AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   2018 Q7 Cabin Heat (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/2018-q7-cabin-heat-2967002/)

Burfdaycake 02-09-2019 10:51 PM

2018 Q7 Cabin Heat

Hi all,

We just picked up a 2018 Q7 A couple weeks ago and I just have a question about the cabin heat.

With all 4 zones on auto we’re not getting any heat out of the center dash vents, even when we turn it all the way up to Hi. Is that normal?

We took the Q7 out on a day trip yesterday, and it was quite cold in the center console area, and for our legs closest to the center console. I kept having to switch it off auto to blow heat out of the center vents, but then the windshield would fog up. It was about -25C outside.

I’m bringing it in Monday to have it looked at, but just thought I’d ask.

SYMAWD 02-09-2019 11:02 PM

Normal, in auto the heat blows out of the floor vents and the 2 outer dash vents.

Burfdaycake 02-10-2019 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by SYMAWD (Post 25274180)
Normal, in auto the heat blows out of the floor vents and the 2 outer dash vents.

Do you ever find that the auto mode can’t keep up in cold weather?

NABS4 02-10-2019 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Burfdaycake (Post 25274341)

Do you ever find that the auto mode can’t keep up in cold weather?

Never

mattwhit 02-10-2019 08:25 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...3c264eeabd.jpg
I do notice that the heater is pretty conservative for the first 10-15 minutes of a drive (I do have a heated garage so it might be tricking the algorithm, example: car starts at 60 ambient drops to 20 in five minutes)... that said, after 15 or so minutes of drive, it's almost too warm! Heat only from the floor and side vents in full auto (normal to keep hot air out of your face and drying your eyes out)... you can manually adjust the vent output if you desire... I'm wondering too if your footwell temperature is set to cooler (not sure if this is affected in heating mode or just cooling) Might want to see where it's set and if adjusting helps your situation. (assuming your Q has this feature, you mentioned 4Zone, not sure if the footwell temp is only on certain packages)

Polonium1 02-10-2019 08:39 AM

This has been a challenge with the Q7. It does take some time to heat up. This is a problem if your rides are less than 10 minutes.

BigKutta 02-10-2019 09:23 AM

I only set mine on Auto, and have never had an issue getting the cabin very toasty even during the cold polar vortex. Any system will only crank full air once the air its cranking is warm. This is evident in Auto mode, when the system starts blowing out after several minutes. If you do it manually, you are only blowing cold air initially until it warms up

Burfdaycake 02-10-2019 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by mattwhit (Post 25274369)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...3c264eeabd.jpg
I do notice that the heater is pretty conservative for the first 10-15 minutes of a drive (I do have a heated garage so it might be tricking the algorithm, example: car starts at 60 ambient drops to 20 in five minutes)... that said, after 15 or so minutes of drive, it's almost too warm! Heat only from the floor and side vents in full auto (normal to keep hot air out of your face and drying your eyes out)... you can manually adjust the vent output if you desire... I'm wondering too if your footwell temperature is set to cooler (not sure if this is affected in heating mode or just cooling) Might want to see where it's set and if adjusting helps your situation. (assuming your Q has this feature, you mentioned 4Zone, not sure if the footwell temp is only on certain packages)

Thanks for that, I’ll have a look for that footwell temperature in the settings.

Originally Posted by Polonium1 (Post 25274385)
This has been a challenge with the Q7. It does take some time to heat up. This is a problem if your rides are less than 10 minutes.

This trip was on a two hour road trip. Mostly had it set to 22C auto. The side vents were warm, but the car was freezing in the middle of the cabin. To the point that I didn’t want to rest my hand on the shift lever.

Originally Posted by BigKutta (Post 25274406)
I only set mine on Auto, and have never had an issue getting the cabin very toasty even during the cold polar vortex. Any system will only crank full air once the air its cranking is warm. This is evident in Auto mode, when the system starts blowing out after several minutes. If you do it manually, you are only blowing cold air initially until it warms up

See above.

I definitely think there’s something wrong here. We’ll see what the techs say.

mattwhit 02-10-2019 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Burfdaycake (Post 25274544)

Thanks for that, I’ll have a look for that footwell temperature in the settings.

This trip was on a two hour road trip. Mostly had it set to 22C auto. The side vents were warm, but the car was freezing in the middle of the cabin. To the point that I didn’t want to rest my hand on the shift lever.

See above.

I definitely think there’s something wrong here. We’ll see what the techs say.

FWIW... driving around today I was messing with the footwell temperature settings, definitely makes a difference...

MoInEd 02-10-2019 03:44 PM

Two days ago I was driving for about an hour (mostly in traffic though) and the heat gauge wasn't up more than 3 steps yet. Inside the cabin on "Hi" and high blowing and it was still cold (-26C outside).
I find the car takes a lot longer to warm up if the RPM is low and even when it gets high it takes quite a while to warm up inside the cabin compared to our other SUV. Mentioned it to the dealer when I took for service last time and they said it's normal. The list of things I'm not 100% happy with is just growing. I had higher expectation from the car.