Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2019 Cayenne Vs 2019 Q7 New Thoughts and ?'s

Old 03-03-2019, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2019 Cayenne Vs 2019 Q7 New Thoughts and ?'s

The option of getting a 19 Cayenne still pops up as we wait for our 19 Q7.

After looking at all one gets on a Q7 3.0 with LUX etc compared to a Cayenne similarly equipped, it seems the Q7 gets these goodies (approx. $12k more in options when added to the CY) AND is still about $4k less expensive.

The issue we're having since we're cash buyers is resale and the 2019 MY possess a unique situation:
  • The Q7 gets updated for 2020 which will really hurt an already poor resale for the Q7
  • The Cayenne was all new for 2019 and there are no significant updates for 2020 or 2021 which should help resale
  • Even though the Q7 is a much better VALUE as stated above by $12k, the retention of my $$$ ($80k for the Q7 or $86k for the CY) is another/separate equation.
  • Which vehicle might hold it value better and which has had better resale in the past, CY's or Q7'?
We drove a 2019 CY base with 21's prem and some other goodies and it drove very much like the new Q8 (which makes sense since it’s also the same platform, same new engine etc.). The ride was a bit firmer than our Q7's also with 21's, although the CY had all seasons vs the summers on our Q and the engine was much torquier than our Q's.

We did feel the same vibration every so often on the Cayenne that I have written about on the Q8, so this issue appears to be an inherent problem to the new 3.0 turbo motor, or maybe its cooling fans?

The cayenne was very tight and rattle free even over railroad tracks etc. fit and finish was on par with the Q.

We liked you can get thermal/acoustic glass ($1130), power rear side blinds ($450) and also things like an ionizer ($400) and leather dash (in many colors), which for now are just not available on the Q7. There is no roll-up rear window blind offered either manual or electric and there are also no manual rear side window blinds, it's either electric or nothing.

Styling interior and exterior, while certainly very subjective, seems to give the nod to the CY for those wanting a sportier look, and the Q for those wanting more of a lux look but it could go either way.

The Q seemed to be a bit larger overall.

The seats in the CY are better (more supportive/firmer lower cushions/better bolstered and the leather has more of a pattern/cross bracing to prevent the leather from balloning overtime (an issue with the Q's lux leather especially on the driver's seat even when new), and the ventilation was very impressive as well comp'd to the Q's.

Both great vehicles but a tough decision considering all the above and our situation.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by RJC 1; 03-03-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Your current Q7 is pretty new. Why trade now?
Old 03-03-2019, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Corgiman

For one thing we get new vehicles every two years (had this one since 10/2016) and have an opportunity to get a very good deal on either the 19 Q7 (11% off msrp) or 19 CY (9% off msrp)...both ordered vehicles.

Last edited by RJC 1; 03-03-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's safe to say the value of both vehicles will drop like rocks in the first 2-3 years, the difference between base prices is probably not worth worrying about. The big variable would be how many options you add as those will fetch pennies on the dollar at resale.

If you want to change vehicles every 2 years, more power to you. However, why even bother with a 2017 to 2019 Q7 trade when there will be no differences? Might as well try something different
Old 03-03-2019, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Since you change every 2 years, get a Cayenne. You've already driven a Q, and the cayenne is a better handler/drive as you pointed out. I like the CY styling as well, so if you dont need a 3rd row then CY all the way
Old 03-03-2019, 01:40 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgiman
+1

Getting a good deal means nothing when you’re making a thread to talk about resale and the fact the Q7 value will plummet when the 20 is released.

Just because you get a new car every two years doesn’t mean you need to do it again. If I can be Frank it’s financially stupid to “upgrade” to the same car with different options when the refresh is around the corner and you sell every two years.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

It's your money to enjoy and do what you want! Many things we enjoy may not be fiscally sound.

Although we looked at the 'next size down', wife chose the Macan S over the Q5 as the interior options and finish were several steps up (for a few $$ more); both handled great. Decide what options mean most to you as you will only have two years to enjoy.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

What about the new X5? For the price of the Cayenne, you can get a fully loaded 50i that performs like a Cayenne Turbo. When I had my Q7 in service a few weeks ago, I went to the BMW dealership across the street and sat in one. If you don't need the third row, the BMW has a lot to offer.

Once my current Q7 lease expires, I might be able to get a fully loaded X5 M50i with 523 HP for what I'm paying now due to Audi's crappy lease deals.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
What about the new X5? For the price of the Cayenne, you can get a fully loaded 50i that performs like a Cayenne Turbo. When I had my Q7 in service a few weeks ago, I went to the BMW dealership across the street and sat in one. If you don't need the third row, the BMW has a lot to offer.

Once my current Q7 lease expires, I might be able to get a fully loaded X5 M50i with 523 HP for what I'm paying now due to Audi's crappy lease deals.
This is a great suggestion. If I was shopping for a SUV today (versus 2 years ago), the X5 would have been it, However, its in early production cycle still so wait a few more months before you order...
Old 03-03-2019, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Addressing the comments:

We have found if we keep the mileage around 15k-20k for +/-2 years it really helps with the resale as once it hits/gets close to 30k++ the #'s get much worse.

Agreed the resale will plummet on the 19 Q7 when the 20's come out due to the F/L and as mentioned it's a big reason we would go for the 19 Cayenne since there are no major changes scheduled for 2-3 yrs and we'll be out of it before then.

Really like the current Q7 and as I've previously written here many of the current nice things I like will be lost after MY 19 and it's one of the main reasons we would get another, plus it's a great value compd to the CY.

Question, is the Q7 larger that the Cayenne inside/out?

Thanks for the thoughts.

Last edited by RJC 1; 03-03-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 Cayenne Vs 2019 Q7 New Thoughts and ?'s