Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Q7 'wanders'

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 Q7 'wanders'

hi, i'm new. i have an issue w my brand new vehicle. i am a race car driver and come from that perspective. and also, i own a Porsche Cayenne Turbo, from which to compare. and a ferrari. (and a honda fit). none of which wander.

my new audi 'wanders', that is, does not track straight and true. it requires constant steering input. (when on lane-driver-assist, the electronic intervention repeatedly intervenes).

i immediately suspected front toe-in, or absence thereof.

i took it in and found that the many interventions systems might be at fault in addition to the mild right rear toe adjustment they made. i was astonished to find that these systems are always active and that some of them directly affect steering.

anyway, after the service, the problem persists. i have not driven other '18 q7's and do not know if it's endemic to the breed, although, i find it hard to believe that audi would engineer it this way.

it has 19" wheels and all-season tires, fyi.

any ideas out there? more particularly, do '18/'19 owners experience this at all?

(oh, ps, i hate the steering. it's vague, feedback-less, mushy on-center, etc. electric over-boosted i imagine)

thank you
The following users liked this post:
Hunter2017 (03-06-2021)
Old 12-29-2018, 03:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I have driven a number of Q7s and did not had a problem with the car wandering unless the semi-autonomous lane assist/centering was enabled. The latter feature is seriously flawed; so much so that it is more comfortable driving with it disabled. Are you driving with that feature enabled? If so, I may have a suggested fix.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had this issue with an Allroad although over time I got used to it. Might just be how Audi sets up its steering.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rjabend
I have driven a number of Q7s and did not had a problem with the car wandering unless the semi-autonomous lane assist/centering was enabled. The latter feature is seriously flawed; so much so that it is more comfortable driving with it disabled. Are you driving with that feature enabled? If so, I may have a suggested fix.
i would be THRILLED if you're onto something. i did not know that this 'feature' could be disabled. remind me how (itmt i'll recheck the owner's manual), thank you, tom
Old 12-29-2018, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

i'm surely hoping your guess is wrong. i'd find it hard to believe (my first audi of 65 cars) that this is the case, but originally, i thought it setup with Zero toe in for gas mileage purposes. i hope not
Old 12-29-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

i found this buried in a ~400pg manual, but haven't yet found a way to disable this (or for that matter other 'driver aids')

Electromechanical steering, all-wheel steering
The electromechanical steering supports the driver's steering movements.
Power steering adapts electronically based on the vehicle speed.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

and this, ugh...:

Evasive steering support
Evas ive steering support helps you to steer the vehicle around an obstacle in a crit ical situation. If you avoid an obstacle afte r t he acute warning, t hen the evasive steer ing support assists you by applying slight steering adjust ment to correct ..,
*** is tanc e sy s tem s
your steering wheel angle as long as you are actively steering . Evasive steering support is available at speeds between approximate ly 20 mph (30 km/h) and 90 mph (150 km/h).
Turn assist
When start ing to drive and up to speeds of maximum 6 mph (10 km/h), the turn assist uses a braking intervention to prevent your vehicle from colliding with an oncoming vehicle when turning left or right (available in certain countries). The braking intervention causes your vehicle to stay in its lane.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

and last this, which rjabend may be referring to. i will check this immediately:

Audi active Lane assist
Description
Applies to: vehicles with Audi active lane assist
Active lane *** ist (lane departure warning) detects lane marker lines with in the limits of the system using a camera in the windshield . If you are approac hing a detected lane ma rker line and it appea rs likely that you will leave the lane, t he system will warn you wit h correct ive steer ing . You can override this steering at any time. If you pass over a line, the steering whee l will vibrate lightly. In order for this warn ing vibration to occur, it must first be switched on in the Infotainment system.

i don't get a wheel vibration, though, just wandering
Old 12-29-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

and, again from the manual, it appears that the 'drive mode', ie, comfort/dynamic/auto, affects steering big-time. i will also try changing modes and report back.

i hope to help anyone else who is going down this path
Old 12-29-2018, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The lane assist and steering wheel vibration will only happen IF the system has detected lane markers. One or both lines will be green in the instrument cluster/HUD. You can turn this feature off with the button at the end of the turn signal.

I know the wandering you’re talking about but I think it’s how Audi sets up the steering.

Quick Reply: 2018 Q7 'wanders'