Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Audi Q7 oil change question, Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2018 Audi Q7 oil change question, Help!!

Hi,
I have two question here for help
1. Can somebody give a torque spec of the oil drain plug and also the torque for oil filter?
2. Are there anyone do service by their own for the new generation audi Q7?
Since I just move to Canada from US, I can not purchase audi care in Canada for a US version Q7. The local dealer quote the second service of my Q7 is 530 CAD, I think is too much for a small service and it is far more expensive compare to Audi care. Recently i thought I can do it by myself. I have done many routine maintenance for German car including my 2011 BMW 535, but not the new models. I am appreciate if someone can give me the suggestion and Torque Spec. Thank you.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

2.0 or 3.0L?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
2.0 or 3.0L?
3.0L
Old 01-19-2019, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I never use a torque wrench for those items. “Snug” is the setting I use for my cerebral torque wrench, and should that not be tight enough it can always be tighter.

Also, if you don’t feel like paying Audi dealer prices, you can always look for an independent garage. There’s always one around that specializes in German cars. The Porsche dealer charges $400 for a brake flush, and the Indy across the street from my office charges $200.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Officially Audi uses oil extractor to drain (suck) the oil via refill inlet. Oil filter is on top of the engine, so you don't have to crawl under the vehicle. If you decide to go underneath, you will have to remove a lot of panels to get to the bottom of the engine. Per service manual, drain plug should be torqued to 30Nm. Most people use "german" torque = "goodntight"
Old 01-19-2019, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gsobol
Officially Audi uses oil extractor to drain (suck) the oil via refill inlet. Oil filter is on top of the engine, so you don't have to crawl under the vehicle. If you decide to go underneath, you will have to remove a lot of panels to get to the bottom of the engine. Per service manual, drain plug should be torqued to 30Nm. Most people use "german" torque = "goodntight"
Thanks. I check of the bottom of engine, it seems that the drain plug is in a hole of plastic panel, maybe I am wrong. Do The oil extractor can suck all the oil out of oil pan? For many years l do not believe it, but I still want to know if it is right to take all oil out.
Could you tell me where I can get the service manual? I see there are some VGA group car manual sell in ebay but I don't know if it is including the new model of Audi.

Thanks again
Old 01-19-2019, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I asked my Audi parts guy for a FSM (Factory Service Manual) when I bought my car. He claimed printed manuals didn’t exist. Best I’ve got is the PDF stuff lots of people here use from erWin. No FSM compares to Toyota that I’ve found anyway...

Last edited by BryonL; 01-19-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BryonL
I asked my Audi parts guy for a FSM (Factory Service Manual) when I bought my car. He claimed printed manuals didn’t exist. Best I’ve got is the PDF stuff lots of people here use from Erwin. No FSM compares to Toyota that I’ve found anyway...
Thanks
But the Erwin is too expensive. I saw their webside and need to subscribe which is $ 35 per day. And l don't know how to get PDF for repair and service. Could you help me to understand Erwin?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It’s been over a year since I’ve been to the site, but last I checked, you can pay $35 for 24 hours access. Then download everything you can handle. I think I got 23 manuals (368 MB worth) that’s $1.52/manual. There is even a maintenance manual that answers most of your initial questions.

As stated previously, Audi suggests Extracting the oil from the dipstick tube. There is no torque listing for a 3.0 gas burner, there is however a value of 30 Nm for a 4L V8 Diesel engine that drains from below.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by BryonL
As stated previously, Audi suggests Extracting the oil from the dipstick tube. There is no torque listing for a 3.0 gas burner, there is however a value of 30 Nm for a 4L V8 Diesel engine that drains from below.
It's under 3.0 TFSI Supercharged engine service manual (page 169 / 170)

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi Q7 oil change question, Help!!