Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Q7 Hatch Opening While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bricelw

Twice in the last 2 weeks I have had the rear hatch open while I was driving. Both times stuff slid out into the street. I was alerted tonight by a helpful driver and I slowed down and pulled over. I had to turn around and go back to a busy intersection and pick up expensive Audi accessories from the street.
i always put the key fob in the slot in the middle console. In the car I only use the button on the driver door to open the hatch when parked.
Cant figure out what is causing this but worries me greatly if I am on the freeway or turnpike going 80.
i saw a thread here about the hatch opening while parked or in the garage but nothing about it opening while driving.
Has anyone else experienced this?
We've had this happen as well. 2018 model. First time we had our puppy in the back in his crate. Thank god he didn't fly out BUT we lost a bunch my daughters stuff that was ruined by get ran over by the car behind us. Honestly, I thought it was due to the fact that we may have not closed it all the way but I NEVER had a door ajar light or noise alert us that it was not closed properly like normal. Then it happened again last week leaving from my daughters swim practice; no dog this time but a backpack flew out. luckily this was on a quite street with plenty of room unlike the first time. Again no warning whatsoever. Both times the door flew open when we first accelerated.... Glad i'm not crazy!
Old 06-18-2019, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Serious safety issue! Audi should make it impossible for the rear hatch to open when the vehicle is moving!
Old 06-19-2019, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

On MY2018 as long as the transmission is in gear (D, S, or R) the hatch button in the driver's door side pocket will NOT open the hatch, neither the fob button. Also, if you are in gear, you won't be able to open it from the outside either. Well, that's providing everything is working as designed in the system.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

also i noticed once i open the door checking to see if i'm going to hit the curb while parking and the car stopped abruptly...so sound like there are safety mechanisms built in...but maybe the sensor for the rear tailgate is defective or something.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scfz1000
also i noticed once i open the door checking to see if i'm going to hit the curb while parking and the car stopped abruptly...so sound like there are safety mechanisms built in...but maybe the sensor for the rear tailgate is defective or something.
If you open a door while the Q is in a drive gear, it will automatically engage the parking brake... yep, safety feature...
Old 06-20-2019, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by V13T

My hitch has not opened while drive but he has opened a few times on its own. I parked my car in the street and upon exiting I see my truck wide open. Wtf. I only carry the key fob and I am pretty sure I did not press the trunk releas.
yea this has happened to me a a couple times now. I asked my dealer to reprogram my fob for a longer delay but they had no clue what I was talking about. SMh
Old 07-05-2022, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any resolution?

Originally Posted by Bricelw
Twice in the last 2 weeks I have had the rear hatch open while I was driving. Both times stuff slid out into the street. I was alerted tonight by a helpful driver and I slowed down and pulled over. I had to turn around and go back to a busy intersection and pick up expensive Audi accessories from the street.
i always put the key fob in the slot in the middle console. In the car I only use the button on the driver door to open the hatch when parked.
Cant figure out what is causing this but worries me greatly if I am on the freeway or turnpike going 80.
i saw a thread here about the hatch opening while parked or in the garage but nothing about it opening while driving.
Has anyone else experienced this?
I am having the same issue with my 2021 audi q7. My fob requires 2 clicks to open hatch. First time was when vehicle was parked and I was in a store. Came out and it was wide open. Second time happened while driving. No warning. I have 2 large dogs and am extremely concerned this will happen again while they are in the back. Did you ever figure out the issue?