Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Q7 RSE - Review, Horrible Rear Seat Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 SQ7 RSE

I have been reading this thread with interest since about September last year. I bought an Sq7 from a dealer which wasn’t exactly what I wanted (didn’t have RSE) but they did me a great deal taking that one and then factory ordering a monster spec Vorsprung edition, which I picked up yesterday, which does have RSE (a must for my kids).

In advance of collecting it, I decided after reading all the comments, best bet for video playback would be a Seagate Wireless plus WiFi drive thing. I spend about 3 days figuring out how to download films and get them on to the Seagate drive, and spent about 5 hours trying to get it to work tonight. Here’s what happened;

set first rse tablet up, installed Seagate media app, connected to the wireless drive and hey presto, played the films fine (bit stuttery in places but perfectly watchable).

Set up 2nd rse tablet, every single setting on both tablet and in Seagate media app the same - click on a video and it goes to a strange transfer screen and won’t play any of the films that work fine on the other one, just looks like downloading it.

Installed mx player to see if that solved it (installed it on both as I wanted usability the same) you then have to redownload film and it plays - ballache and still won’t play via Seagate.

Now i have mx player installed in the original one that did work, except now it won’t play in Seagate media app - cue me not being happy bunny.

Transferred all the movies to my Mac, then copied them to an SD card. Put SD card in rse and hey presto, plays straight from the video icon on the Audi splash screen on both with no problems (have an SD card in both with films downloaded to each)

moral of the story, stick films in SD card and seems actually quite a good rse system - would have been better and a damn sight simpler with built in dvd/ blu-ray though!, plus I now have yet another redundant nas drive.

Not sure if anyone else has taken delivery of a vorsprung yet as I know they are pretty new, but my impression after a few days as follows;

interior much nicer with the extended leather and better seats

additonal driver aids are good, surround camera is good but not as good as my 7 series

i had the front and rear dash cam installed - they are cool and dropped my insurance but about 60%!

i have dynamic drive pack on mine - totally different car to my 2017 one. Drives so much nicer

weirdly, other than the V5 and the invoice for the car, there is nothing on the car that tells you it’s a vorsprung - looking at the Configurator, the vorsprung is now the only one you can get 22” wheels on. Stupid really as my 2017 has same wheels as the new one so it’s really hard to know it’s the vorsprung edition.

Went for night vision on it, probably total waste of time but it entertains me and I sort of got it free

also oddly, Audi mis-built the car. Mine came with silver wing mirrors which probably harks back to the old s and rs models. Meant to be body coloured as I went orca black, and you can’t actually spec silver - so not sure what Audi were smoking that day!

overall, love the car (only car I have ever bought twice in a row!) but dynamic drive pack is a must on them if anyone is thinking of getting one.

Also, I know rse gets slated, but if you are happy to download films to SD cards and don’t mind not being able to remote control them - I think they are prettt good. Very stingy though you don’t get headphones - I just had to buy two sets of wireless ones, which wasn’t cheap! 🤦*♂️
Old 06-20-2018, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi Everyone, my 2018 Q7 e-tron arrived last week and I had the RSE Mobile Tablets installed, there was a small OS update from Audi for the tablets. I just installed Kodi as per the info in the earlier part of this tread, all works well.
I am fairly happy with them, with a 4G (LTE) sim in the MMI the internet is pretty quick, does all the YouTube, Google suite of programs (Mail, Maps etc).
Robert
Old 06-21-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by watrob
Hi Everyone, my 2018 Q7 e-tron arrived last week and I had the RSE Mobile Tablets installed, there was a small OS update from Audi for the tablets. I just installed Kodi as per the info in the earlier part of this tread, all works well.
I am fairly happy with them, with a 4G (LTE) sim in the MMI the internet is pretty quick, does all the YouTube, Google suite of programs (Mail, Maps etc).
Robert
Curious, the 2018 docent have the embedded sims?
Old 06-21-2018, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry, should have expressed myself a little better, I refer to the sim socket in the clovebox, to me that's an embedded sim as its not using my mobile phone.
Robert
Old 10-10-2018, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to share my experience with RSE. So I purchased a CPO with RSE preparation, despite too many negative reviews about stock RSE tablets I purchased them at the dealer and started playing with them. My goal was to play a video from the a Hard Drive there I downloaded many movies. I couldn't connect a portable hard drive to the USB port, it didn't recognize it also I didn't want any cable using for that connection as well. So my first set up was ugly I was connecting a hard drive to a portable Video Player which is connected to my tablet and hard drive and using HDMI input on a hard drive watching movies. It worked but it had a lot of cables involved and also noisy AC adapter. So the next step I bought a WD wireless pro 3 tb device. It worked perfectly however you need to know one twist. The WD device requires a WD My cloud app. which cannot be installed on the tablet via Google Play because the latest OS version on tablet is Android 4.4.2 and the minimum requirement for the installation is OS 4.4.10. However I was able to install it manually using ES Files APP on android. So I don't need any wires now. This thing fit perfectly in the small middle storage that located between the front seats.
The following users liked this post:
gestalt77 (02-14-2021)
Old 10-18-2018, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry. I haven't been on the forum for a while bit it works great with an iPad Mini 4. The kids use it all the time.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

I gave up on trying to figure it out. I have AT&T as a cell carrier and along with that you get unlimited streaming. So hence the iPads . No problems at all and the Q has wifi. Just amazes me that the German maker can't fix this. Why have RSE, DVD in glove box and can't connect with the RSE. Does not make sense, what a simple cabling issue or wifi tablets....oh well not keeping Q much longer, think I have a half lemon. B brakes installed yesterday at 18k miles. just one issue....
Old 03-15-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm still hoping that the updated MY20 also gets the updated RSE. THAT system really shines...
Old 03-15-2019, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Haven't heard of the updated version yet. As long as iPads and wifi, not thinking worth the price of AUDI TABLETS. Streaming is the thing, dvd going out I think
Old 11-08-2022, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Lol and here my dumbass just purchased them because I think they make my 2019 A7 look nice. Lol I don't even have any kids. Oh well, I did it for aesthetic more than practicality. I'm disappointed it won't be the ones that synced with the front MMI. Although, I just saw a YouTube video of a guy in a Q8 with that specific tablet model so I wonder where the hell he got them from.
Here is his video.
Audi cheapened out. They decided it was easier to get a rinky dink tablet with just a special bracket and Android OS on it. Far cheaper than buying tablets with Nvidia chips that could handle front MMI data transfer. Disappointing. But oh well, I already made partial payments to the guy, may as well commit to my probable bad decision. At least it'll look nice 🤣😂