Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Q7 Hatch Opening While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwi54
Could you have simply forgotten to close the hatch before getting into the car to drive? I'd assume if the hatch opens by itself while you're driving, you should hear the wind gushing sound?
You would get a warning if that were the case.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwi54
Could you have simply forgotten to close the hatch before getting into the car to drive? I'd assume if the hatch opens by itself while you're driving, you should hear the wind gushing sound?
The hatch open warning should have come on at start up if it wasn’t closed properly.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

After 30 min, I'm going with a dealer line: "Couldn't replicate" .....
The following users liked this post:
angrycatmeowmeow (07-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
After 30 min, I'm going with a dealer line: "Couldn't replicate" .....
They got no errors on scan?? Seems like some sensor somewhere should have kicked-up a fuss.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

What I meant is that I tried to replicate conditions on my vehicle by trying the door mounted hatch switch and keyfob button but couldn't open the hatch while moving.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's scary when these things have so much electronics that we are forced to live with gremlins that result in cargo contents being dumped all over the road. There has been a few times where I have come out into the garage an hour after I get home and the headlights are still on - no reason with the switch set on auto. I have not taken it in because I know the answer is going to be a waste-of-time-kill-an-entire-morning 1:15 drive just for them to tell me "cannot replicate". Given my MMI issues with my Q5 that they refuse to fix i'm not wasting my time.

Love the cars, but don't trust the electronics one bit.....
Old 10-06-2018, 07:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Q7 Hatch Opening While Driving Update

Originally Posted by Bricelw
Twice in the last 2 weeks I have had the rear hatch open while I was driving. Both times stuff slid out into the street. I was alerted tonight by a helpful driver and I slowed down and pulled over. I had to turn around and go back to a busy intersection and pick up expensive Audi accessories from the street.
i always put the key fob in the slot in the middle console. In the car I only use the button on the driver door to open the hatch when parked.
Cant figure out what is causing this but worries me greatly if I am on the freeway or turnpike going 80.
i saw a thread here about the hatch opening while parked or in the garage but nothing about it opening while driving.
Has anyone else experienced this?
I took it in to local dealership in Kansas and called Audi Corporate. They could find nothing wrong. Said I probably left it open. I adamantly said no.
i would have seen the big display saying so and I monitor all those displays. I said to the Service Mgr that if it was a safety issue and Audi could be liable.
was told that I should not put stuff in trunk area if I knew it could fly out and that I am liable if something happens.
then I go right to the grocery store and come out and push the hatch opening button on FOB and now it doesn’t work when the car is locked or unlocked.
Called the dealership and the Service Mgr said it was nothing they did. So just an astronomical coincidence.
Taking it back in on Monday.
Ive also noticed now that it’s saying there is a child lock malfunction.
It has 11,000 miles now. Maybe something was done to cause all this during the 10,000 mile inspection. I don’t know.
Remember taking it in right after I got it and complaining about the Home Link not working. They said nothing was wrong. Even came to my house.
So 3 months or more I drove with a garage door opener. Finally after repeated calls to Home Link found there was a service bulletin and they fixed it at the dealer. It was not an easy fix for them either. So I’m thinking this could be the same kind of deal.
also told the dealer that many on Audi World had the hatch open when parked and was told that they pay no attention to posts here because of unrealizable information.
We are just the idiots who pay $100,000
Old 10-06-2018, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What did AOA say? I would think that they would want this car off the road asap.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bricelw

I took it in to local dealership in Kansas and called Audi Corporate. They could find nothing wrong. Said I probably left it open. I adamantly said no.
i would have seen the big display saying so and I monitor all those displays. I said to the Service Mgr that if it was a safety issue and Audi could be liable.
was told that I should not put stuff in trunk area if I knew it could fly out and that I am liable if something happens.
then I go right to the grocery store and come out and push the hatch opening button on FOB and now it doesn’t work when the car is locked or unlocked.
Called the dealership and the Service Mgr said it was nothing they did. So just an astronomical coincidence.
Taking it back in on Monday.
Ive also noticed now that it’s saying there is a child lock malfunction.
It has 11,000 miles now. Maybe something was done to cause all this during the 10,000 mile inspection. I don’t know.
Remember taking it in right after I got it and complaining about the Home Link not working. They said nothing was wrong. Even came to my house.
So 3 months or more I drove with a garage door opener. Finally after repeated calls to Home Link found there was a service bulletin and they fixed it at the dealer. It was not an easy fix for them either. So I’m thinking this could be the same kind of deal.
also told the dealer that many on Audi World had the hatch open when parked and was told that they pay no attention to posts here because of unrealizable information.
We are just the idiots who pay $100,000
I’m telling you this is Audi’s attitude towards problems with their electronics. They blame the customer and tell you it's your problem. I’ll be surprised if AOA says anything different. I got the exact same response when they couldn’t fix my soft close doors. Said it was “operator error” after keeping the car for a month and gutting the driver’s door.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Audi of America is one big joke. Do not expect any help from them, they already have our money. Search this forum for Video of Audi porter stealing from my Q and see what happened when I caught the porter stealing from my car. Then the parts manager tried to get in a fight with me. When I called AOA I was told that it was my fault and I should not have left anything in the armrest. Case closed stop calling.

Quick Reply: 2018 Q7 Hatch Opening While Driving