2018 Q7 'wanders'

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 500c
from bmw forum, my problem exactly:
(from bmw forum)

I have a 06 E91 msport with standard suspension & 18” wheels with horrible bridgestone run flats (came new on the car so can’t justify getting rid of them yet). On a smooth road I have no issues, car runs straight and true. On uneven roads it is a different story, a different car almost but I’m not sure how much it is down to the run flats. It wanders and follows the contours of the road to a point where I think it is dangerous, inspires zero confidence and ruins the driving experience.
not much feedback here, but on the bmw forum allll manner of discussions about tramlining, which is possibly what we're talking about here.

there, it is said that a slight reduction in tire pressure could help (allows more flex in the sidewalls). not higher, but lower.
there, all-seasons are recommended over 'summer/high performance' tires.
there, smaller wheels vs larger wheels w high profile tires, are suggested.

any thoughts? anyone experiment w tires?
Old 01-02-2019, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

BMWs are notorious for tramlining. Not sure how much reducing the pressure on ROF will have an impact
Old 01-02-2019, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
BMWs are notorious for tramlining. Not sure how much reducing the pressure on ROF will have an impact
ok, well maybe i should try over there as i'm not getting v far here, although i'm thinking that folks in the s5/rs type forums might help?
itmt, i though i'd let you guys know that i called TireRack, my historical favorites, and amazingly, they never heard of tramlining...wow
Old 01-02-2019, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

ok, well maybe i should try over there as i'm not getting v far here, although i'm thinking that folks in the s5/rs type forums might help?
itmt, i though i'd let you guys know that i called TireRack, my historical favorites, and amazingly, they never heard of tramlining...wow
Not sure if that would be much help. Taller vehicles historically were more susceptible to tramlining (or nibbling - my favorite term, but I digress :-) ), I guess that had to do with the fact that taller vehicles used to come with wider, taller tires. I'm sure that the tire tread (the pattern) and how it wears does impact how the tire tracks, but also something in the suspension geometry is causing the additional wandering tendency, so I'm not sure comparing it to other vehicles would be much help. Only hope is that someone here will figure it out. It's interesting that some of us do feel it, and some don't. I 'm on 20" GoodYears all season RF with air an 4WS (all nannies off) and definitely DO experience the wandering. It's on par with GL450, not as bad as GX, Grand Cherokee, or Land Cruiser. I guess, I sort of gotten used to it, although sometimes I feel like the people behind me think: "here goes another drunk", while I'm fighting the Q to stay in a straight line. It's like arguing with a teenager .... you just don't understand me ...
Old 01-02-2019, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gsobol
Not sure if that would be much help. Taller vehicles historically were more susceptible to tramlining (or nibbling - my favorite term, but I digress :-) ), I guess that had to do with the fact that taller vehicles used to come with wider, taller tires. I'm sure that the tire tread (the pattern) and how it wears does impact how the tire tracks, but also something in the suspension geometry is causing the additional wandering tendency, so I'm not sure comparing it to other vehicles would be much help. Only hope is that someone here will figure it out. It's interesting that some of us do feel it, and some don't. I 'm on 20" GoodYears all season RF with air an 4WS (all nannies off) and definitely DO experience the wandering. It's on par with GL450, not as bad as GX, Grand Cherokee, or Land Cruiser. I guess, I sort of gotten used to it, although sometimes I feel like the people behind me think: "here goes another drunk", while I'm fighting the Q to stay in a straight line. It's like arguing with a teenager .... you just don't understand me ...
lol re the drunk ...

glad you get it. fyi, i've had 4 range rovers, a cayenne turbo, and a host of other 'tall' vehicles...never ran into this before. this is also my first set of the dreaded run flats.

on monday, the audi service manager and i are taking her out together at speed. also, then, in another q7/q8, hopefully with different tire configs. i'll report back.

thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

lol re the drunk ...

glad you get it. fyi, i've had 4 range rovers, a cayenne turbo, and a host of other 'tall' vehicles...never ran into this before. this is also my first set of the dreaded run flats.

on monday, the audi service manager and i are taking her out together at speed. also, then, in another q7/q8, hopefully with different tire configs. i'll report back.

thanks
If you've never experienced this wandering on any of your long list of vehicles, then yes, there is something wrong with your Q7. Go drive other ones to confirm if this issue is related to the Q7 only, or your vehicle only. Then you can either get it fixed or sell the Q.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
If you've never experienced this wandering on any of your long list of vehicles, then yes, there is something wrong with your Q7. Go drive other ones to confirm if this issue is related to the Q7 only, or your vehicle only. Then you can either get it fixed or sell the Q.
right, will do
Old 01-02-2019, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Actually, the worst 'wanderer' I ever drove was a vette with GoodYear GSC EMT tires. That thing would catch every imperfection in the road. I think it was the combination of the aggressive directional thread, different tire width front and back and the stiff sidewalls. It's as far as you can get from Q7 in terms of car design and function, and it still was susceptible to tramlining.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

moderators, i am new and don't know if cross-posting is permitted, but here is a guy w a '19 Prestige w the exact same issue:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...#post112928987
Old 01-03-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

guys, i screwed up. my audi sticker is wrong! the actual tires are 21" Pirelli scorpion RF's, not 20's. that adds to the mix for sure

Quick Reply: 2018 Q7 'wanders'