Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2019 Q7 Technik Canada - Traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 Q7 Technik Canada - Traffic?

Hi all,
New owner of a Q7 2019 after my 2015 Acura was totaled in an accident (not my fault!). While I'm loving the ride, I'm feeling a little let down with some of the features that are lacking as compared to the US. My internal sim card is working, I've got the hotspot, can get the satellite maps, but there doesn't seem to be ANY way to get traffic other than to use the MMI screen and Apple Play to get it from Waze. I've seen posts and recommendations to use SiriusXM traffic via OBDEleven - wondering if anyone has tried that with a 2019 model?

Or...has anyone heard anything about traffic coming to Canadian Q7's? There's nothing like driving along and all of a sudden coming to a complete stop on the highway...when you could have gone option B and circumvented an issue.

Thanks and apologies if there is a current thread...I didn't want to resurrect an old one...
Old 04-04-2019, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That’s actually quite confusing. According to the Audi canada website it should work. I have an A5 SB Tecknik coming and was assured that traffic works.
The features available in Canada are supposed to be comparable to the US starting with the 2019 year.

Perhaps you have to enable it somehow? Are you setup as the key user?

https://www.audi.ca/dam/nemo/ca/NoMo...4-A5-Q5-Q7.pdf

Last edited by mlavio829; 04-04-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah, I know- frustrating is the word. I don't take the Audi website as gospel for too much since it also said mine came with a B&O (not 3D) stereo - it's a Bose.

I'm set up as the key user. The manual says "online traffic not available in Canada"...which is why I was wondering if the "backdoor" option was worth it.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

What about all of the other features listed for Audi connect? Do you have weather? And news? Or the traffic light info?
Most of the 2019 manuals came out before Audi Canada announced support for Audi Connect.

The “backdoor” option is crappy. I enabled it through OBDeleven on my 2017 Audi A4. The traffic with Sirius XM was spotty and rarely accurate. It also only worked on major highways.

You could try contacting Audi Care to see if they can figure it out.

Last edited by mlavio829; 04-04-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I get weather, news, fuel prices etc. No traffic light info. When I go into the nav settings, I can't find "online traffic" tick box or anything.

It's only the traffic piece that is missing. It's annoying because I had it on my 2015 Acura and it worked fine. Just feels wrong to take a step backwards.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Only other thing I can think of is in the myAudi app, when I connect to the wifi in the car, under Vehicle Connection, I get a green connected to AUDI_MMI_XXXX, but I get a yellow Wifi log into the MMI. Wondering if that means the MMI isn't recognizing me as the key user. I may go out and check that. I confirmed on the audi connect Canada website that I am supposed to see online traffic.

I've found the dealer to be pretty weak on knowledge for this stuff.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

This was the only way to get traffic info in Canada (you need sirius traffic subscription):
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...an-q7-2914314/
Old 04-05-2019, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JV23
I get weather, news, fuel prices etc. No traffic light info. When I go into the nav settings, I can't find "online traffic" tick box or anything.

It's only the traffic piece that is missing. It's annoying because I had it on my 2015 Acura and it worked fine. Just feels wrong to take a step backwards.
I got my 2019 Q8 with no traffic working, asked dealer, they had no idea what was wrong. Had to change the settings myself using ODBeleven tool. Somehow my settings were 65535 which disables TMC info, changed it to 65533 and everythings works as supposed
Old 04-05-2019, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by boshiku
I got my 2019 Q8 with no traffic working, asked dealer, they had no idea what was wrong. Had to change the settings myself using ODBeleven tool. Somehow my settings were 65535 which disables TMC info, changed it to 65533 and everythings works as supposed
Thanks, that's really helpful. I may float this by the dealer when I'm in next week getting the snow tires off (someone around here needs to kickstart spring!), but if that doesn't work, at least I know an OBD11 is only 110 CAD and it fixes it. Do you see a TMC icon on the MMI or Online?
Old 04-06-2019, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by boshiku

how did you find out about the tmc info? I just picked up my new 2019 Audi A5 SB Technik and had the same issue. Using OBD11, I found that my tmc was set to 65535 which is disabled. Not sure why it would ship disabled. After enabling it to 65533, it seems to work and I get the Online function as well. I kind of expected the traffic info to contain more information tho. It has the major highways and incidents on some streets but I sort of expected more traffic flow on major streets.

I also dont don’t seem to have traffic showing on the myAudi app. Is yours working?

Quick Reply: 2019 Q7 Technik Canada - Traffic?