Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2017 Q7 Tire Issue/ACC Alignment

Old 06-23-2017, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Q7 Tire Issue/ACC Alignment

I have had a 2017 Q7 for nine months. The Car came with 21" ContiSportContact5 tires. After only 10,000 miles, the front tires are completely bald and the back tires are close behind. This is my wife's car and she is a pretty cautious driver. We have never had issues with tires before (she has driven a Q7 in the past as well as other luxury SUV's.

First, shouldn't these tires last longer than 10,000 miles (no matter how the car is driven)?

Second, I am being told by Audi that after replacing the tires I also need to do an ACC alignment (at $1,200). This seems absurd that after having the car for nine months, I am now coming out of pocket $3,000 to replace the tires and do an ACC alignment.

Third, Audi is also telling me that the only tires they have access to are the same exact tires that are on my Q7 now. Again, this seems strange to me. Based on this, I am going to be changing my tires every 9 months.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

First, many here have reported this issue. Either way you have to replace it, you have no choice. Go to tirerack.com and see what options you have on that size. They will provide you alternatives if you are not happy with the current make.

Regarding the alignment, that makes no sense. And an Adapative Cruise Control Alignment?!?!? LOL. Sounds like its time for a new dealer
Old 06-23-2017, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Summer performance tires usually have bad tread wear. If Tirerack has an all season option, I would go for that one.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

As others mentioned this has been discussed in some other threads. I got 9400 miles out of mine (same Conti tires). Conti nor Audi would replace under any warranty. I made the mistake of waiting till my 10k service (went in a little early cause of the tire wear) before planning a rotation. I believe had I rotated at 4k I would have at least doubled the life (which still would have sucked).

Summer rubber and this vehicle are not a good mix "wear" wise with the Q7. Drives great, but no way was I going back to the same tires. As you probably know there is no all season tire in the exact OEM size, however Conti makes a tire called the Extreme Contact DWS that comes in a 295/40ZR21 that myself and others have reported work and fit jut fine. I got these are they drive as good or better then the summer OEM tire did and being an all season I am hopeful these will most definitely last longer. My alignment was fine, simply just needed the new tires which I was able to get my dealer to order and install for me with no problem (thought maybe cause of the size thing they would not).

As more and more owners (with the 21" summer Conti) from this past year approach the 9k to 10k milage range I have a feeling you are going to see some more complaints on the forum.

Last edited by Meyecul; 06-23-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tire rack lists three 21" summer tires. Conti, Goodyear and Pirelli. Contisport has the highest rated tread wear of the three (420).
Old 06-24-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the day there was a class action filed in connection with the original Acura NSX because it had special summer tires that wore extremely quickly. The net result was 3 or 4 sets of free tires for the owners. Tires on a car that is driven normally with a proper alignment should last longer than 10k.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by millerma@gtlaw.com
Second, I am being told by Audi that after replacing the tires I also need to do an ACC alignment (at $1,200).
I have heard similar lines from the Audi Service tech when requesting them to perform wheel rotation on my Q7. Upon cross-checking with differenr service tech, he said that was not needed at all! So, there is indeed some confusion in the Audi camp regarding the need to perform ACC alignment after rotating/replacing tires. I would suggest reaching out to a knowledgable service tech for the correct information.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sr007
I have heard similar lines from the Audi Service tech when requesting them to perform wheel rotation on my Q7. Upon cross-checking with differenr service tech, he said that was not needed at all! So, there is indeed some confusion in the Audi camp regarding the need to perform ACC alignment after rotating/replacing tires. I would suggest reaching out to a knowledgable service tech for the correct information.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
You only need to realign the ACC if the thrust angle of the vehicle changes which would involve changing the (rear I think) alignment. Rotation/replacement are irrelevant.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Jistel
You only need to realign the ACC if the thrust angle of the vehicle changes which would involve changing the (rear I think) alignment. Rotation/replacement are irrelevant.
Thats what I thought too, however the service techs I spoke to may have been misinformed.

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by millerma@gtlaw.com

Second, I am being told by Audi that after replacing the tires I also need to do an ACC alignment (at $1,200). This seems absurd that after having the car for nine months, I am now coming out of pocket $3,000 to replace the tires and do an ACC alignment.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
I've had my Q7 for 3 months (4K miles) and it's been into the dealer twice for a Safety System:Malfunction warning (DAP Warning). The most recent last week and my SA told me that it's always covered under warranty and the first step in resetting the computer system is to rack the car and align the ACC. So, you should not have to pay for this service, if you changed tires and the System Malfunction warning comes on.

Last edited by S-pack; 06-25-2017 at 10:05 AM.