AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   2018 Q7 Cabin Heat (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/2018-q7-cabin-heat-2967002/)

mattwhit 02-11-2019 09:47 AM

BLIND. Shutter. "The official part name" in the square box...

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...dc1d131ced.png

MoInEd 02-11-2019 02:38 PM

Ok, after took the car out of garage today stopped and looked at the shutters and they are closed. So it seems they work as supposed to. Also it warmed up much faster this afternoon at -18C outside. So maybe it just cant keep up with below -25C. A bit disappointing though.

Burfdaycake 02-11-2019 06:37 PM

The dealer says it’s normal. I did adjust the footwell temperature, it was set to the middle. I also opened the wide vent, it seems to leak a little warm air. I’ll see how that goes.

NABS4 02-11-2019 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by MoInEd (Post 25275162)
Ok, after took the car out of garage today stopped and looked at the shutters and they are closed. So it seems they work as supposed to. Also it warmed up much faster this afternoon at -18C outside. So maybe it just cant keep up with below -25C. A bit disappointing though.

I think there’s something wrong with your car. The water temp of mine gets to 90 within 10 minutes, always, and probably closer to about 7-8 min. Oil temp is another matter. It takes about 15 min to hit 60, and about 25 min to hit 80 in cold ambient temps. Also, I rarely touch the climate controls. Set @ 20 in auto.

MoInEd 02-12-2019 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by NABS4 (Post 25275355)

I think there’s something wrong with your car. The water temp of mine gets to 90 within 10 minutes, always, and probably closer to about 7-8 min. Oil temp is another matter. It takes about 15 min to hit 60, and about 25 min to hit 80 in cold ambient temps. Also, I rarely touch the climate controls. Set @ 20 in auto.

That's interesting given that we are in the same city. What's your typical commute like? highway with high speeds? I'm typically in rush hour and lots of slow/stop/slow/stop and maybe the engine doesn't have good chance. Yet today I drove relatively easily and it sure wasn't at 90 with 10min (probably not even 15).

JT4 02-13-2019 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by MoInEd (Post 25274576)
Two days ago I was driving for about an hour (mostly in traffic though) and the heat gauge wasn't up more than 3 steps yet. Inside the cabin on "Hi" and high blowing and it was still cold (-26C outside).
I find the car takes a lot longer to warm up if the RPM is low and even when it gets high it takes quite a while to warm up inside the cabin compared to our other SUV. Mentioned it to the dealer when I took for service last time and they said it's normal. The list of things I'm not 100% happy with is just growing. I had higher expectation from the car.

The heat in our Q7 works fine..

Now granted different vehicle however what you're describing seems very similar to what I was experiencing in my Allroad. I usually keep the temp in my cars set to 72-74 depending on how cold it is, but I would have to keep the temp setting on "High" for the first 45-50mins of driving especially after the first start of the day. And even after 45 mins if I adjusted the temp below 80 it would still blow cool (not cold) air..

Took it in for service and fortunately the technician was able to duplicate the issue exactly as I described it, when the temp was set to anything but "High" it would blow cool air.. He found that one of the coolant hoses was severely pinched, and he also noticed a slight coolant leak around the thermostat housing.. So he replaced the hose, installed a new thermostat, flushed and replaced the coolant and now everything is working as it should.. Finally I am getting heat with the temp setting in the 70's ..

Good Luck..

Paul Collurafici 02-13-2019 04:58 AM

But how do you get air out of the middle vents? What does the light up button do?

NABS4 02-13-2019 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by MoInEd (Post 25275866)
That's interesting given that we are in the same city. What's your typical commute like? highway with high speeds? I'm typically in rush hour and lots of slow/stop/slow/stop and maybe the engine doesn't have good chance. Yet today I drove relatively easily and it sure wasn't at 90 with 10min (probably not even 15).

My DD is the SQ5. My wife is the primary Q7 driver and it usually gets driven all over the south side, but little freeway time. Even in the -30s getting heat is no issue.

Wires 02-18-2019 07:54 AM

Couple of notes OP:
1) Car doesn't necessarily reach 90C always. The temp you have on your display (~85C) is normal. It hovers between 85C (more power) up to 95C (more efficient). In colder weather and with the cabin heat on high, you will typically be keeping it at the lower ends of the scale.
2) Putting cabin heat on "HI" doesn't give more heat, it's just more fan. You still only get whatever the engine temp is at for heat. Audi is a bit different from other vehicles with auto climate control since in cold weather, it doesn't start ramping up the fan speed once the engine gets warm enough (others typically go almost to high). Audi keeps theirs lower to gentle warm the cabin, but it does feel a bit more "drafty". You might have better luck with either turning the temp up slightly so that the car forces a higher fan level vs full on HI.