Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Q7 Hatch Opening While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure to file a complaint here too: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

If this is a common enough problem, ultimately the feedback there should cause some noise and a recall possibly.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SarhoshAmiral
Make sure to file a complaint here too: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

If this is a common enough problem, ultimately the feedback there should cause some noise and a recall possibly.
+1. This is a serious issue.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Collurafici
Audi of America is one big joke. Do not expect any help from them, they already have our money. Search this forum for Video of Audi porter stealing from my Q and see what happened when I caught the porter stealing from my car. Then the parts manager tried to get in a fight with me. When I called AOA I was told that it was my fault and I should not have left anything in the armrest. Case closed stop calling.
Agree, AOA was no help at all in my situation - when my car was delivered without a 10-digit code to activate AudiConnect, and when my dealer (Audi of Lynbrook) was providing no help in getting it replaced, I contacted AOA - and they promptly bounced me back to my dealer to resolve (when I already told them that the dealer could not/would not do this for over 6 weeks and basically stopped replying to my messages). I went to a different dealer, Audi of Queens, paid $120 for the code and had it delivered to me in 3 days. Some years ago, when having a dispute with an Infiniti dealer I contacted Infiniti of America and had a much better experience as corporate actually intervened on my behalf.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bricelw

I took it in to local dealership in Kansas and called Audi Corporate. They could find nothing wrong. Said I probably left it open. I adamantly said no.
i would have seen the big display saying so and I monitor all those displays. I said to the Service Mgr that if it was a safety issue and Audi could be liable.
was told that I should not put stuff in trunk area if I knew it could fly out and that I am liable if something happens.
then I go right to the grocery store and come out and push the hatch opening button on FOB and now it doesn’t work when the car is locked or unlocked.
Called the dealership and the Service Mgr said it was nothing they did. So just an astronomical coincidence.
Taking it back in on Monday.
Ive also noticed now that it’s saying there is a child lock malfunction.
It has 11,000 miles now. Maybe something was done to cause all this during the 10,000 mile inspection. I don’t know.
Remember taking it in right after I got it and complaining about the Home Link not working. They said nothing was wrong. Even came to my house.
So 3 months or more I drove with a garage door opener. Finally after repeated calls to Home Link found there was a service bulletin and they fixed it at the dealer. It was not an easy fix for them either. So I’m thinking this could be the same kind of deal.
also told the dealer that many on Audi World had the hatch open when parked and was told that they pay no attention to posts here because of unrealizable information.
We are just the idiots who pay $100,000
I have the Q7 back in the dealer this morning. They just wanted to do an alignment. Had to remind them that the hatch problem is the problem and not the key fob doesn’t work due to something they did on Friday.
Called Audi and they told me that they don’t have access to TSBs and that they rely on the dealer to tell them. I said that you are Audi and the TSBs come from you not from the dealer, Told her that I was filing a safety complaint with government and she didn’t seem to mind.
She did finally call the dealer to remind them to figure out the hatch problem.
This is very poor service. No one to turn to.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for he link I am doing this today.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bricelw

I have the Q7 back in the dealer this morning. They just wanted to do an alignment. Had to remind them that the hatch problem is the problem and not the key fob doesn’t work due to something they did on Friday.
Called Audi and they told me that they don’t have access to TSBs and that they rely on the dealer to tell them. I said that you are Audi and the TSBs come from you not from the dealer, Told her that I was filing a safety complaint with government and she didn’t seem to mind.
She did finally call the dealer to remind them to figure out the hatch problem.
This is very poor service. No one to turn to.
That’s been my experience with AOA. They won’t take responsibility and blame the customers. There’s a lot of choice at this price level. #lastAudi
Old 10-08-2018, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Audi of America is one big joke. Do not expect any help from them, they already have our money. Search this forum for Video of Audi porter stealing from my Q and see what happened when I caught the porter stealing from my car. Then the parts manager tried to get in a fight with me. When I called AOA I was told that it was my fault and I should not have left anything in the armrest. Case closed stop calling.
Hey Paul, very familiar with your story - still makes me want to fire-bomb that dealer, but I do not agree with your assessment of AOA.

I've dealt with them several times and sometimes I get an INDIVIDUAL that is less than, well caring, but they really are overall an advocate if you can control your emotions and do your research. Going ballistic on them turns the rep against you immediately, they deal with complaints all day, everyday.

OP, Be cool and collected and you'll get the right response and if you don't call back the next day to get a different rep.

This is a safety issue that has repeated it's self - even IF it was user error (PBCK for the IT peeps), it should NOT be possible to open a hatch while the car is moving. For love of God, can't even drive without my seatbelt on!

Last edited by arU4ic; 10-08-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Hey Paul, very familiar with your story - still makes me want to fire-bomb that dealer, but I do not agree with your assessment of AOA.

I've dealt with them several times and sometimes I get an INDIVIDUAL that is less than, well caring, but they really are overall an advocate if you can control your emotions and do your research. Going ballistic on them turns the rep against you immediately, they deal with complaints all day, everyday.

OP, Be cool and collected and you'll get the right response and if you don't call back the next day to get a different rep.

This is a safety issue that has repeated it's self - even IF it was user error (PBCK for the IT peeps), it should NOT be possible to open a hatch while the car is moving. For love of God, can't even drive without my seatbelt on!

I was as nice as can be. The rep I talked to said that this is so serious he could not handle it himself and that their senior rep will call me. A week later she called and told me to bad. It's over and there's nothing we can do about it. Dealers are independent and do what they want. The case is now closed and don't bother calling anymore. Nice huh
Old 10-09-2018, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

if u have a gopro i would point it to the back to document it if it happens again. i think thats the only way to prove it to audi. so dealership ran the codes and nothing came up?
Old 10-10-2018, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was as nice as can be. The rep I talked to said that this is so serious he could not handle it himself and that their senior rep will call me. A week later she called and told me to bad. It's over and there's nothing we can do about it. Dealers are independent and do what they want. The case is now closed and don't bother calling anymore. Nice huh
Yeah, very uncool, yes the dealers are independent businesses, but she could have been more human about it.

Quick Reply: 2018 Q7 Hatch Opening While Driving