Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

21" vs 20" wheels, tested on the same Q7

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21" vs 20" wheels, tested on the same Q7

Recently took delivery of a 2017 S-line on the stock 20s with Goodyear Eagle Sport run flats. Drove it for a few weeks before I purchased a set of 21s with the Continentals (takeoffs, essentially new) and put them on. Here are some of the findings and impressions:

- the tires are both 285s, but the 21" Continentals are visibly wider
- the Eagles' are noticeably taller
- the Eagles' tread is clearly an all weather tread

Now with the impressions. My impressions of the Q7 as it came from the factor was that the ride comfort and cabin noise levels were truly the best I've ever experienced. Just absolutely smooth and quiet. I was expecting the 21" Continentals, which aren't run flats, to be as comfortable as the 20" run flats, but that wasn't the case. The very first thing I noticed was the additional tire noise/rumble coming from the Continentals. Second it was clear that the 21s also rode harder. I could ride in dynamic mode all the time with the 20s and it would never feel too stiff. With the 21s I find myself riding in comfort and using dynamic only when I need it. Then there's the steering feel. The steering feels numb and over boosted with either set of tires but it feels even more boosted with the wider 21s. The initial steering feel off center is better with the 21s. Its a bit more crisp and you don't feel the tread squirm as much. In normal driving I never felt the 20s didn't have enough grip even driving through curvy roads. The 21s do end up giving more grip when pushed hard but other than that its not really noticeable. Honestly I'd say the 20s are a better match for the vehicle except in one area and that is looks. The Q7 is so big that the 21s look like a perfect size for it. In terms of wheel design the 20" S line wheels have a very similar design to the 21s and I like them as well but its the physical size of the 21" wheel that catches the eye.

In the end it seems like the old adage is still true in this case, the bigger wheel rides rougher and has some drawbacks but looks good. What's surprising is how good the run flats have gotten. The first generation ones were like riding on pucks. Just way too hard. The Pzeros on my 5 series and the Goodyear Eagles on the Q7 have both been really nice tires from all around comfort perspective.

If there was any kind of winter in my neck of the woods I'd definitely keep the 20s for winter duty but out here all I need are summers so the 20s are for sale.
Attached Thumbnails 21" vs 20" wheels, tested on the same Q7-img_2216.jpg   21" vs 20" wheels, tested on the same Q7-img_2230.jpg   21" vs 20" wheels, tested on the same Q7-img_2218.jpg   21" vs 20" wheels, tested on the same Q7-treads.png  
Old 09-05-2016, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

interesting

i didnt think one would notice that much of a difference

great write up, thank you
Old 09-05-2016, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sold on the run flat tires. They saved my butt a few weeks ago. I was able to go almost 50 miles on beltway speeds to reach the dealer for a replacement.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Great comparison, thank you. One key factor missing though. Was your Q7 equipped with the adaptive air suspension?
Old 09-05-2016, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you going to do with the 20" wheels and tires?
Old 09-05-2016, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

They are for sale. Taking pics and posting them later today. If anyone wants them let me know.

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
What are you going to do with the 20" wheels and tires?
Old 09-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes I have the adaptive air suspension.

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Great comparison, thank you. One key factor missing though. Was your Q7 equipped with the adaptive air suspension?
Old 09-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Picture comparison
Attached Thumbnails 21" vs 20" wheels, tested on the same Q7-20s.png   21" vs 20" wheels, tested on the same Q7-21s.png  
Old 09-05-2016, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You must be in Canada? The pic of your "stock" 20" wheels are not stock or even available in the US. We get them in 19". Just an fyi for anyone comparing visually.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm in the US, but its a Canadian car. It's the "stock" 20s that come with the S line pretty much everywhere else except the US.

So yeah, its a great chance for someone in the US to land a set of these wheels without any importation hassles. Personally I'm not a fan of the US 20s, but its totally subjective, everyone will have their own opinion.

I'm still baffled how Audi USA wouldn't allow the S line to be an option for their market. The local dealer even freaked out saying how much nicer it was (the aluminum interior trim, the blacked out bumpers and the wheels).

Originally Posted by Meyecul
You must be in Canada? The pic of your "stock" 20" wheels are not stock or even available in the US. We get them in 19". Just an fyi for anyone comparing visually.

Quick Reply: 21" vs 20" wheels, tested on the same Q7