Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Q7 RSE - Review, Horrible Rear Seat Entertainment System

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AppleTV might be the way to solve this for Apple lovers!

Originally Posted by baltfan
If you have the RSE and hate it, I think you could demand that Audi buy it back from you. That may be the best solution. The video they have online is certainly false advertising.

It is silly for them to say they will take the car back. Just take back the RSE.
Yes, they would likely take it back, and I may just do that... But I had an idea this morning... Perhaps an Apple TV with HDMI out? Feed that into the RSE panel and then the kids can use their iTouch, iPhone (mine don't have phones, just iTouch or iPads), or iPads to AirPlay into the AppleTV and thus onto the screen. Seems silly, but it will likely work and let the kids display their iPad screens on the RSE!

Older AppleTVs will likely be best as they are small and the higher resolution of the newer models is not needed (but the AirPlay functionality does work better with the newer AppleTV models). Use the Car's WiFi Hotspot to let the AppleTV and iOS devices communicate between each other!

Now... if there were only a 115 VAC outlet in the back like all the other brands that have rear seat entertainment... Time for a 12VD to 115 VAC invertor... one more piece of hardware to hide.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also recently (last week) traded in my 2011 Q7 for a 2017 Prestige and also ordered the tablets for the rear. I agree with all the post up to this point...totally baffled by how independent they really are. Its like we bought $50 android devices and they are giving us an elegant way to charge them with the hook up!!!! I can't even figure out how to play the sound thru the cabin speakers vs thru the tablet...

In the 2011 I had Vizualogic headrest screens with built in DVD's...once the DVD players broke, I actually bought a Roku and did what 17Q74me is thinking of doing with the Apple TV. The advantage of the Roku (also HDMI) is that the remote for it is bluetooth so you can actually hide the Roku player out of sight and the remote still works. Also with the Roku you can connect a external hardrive to it (via mini USB) and it can play all movies off of that as well.

Luckily I pulled the roku out before trading in the '11 and I might be setting it back up!! BTW there is a car adapter for the Roku for power in the car.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 17Q74me
Yes, they would likely take it back, and I may just do that... But I had an idea this morning... Perhaps an Apple TV with HDMI out? Feed that into the RSE panel and then the kids can use their iTouch, iPhone (mine don't have phones, just iTouch or iPads), or iPads to AirPlay into the AppleTV and thus onto the screen. Seems silly, but it will likely work and let the kids display their iPad screens on the RSE!

Older AppleTVs will likely be best as they are small and the higher resolution of the newer models is not needed (but the AirPlay functionality does work better with the newer AppleTV models). Use the Car's WiFi Hotspot to let the AppleTV and iOS devices communicate between each other!

Now... if there were only a 115 VAC outlet in the back like all the other brands that have rear seat entertainment... Time for a 12VD to 115 VAC invertor... one more piece of hardware to hide.
I am missing something. How does this solve you DVD problem? Are you talking about streaming to the Apple TV? If is, why would that work better than Netflix? You kids iPads can already link to the hotspot. They don't need the Apple TV. So, what is the advantage?

I am sure I am missing something because you have obviously really thought about this issue.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wonder if something like this would help

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-optical-smarthub-review-almost-genius/

Last edited by GK12345EMAIL; 03-05-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL
I wonder if something like this would help

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-optical-smarthub-review-almost-genius/
This would at least have less wires. Nice find.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can anyone post an image of the RSE tablets from your Q7s? I thought that Q7 gets those silver tablets like the ones in Bentayga that work with the MMI (put in navigation details and send it to main front screen)? But I was looking at the brochure at the dealer and it seems US spec gets some really cheap looking plastic and thick tablets that look nothing like the ones online? I thought maybe they changed them, but SQ7 was shown off with those slick, silver tablets again.

Any picture would be appreciated if you can, I don't want to spend $2k on something that doesn't look like $2k worth.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

There are pics on another thread.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I returned my RSE system to the dealer 4 weeks to the day I purchased them. I too spent hours researching and calling support trying to figure out how to stream a movie (dvd) from the car to the monitors as I was assured multiple times this was an option. In a day of thinner and smaller electronics with greater memory, these remind me of the brick Motorola used to disguise as a cell phone. Light years behind the system demo'd at CES that you can find with a quick Youtube search. I suppose I will hook up a portable player for the little one and let the oldest use up the 6 months of free wifi on the ipad and hope some aftermarket electronics genius will come up with something Audi should have developed from the beginning. Who knows, maybe the GLS will impress me with its technology and I'll make the switch.

Originally Posted by 17Q74me

Old 03-06-2016, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by imcav8r
I returned my RSE system to the dealer 4 weeks to the day I purchased them. I too spent hours researching and calling support trying to figure out how to stream a movie (dvd) from the car to the monitors as I was assured multiple times this was an option. In a day of thinner and smaller electronics with greater memory, these remind me of the brick Motorola used to disguise as a cell phone. Light years behind the system demo'd at CES that you can find with a quick Youtube search. I suppose I will hook up a portable player for the little one and let the oldest use up the 6 months of free wifi on the ipad and hope some aftermarket electronics genius will come up with something Audi should have developed from the beginning. Who knows, maybe the GLS will impress me with its technology and I'll make the switch.
Did the dealer give you any trouble taking them back?
Old 03-06-2016, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We ran into the issue of rear seat entertainment in my wife's cadillac. I know it's not an elegant solution but
I bought a pair of Sylvania dual screen/dual drive DVD players the hang on the seat backs for $120 off amazon. For the must part they work fine. The drawback with them is it's not possible to change the DVD while driving. We reserve using them on long drives and it's fine.
I think when we order our Q7, we will just get the seat prep in case Audi finds a solution to play a DVD through there tablets in the future.

Quick Reply: 2017 Q7 RSE - Review, Horrible Rear Seat Entertainment System