Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Q7 Homelink pairing with a 2006 Chamberlain Liftmaster 1/hp garage door opener.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Q7 Homelink pairing with a 2006 Chamberlain Liftmaster 1/hp garage door opener.

My 2018 Q7 can't be paired with my garage door opener. I tried the manue'sl way and also the homelink way on their website. Not working. Called Homelink and they said this is an Audi problem, not homelink. What can I do to program?
Pam
Old 02-26-2018, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the exact same problem with my 2015 S7 and my wife’s Infiniti QX50. I was able to get the Audi by following the garage door openers directions however my wife’s Infiniti would not work. I’ve tried it every way I can think. If you do find an answer I would love to know.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Your garage door opener from 2006 uses a different version of homelink than the current version in the Audi. The Audi's may or may not be backwards compatible. I had the opposite (old car and new opener) and the solution was to use a Homelink Repeater Kit. This may not work in your case, but it is something I'd ask Homelink / Chamberlain about. Call back, the tech person you talked with might not have been trained sufficiently to catch this. If the car's opener is not backwards compatible, they should have a solution, whether the Repeater Kit or something else. You might also ask about the Homelink Compatibility Bridge.

Good Luck
Old 02-27-2018, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

It might be faster, and cheaper to just replace the garage door opener with a new one, just saying, and they don't last forever anyway...
Old 02-27-2018, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spindlewood
Your garage door opener from 2006 uses a different version of homelink than the current version in the Audi. The Audi's may or may not be backwards compatible. I had the opposite (old car and new opener) and the solution was to use a Homelink Repeater Kit. This may not work in your case, but it is something I'd ask Homelink / Chamberlain about. Call back, the tech person you talked with might not have been trained sufficiently to catch this. If the car's opener is not backwards compatible, they should have a solution, whether the Repeater Kit or something else. You might also ask about the Homelink Compatibility Bridge.

Good Luck
I had success with the Homelink compatability system.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure of the exact date of my two Chamberlain Liftmasters but I believe there are about the same age. Both of them work with the Q7. I just followed the instructions in the manual for linking them.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:53 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Our garage door opener is a Marantec (not a common brand) and it uses a 315 MHz door opener... It seemed to take it a few minutes to program, but after following the instructions, the car finally programmed, and has worked every time.
(FYI... if looking for a new opener, I HIGHLY recommend this opener... Marantec is the most quiet garage door opener I have ever NOT heard.)
The following users liked this post:
midnightgolfer2 (06-21-2021)
Old 03-01-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Programming my homelink was frustrating using the in-car directions, but I finally got it done. From what I recall, it first asked me to point the handheld transmitter at the rearview mirror and hold the button. After some time it said the process was complete, but nothing happened when I pressed the corresponding homelink button, so it moved onto the next step, which was pressing the "learn" button on the side of the garage door opener motor, then quickly going back to the car and pressing the appropriate button in the car. For one of the doors this worked the first time, but for the other one I had to repeat the process a second time. Make sure you are parked close enough to the motor, either in the garage or outside very close to the door.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

My '16 S6 is seemless to program. Absolutely no luck with the '18 Q7. I thought the same thing...the garage door opener is old. It came with the house when we bought it. Frustrating but no big deal.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pasantillo
My 2018 Q7 can't be paired with my garage door opener. I tried the manue'sl way and also the homelink way on their website. Not working. Called Homelink and they said this is an Audi problem, not homelink. What can I do to program?
Pam
I had a hell of a time programing my wife's 2018 SQ5. Ultimately I had to pull the fuse for side assist to program it. Its a common problem for programing the '18's homelink for doors that have the purple training button.

Quick Reply: 2018 Q7 Homelink pairing with a 2006 Chamberlain Liftmaster 1/hp garage door opener.