AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   2018 Q7 Cabin Heat (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/2018-q7-cabin-heat-2967002/)

Burfdaycake 02-09-2019 10:51 PM

2018 Q7 Cabin Heat

Hi all,

We just picked up a 2018 Q7 A couple weeks ago and I just have a question about the cabin heat.

With all 4 zones on auto we’re not getting any heat out of the center dash vents, even when we turn it all the way up to Hi. Is that normal?

We took the Q7 out on a day trip yesterday, and it was quite cold in the center console area, and for our legs closest to the center console. I kept having to switch it off auto to blow heat out of the center vents, but then the windshield would fog up. It was about -25C outside.

I’m bringing it in Monday to have it looked at, but just thought I’d ask.

SYMAWD 02-09-2019 11:02 PM

Normal, in auto the heat blows out of the floor vents and the 2 outer dash vents.

Burfdaycake 02-10-2019 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by SYMAWD (Post 25274180)
Normal, in auto the heat blows out of the floor vents and the 2 outer dash vents.

Do you ever find that the auto mode can’t keep up in cold weather?

NABS4 02-10-2019 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Burfdaycake (Post 25274341)

Do you ever find that the auto mode can’t keep up in cold weather?

Never

mattwhit 02-10-2019 08:25 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...3c264eeabd.jpg
I do notice that the heater is pretty conservative for the first 10-15 minutes of a drive (I do have a heated garage so it might be tricking the algorithm, example: car starts at 60 ambient drops to 20 in five minutes)... that said, after 15 or so minutes of drive, it's almost too warm! Heat only from the floor and side vents in full auto (normal to keep hot air out of your face and drying your eyes out)... you can manually adjust the vent output if you desire... I'm wondering too if your footwell temperature is set to cooler (not sure if this is affected in heating mode or just cooling) Might want to see where it's set and if adjusting helps your situation. (assuming your Q has this feature, you mentioned 4Zone, not sure if the footwell temp is only on certain packages)

Polonium1 02-10-2019 08:39 AM

This has been a challenge with the Q7. It does take some time to heat up. This is a problem if your rides are less than 10 minutes.

BigKutta 02-10-2019 09:23 AM

I only set mine on Auto, and have never had an issue getting the cabin very toasty even during the cold polar vortex. Any system will only crank full air once the air its cranking is warm. This is evident in Auto mode, when the system starts blowing out after several minutes. If you do it manually, you are only blowing cold air initially until it warms up

Burfdaycake 02-10-2019 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by mattwhit (Post 25274369)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...3c264eeabd.jpg
I do notice that the heater is pretty conservative for the first 10-15 minutes of a drive (I do have a heated garage so it might be tricking the algorithm, example: car starts at 60 ambient drops to 20 in five minutes)... that said, after 15 or so minutes of drive, it's almost too warm! Heat only from the floor and side vents in full auto (normal to keep hot air out of your face and drying your eyes out)... you can manually adjust the vent output if you desire... I'm wondering too if your footwell temperature is set to cooler (not sure if this is affected in heating mode or just cooling) Might want to see where it's set and if adjusting helps your situation. (assuming your Q has this feature, you mentioned 4Zone, not sure if the footwell temp is only on certain packages)

Thanks for that, I’ll have a look for that footwell temperature in the settings.

Originally Posted by Polonium1 (Post 25274385)
This has been a challenge with the Q7. It does take some time to heat up. This is a problem if your rides are less than 10 minutes.

This trip was on a two hour road trip. Mostly had it set to 22C auto. The side vents were warm, but the car was freezing in the middle of the cabin. To the point that I didn’t want to rest my hand on the shift lever.

Originally Posted by BigKutta (Post 25274406)
I only set mine on Auto, and have never had an issue getting the cabin very toasty even during the cold polar vortex. Any system will only crank full air once the air its cranking is warm. This is evident in Auto mode, when the system starts blowing out after several minutes. If you do it manually, you are only blowing cold air initially until it warms up

See above.

I definitely think there’s something wrong here. We’ll see what the techs say.

mattwhit 02-10-2019 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Burfdaycake (Post 25274544)

Thanks for that, I’ll have a look for that footwell temperature in the settings.

This trip was on a two hour road trip. Mostly had it set to 22C auto. The side vents were warm, but the car was freezing in the middle of the cabin. To the point that I didn’t want to rest my hand on the shift lever.

See above.

I definitely think there’s something wrong here. We’ll see what the techs say.

FWIW... driving around today I was messing with the footwell temperature settings, definitely makes a difference...

MoInEd 02-10-2019 03:44 PM

Two days ago I was driving for about an hour (mostly in traffic though) and the heat gauge wasn't up more than 3 steps yet. Inside the cabin on "Hi" and high blowing and it was still cold (-26C outside).
I find the car takes a lot longer to warm up if the RPM is low and even when it gets high it takes quite a while to warm up inside the cabin compared to our other SUV. Mentioned it to the dealer when I took for service last time and they said it's normal. The list of things I'm not 100% happy with is just growing. I had higher expectation from the car.

mattwhit 02-10-2019 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by MoInEd (Post 25274576)
Two days ago I was driving for about an hour (mostly in traffic though) and the heat gauge wasn't up more than 3 steps yet. Inside the cabin on "Hi" and high blowing and it was still cold (-26C outside).
I find the car takes a lot longer to warm up if the RPM is low and even when it gets high it takes quite a while to warm up inside the cabin compared to our other SUV. Mentioned it to the dealer when I took for service last time and they said it's normal. The list of things I'm not 100% happy with is just growing. I had higher expectation from the car.

How's your coolant level? If it's good... I'd say you have a thermostat that's stuck open (or a cooling loop issue)... What does the temp read in the VC (assuming you have it) when on the info display (gauges small, picture of the Q, temp readout below) mine will go to half on the left temp gauge (about 5 steps), then the oil temp slowly creeps up to about 190F (88C) on the info temp display, this can take 10-15 minutes when it's really cold) also, how about your radiator louvers, are they closed when you first start the car? (look through the grill, you you should see plastic louvers closed, not the aluminum fins of the A/C condenser.) Assuming you have the 3.0T (2.0T would in theory take longer to produce heat)... these smaller engines are much more efficient and product less waste heat of engines past... that said, they're engineered to come to optimal operating temperature as quickly as possible as to reduce emissions.

gsobol 02-10-2019 06:12 PM

2.0T or 3.0T ?

MoInEd 02-10-2019 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by mattwhit (Post 25274601)
How's your coolant level? If it's good... I'd say you have a thermostat that's stuck open (or a cooling loop issue)... What does the temp read in the VC (assuming you have it) when on the info display (gauges small, picture of the Q, temp readout below) mine will go to half on the left temp gauge (about 5 steps), then the water temp slowly creeps up to about 190F (88C) on the info temp display, this can take 10-15 minutes when it's really cold) also, how about your radiator louvers, are they closed when you first start the car? (look through the grill, you you should see plastic louvers closed, not the aluminum fins of the A/C condenser.) Assuming you have the 3.0T (2.0T would in theory take longer to produce heat)... these smaller engines are much more efficient and product less waste heat of engines past... that said, they're engineered to come to optimal operating temperature as quickly as possible as to reduce emissions.

It's the 3.0T. I didn't check the VC. I don't set it on Auto. I put the temp at Hi and set the rest manually as well. Car is never parked outside in very cold temperatures for extended periods. My house garage is heated and in the morning the gauge does come up to the mid-point fairly quickly but at work the garage is not heated and when the outside temp. is very cold like these days it takes a looooong time to get to mid point (90C). I haven't looked at radiator louvers to see if they are closed but will check tomorrow.

JBaumgart 02-10-2019 07:34 PM

On a recent drive when we were in the worst of the cold I also noticed that the car was slow to warm up, and nothing resembling warm was coming from the vents - and it wasn't exactly warm coming from the floor vents either. I told myself, "Sure glad my rear end and my hands are toasty". ;) I had set the temp to 74 degrees, using the "Auto" setting, and when that didn't work I tried various manual settings, but still couldn't get the car to blow warm air that I could actually feel.

Haven't had a chance to experiment with it since then, and hoping I'll be able to figure things out, before the next Vortex hits. :eek:

MoInEd 02-10-2019 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBaumgart (Post 25274645)
On a recent drive when we were in the worst of the cold I also noticed that the car was slow to warm up, and nothing resembling warm was coming from the vents - and it wasn't exactly warm coming from the floor vents either. I told myself, "Sure glad my rear end and my hands are toasty". ;) I had set the temp to 74 degrees, using the "Auto" setting, and when that didn't work I tried various manual settings, but still couldn't get the car to blow warm air that I could actually feel.

Haven't had a chance to experiment with it since then, and hoping I'll be able to figure things out, before the next Vortex hits. :eek:

Yep, I use the steering wheel and seat warmers. The seat warmer works great but the steering wheel never gets warm enough for me, just barely warm.
We have been in this cold snap (-20 to -30C) for a couple of weeks ...

gsobol 02-11-2019 05:07 AM

When the temps came down to single digits (in fahrenheit - probably somewhere below 10C), the 3.0T warmed up in about 10min. However, all local roads, no highway, not a lot of idling on red lights, engine spent most of the time around 2K rpms. I suspect that if I started driving and got straight on the highway, it would take much longer to warm up. It's nice to have cold package for those days when the polar vortex visits the town.

MoInEd 02-11-2019 07:54 AM

Someone mentioned above the louvers in front of radiator: I don't see anything that opens/closes. It's in open position before I started and after I stopped (I can see radiator fins).
Here are two photos taken, one after 31 minutes of driving and still temp not reaching the 90C and another one after over an hour; it had reached the 90C on the gauge but I still had the heating temp at high and full blown.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...584b84baeb.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...5e169a0bdc.jpg

mattwhit 02-11-2019 09:07 AM

MoInEd, what year is your Q? Here's a shot through my grill.. louvers are closed...

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...733169baad.jpg

MoInEd 02-11-2019 09:13 AM

2018 (bought in Sept).

dohturdima 02-11-2019 09:24 AM

Now that I think about it, my Q7 (3.0) also takes a while to warm up - have to switch from Auto to manual Floor/forward vents in order to get it warm quickly. I had the same issue with the HVAC of my other car, when set to Auto - but it was a sedan and it would get there eventually. Q7 has a much larger salon so seems to take a lot longer.

mattwhit 02-11-2019 09:47 AM

BLIND. Shutter. "The official part name" in the square box...

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...dc1d131ced.png

MoInEd 02-11-2019 02:38 PM

Ok, after took the car out of garage today stopped and looked at the shutters and they are closed. So it seems they work as supposed to. Also it warmed up much faster this afternoon at -18C outside. So maybe it just cant keep up with below -25C. A bit disappointing though.

Burfdaycake 02-11-2019 06:37 PM

The dealer says it’s normal. I did adjust the footwell temperature, it was set to the middle. I also opened the wide vent, it seems to leak a little warm air. I’ll see how that goes.

NABS4 02-11-2019 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by MoInEd (Post 25275162)
Ok, after took the car out of garage today stopped and looked at the shutters and they are closed. So it seems they work as supposed to. Also it warmed up much faster this afternoon at -18C outside. So maybe it just cant keep up with below -25C. A bit disappointing though.

I think there’s something wrong with your car. The water temp of mine gets to 90 within 10 minutes, always, and probably closer to about 7-8 min. Oil temp is another matter. It takes about 15 min to hit 60, and about 25 min to hit 80 in cold ambient temps. Also, I rarely touch the climate controls. Set @ 20 in auto.

MoInEd 02-12-2019 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by NABS4 (Post 25275355)

I think there’s something wrong with your car. The water temp of mine gets to 90 within 10 minutes, always, and probably closer to about 7-8 min. Oil temp is another matter. It takes about 15 min to hit 60, and about 25 min to hit 80 in cold ambient temps. Also, I rarely touch the climate controls. Set @ 20 in auto.

That's interesting given that we are in the same city. What's your typical commute like? highway with high speeds? I'm typically in rush hour and lots of slow/stop/slow/stop and maybe the engine doesn't have good chance. Yet today I drove relatively easily and it sure wasn't at 90 with 10min (probably not even 15).

JT4 02-13-2019 03:49 AM

The heat in our Q7 works fine..

Now granted different vehicle however what you're describing seems very similar to what I was experiencing in my Allroad. I usually keep the temp in my cars set to 72-74 depending on how cold it is, but I would have to keep the temp setting on "High" for the first 45-50mins of driving especially after the first start of the day. And even after 45 mins if I adjusted the temp below 80 it would still blow cool (not cold) air..

Took it in for service and fortunately the technician was able to duplicate the issue exactly as I described it, when the temp was set to anything but "High" it would blow cool air.. He found that one of the coolant hoses was severely pinched, and he also noticed a slight coolant leak around the thermostat housing.. So he replaced the hose, installed a new thermostat, flushed and replaced the coolant and now everything is working as it should.. Finally I am getting heat with the temp setting in the 70's ..

Good Luck..

Paul Collurafici 02-13-2019 04:58 AM

But how do you get air out of the middle vents? What does the light up button do?

NABS4 02-13-2019 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by MoInEd (Post 25275866)
That's interesting given that we are in the same city. What's your typical commute like? highway with high speeds? I'm typically in rush hour and lots of slow/stop/slow/stop and maybe the engine doesn't have good chance. Yet today I drove relatively easily and it sure wasn't at 90 with 10min (probably not even 15).

My DD is the SQ5. My wife is the primary Q7 driver and it usually gets driven all over the south side, but little freeway time. Even in the -30s getting heat is no issue.

Wires 02-18-2019 07:54 AM

Couple of notes OP:
1) Car doesn't necessarily reach 90C always. The temp you have on your display (~85C) is normal. It hovers between 85C (more power) up to 95C (more efficient). In colder weather and with the cabin heat on high, you will typically be keeping it at the lower ends of the scale.
2) Putting cabin heat on "HI" doesn't give more heat, it's just more fan. You still only get whatever the engine temp is at for heat. Audi is a bit different from other vehicles with auto climate control since in cold weather, it doesn't start ramping up the fan speed once the engine gets warm enough (others typically go almost to high). Audi keeps theirs lower to gentle warm the cabin, but it does feel a bit more "drafty". You might have better luck with either turning the temp up slightly so that the car forces a higher fan level vs full on HI.