Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Q7 - dealer asking $35K for rat damage!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

FWIW I share the building at work with the NM Civil Air patrol. They have numerous Gov vehicles in the lot that can sit for weeks at a time without moving. Vans, pickup trucks, sedans. They have a never ending issue with rabbits and rodents chewing the wiring, disabling the vehicles. Thousands of dollars in repairs.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most dangerous rats here are.... STEALERS... They will chew up your hard earned greens...
Old 06-19-2018, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Force-1
yep,plenty of evidence available for rodent damage worldwide but our attacker is Antechinus,a protected native marsupial.Rodents need to gnaw constantly to arrest their tooth growth.Antechinus is a carnivore and doesn`t need to gnaw,they just love prewarmed soybased treats.Other vehicles regularly parked in the same compound,Jeep Grand Cherokee,BMW 120d,BMW F800GS are unaffected-none of the extensive wiring on the property-only the Audi-and only one section of the harness-that`s simple logic.
I imagine other affected owners just call in pest control and nuke everything in sight.,problem is,in rural areas that affects the whole native food chain from top to bottom and we have a wildlife covenant on the property.
hope i haven`t been too aggressive in my posts-there`s just no other way to vent.....
Old 06-20-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Wombat 1
...there`s just no other way to vent.....
Hmm, did you try head, wall, back and forth rocking motion?

Sorry, couldn't resist. This sucks, I think we all understand your frustration, and frankly, until some lawyer decides to undertake a class action lawsuit, your hands are kind of tied. The only hope you have is that your insurance company will cover the damage or potentially will consider the vehicle a total loss. Venting is good and all, but frankly not sure how we can be of help, other than to sympathize with your position. Audi is not the only vehicle having issues, Ford, Toyota are among others as well: Soy based wiring and rodents. I think this is a direction entire industry is going and until someone figures out what to do about rodent issue, I guess these incidents will continue to happen.

Now, if you consider the other side of the coin, car manufacturer has been sold on the idea of "greener" vehicle by the wiring supplier. These soy based products have been around for a while, As long as the adoption was small and possibly not as wildly distributed, no one saw a huge increase in these rodent incidents. However now, with more data points available, it appears that soy based product does in fact attract some form of rodents. However, that's not necessarily car manufacturer's fault. So until they are told by the court to pay out millions of dollars, euros, pounds, etc. they will insist that everything is fine. Again, it sucks, but that's a broken record with any large institutions out there - cost of doing business.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=gsobol;25169004]Hmm, did you try head, wall, back and forth rocking motion?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

haha-thanks for the empathy-i`ve calmed down a bit and i guess the theory is if you can afford a new car you can afford the repair-what really pissed me off is that Audi Service made a generous profit on the labour repair,the hire company made a profit,everyone profits but the customer??
guess i expected some of the "10,000 Audi vehicles affected annually" as quoted in this forum,was incorrect-trying to find actual figures is understandably difficult.My insurer,Suncorp has ,allegedly,paid out millions in the last few years and i have asked them to verify that figure.am surprised the insurers haven`t done anything as ultimately they are the biggest loser.still no reply from Audi so we will see how it pans out.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Insurer is NEVER a real looser. Every single insurance company is FOR PROFIT type company. There is no way in hell that they would loose the money. They will just simply redistribute the loss between their insured customers, including you. That's how the cookie crumbles.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
Insurer is NEVER a real looser. Every single insurance company is FOR PROFIT type company. There is no way in hell that they would loose the money. They will just simply redistribute the loss between their insured customers, including you. That's how the cookie crumbles.
Every insurance company and every extended warranty company, etc etc,
Old 06-20-2018, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wombat 1
doh,rat damage....
I meant, what was the outcome... but that's been answered.

So sorry man... ugh - I can't rid of them in my house here in SF, but they haven't gnawed on my car yet.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kbond
The dealer said that is all the damage but they will have to charge a lot of labor to get wires redone to all parts of the car. If there was a lot of damage I would worry about how that damage can happen while I drove it but such minor actual damage causing the bill seems like a simple protection to the wires can prevent!
Call your insurance company.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a $50 sonic generator that i installed in the engine area. its on all the time and i am guaranteed no such rat problems.

Quick Reply: 2017 Q7 - dealer asking $35K for rat damage!!