Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Q7 'wanders'

Old 01-30-2019, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoInEd
EPS systems came out about 15-20 years ago and since about 10 years ago pretty much all manufacturers started switching to it. It's simpler.
I remember when they came out the steering felt a LOT lighter than hydraulic systems and it takes a little time to get used to them. As said earlier, Q7 steering is light compared to it's size and weight. If you let the steering wheel go and you still feel wandering of the car to left and right (keep lane assist OFF) then there is something wrong. If not it's most likely you over-reacting to the system. It takes some time getting used to it. True, tier types, tire pressure, smoothness of the road, wind gusting or not, etc all play into this.
makes good sense. thank you
Old 01-30-2019, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
so you feel like something is missing and end up bouncing back and forth through the dead zone, which of course makes the car then wiggle a little and makes it seem like you need to continue correcting. After seeing your video, I tried driving on the highway and putting repetitive correction movements through the steering wheel and I was able to do it with the car barely responding. The steering response is very vague in that central region
I have a Prestige with the standard suspension, and gave this a go as this was my feeling all along as well. But to my surprise there is no dead-on-center in the Q7. Any slight movement of the steering wheel sent the Q in a different directions, even if slightly. There was no dead band in the steering motion from center.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I have a Prestige with the standard suspension, and gave this a go as this was my feeling all along as well. But to my surprise there is no dead-on-center in the Q7. Any slight movement of the steering wheel sent the Q in a different directions, even if slightly. There was no dead band in the steering motion from center.
interesting. would you please tell us tires/wheels? also, when you say you had had this phenomenon before (i think), what did you mean? the 'wandering'?
Old 01-30-2019, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 500c
interesting. would you please tell us tires/wheels? also, when you say you had had this phenomenon before (i think), what did you mean? the 'wandering'?
I have the 20" OEM wheels with Pirelli Scorpions. I didnt say I had this phenomenon, but do know that many people (different cars) complain of the dead zone in the center position of the wheel. I didnt find one in my Q
Old 01-31-2019, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I have the 20" OEM wheels with Pirelli Scorpions. I didnt say I had this phenomenon, but do know that many people (different cars) complain of the dead zone in the center position of the wheel. I didnt find one in my Q
thank you
Old 01-31-2019, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

With the weather turning, let's say cooler, in NY, I decided to check my tire pressure, especially since it seemed that it was harder to keep the Q on the straight line than usual. Yesterday, it was all over the place at 50~60MPH, it required a constant correction, to the point that I started wondering when I'm going to start bouncing off other cars just so I can stay in my lane. Same feeling this morning, so I pulled into gas station to put more air in the tires. Check the tire pressure, ... what the F@^# ... 43PSI ?!!?! How the F&%$ is this possible. I normally keep it at 35PSI, and that was when the temperatures where much warmer. So I started thinking how this could happen, realizing that the Q was at the dealer recently for an oil change. They must have pumped it up to the max. I kicked myself in the a$$ for not checking it, but honestly I didn't expect them to do that with an oil change. After I let the air out down to 36PSI (trying to account for some warming of the tires), the Q became a different animal. It still has no dead-on center as BigKutta put it, but at least I can keep it within a quarter margin of error now. What a difference. Of course the 20" GY RFT are stiffer in cold weather and increased tire pressure doesn't help. Next time it goes to the dealer, tire pressure check after is on my to do list.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:36 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
With the weather turning, let's say cooler, in NY, I decided to check my tire pressure, especially since it seemed that it was harder to keep the Q on the straight line than usual. Yesterday, it was all over the place at 50~60MPH, it required a constant correction, to the point that I started wondering when I'm going to start bouncing off other cars just so I can stay in my lane. Same feeling this morning, so I pulled into gas station to put more air in the tires. Check the tire pressure, ... what the F@^# ... 43PSI ?!!?! How the F&%$ is this possible. I normally keep it at 35PSI, and that was when the temperatures where much warmer. So I started thinking how this could happen, realizing that the Q was at the dealer recently for an oil change. They must have pumped it up to the max. I kicked myself in the a$$ for not checking it, but honestly I didn't expect them to do that with an oil change. After I let the air out down to 36PSI (trying to account for some warming of the tires), the Q became a different animal. It still has no dead-on center as BigKutta put it, but at least I can keep it within a quarter margin of error now. What a difference. Of course the 20" GY RFT are stiffer in cold weather and increased tire pressure doesn't help. Next time it goes to the dealer, tire pressure check after is on my to do list.
This drives me crazy, we recently had to adjust the tires on my sons Q50 RedSport after visiting service. Infiniti must of pumped up the pressure during service, also to "max" because it felt like the car was riding on hockey pucks. Dropped the pressure back to the cold pressure level the next morning and all is good again.. Even though he tells them don't adjust the pressure they do it anyway.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

With this cold, can you imagine the number of people driving with 18-20 psi today? The first time the temp drops below freezing, I make sure to pump air into all the tires to bring them back up to spec
Old 01-31-2019, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I mentioned the psi to the OP earlier on here but he said it wasnt his issue.

For years everytime I have brought any of our vehicles in for service they nearly always come back with overinflated tires...I now leave a note for them to adjust only if needed and I specifiy the cold/warm psi I want. I think the overinflation leads to premature wear and perhaps this increases their tire business.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

I generally check it regularly, but for some reason this time I just blanked out on the fact that someone else touched the vehicle and could have "tempered' with my tire pressure. I do miss direct TPMS so I can see the current tire pressure and tire temperature in the vehicle, that was so helpful and I would have caught it immediately. Instead I was wondering for the last month or so, why I can't seem to be able to keep it in the lane, and why it feels like it's riding on rubber bands.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Q7 'wanders'