Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Q7 A/C Whistle Sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Q7 A/C Whistle Sound

Bought a new 2018 Q7 Prestige in May 2018 in US. Couple months into the winter months I noticed when the heat is set to high there is a pretty annoying whistle sound coming from the right side of the car. The sound is much worse if the car has been sitting out cold for a while and happens maybe 70% of the time. I took the car to the dealer and was told that they couldn't reproduce the sound, I went on a test drive with the tech and we were able to hear the sound but it was rather weak because the car was already warmed on the way to the dealer. We also test drove another Q7 and it didn't have the same issue. I was told that they are not sure whether they need to take the whole dashboard off to get to the compressor of the a/c unit and it might produce more random noise if they take off the dashboard. When I asked if they can find out if they need to take the whole dashboard off or just the glove box they don't know the answer.

My questions are:
1. Does anyone else have this issue?
2. Is there any way I can find out if the whole dashboard needs to be removed to get to the compressor? I might just live with the sound but it's getting really annoying...

Appreciate any input!
Old 01-19-2019, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1. No
  2. The compressor is in the engine bay...evaporators are usually behind the dash
  3. The noise could be something in the vent, heater box, stuck vent door etc
  4. Nice they want to work on it..sounds like a good dealer
Old 01-19-2019, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My honey actually had this similar soundlast week. Dealer checked it out as did I but we could not reproduce it either. Our noise came from front upper center vents. When changing airflow to feet, noise ceases. Weather was 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit. So, we have yet to duplicate or figure out the noise.On my 98 S10, the blower motor squeals. That’s the first thing I thought of when I was informed of the sound. If it turns out to be that, we will have to take some dash panels apart Im sure.
Old 12-13-2021, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@noodle9527 Did you ever get this issue resolved? My 2018 is doing the same thing and the dealer is in the process of troubleshooting now. They have confirmed the noise is there and are trying to pinpoint it.

Originally Posted by noodle9527
Bought a new 2018 Q7 Prestige in May 2018 in US. Couple months into the winter months I noticed when the heat is set to high there is a pretty annoying whistle sound coming from the right side of the car. The sound is much worse if the car has been sitting out cold for a while and happens maybe 70% of the time. I took the car to the dealer and was told that they couldn't reproduce the sound, I went on a test drive with the tech and we were able to hear the sound but it was rather weak because the car was already warmed on the way to the dealer. We also test drove another Q7 and it didn't have the same issue. I was told that they are not sure whether they need to take the whole dashboard off to get to the compressor of the a/c unit and it might produce more random noise if they take off the dashboard. When I asked if they can find out if they need to take the whole dashboard off or just the glove box they don't know the answer.

My questions are:
1. Does anyone else have this issue?
2. Is there any way I can find out if the whole dashboard needs to be removed to get to the compressor? I might just live with the sound but it's getting really annoying...

Appreciate any input!