Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

21" vs 20" wheels, tested on the same Q7

Old 09-05-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I see. Its odd why Audi makes so many wheels that look so similar. You would think they could get their design team to step it up a bit with something more interesting for our markets. The US 21" and US 19" and now your Canada 20" all look like the same wheels from a slow moving distance. As an owner of higher level Prestige, would be nice if we would have a wheel choice that sets the trim level apart.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul
As an owner of higher level Prestige, would be nice if we would have a wheel choice that sets the trim level apart.
We do -
If I'm not mistaken the factory option 21s you (& I) have are not available on any trim other than Prestige .
Old 09-05-2016, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
We do -
If I'm not mistaken the factory option 21s you (& I) have are not available on any trim other than Prestige .
True, our 21s are not available on any other trim, but watch a base model premium with the 19" standard wheels drive away and watch ours drive away, generally looks like the same wheels. Just too similar of a design for a possible $30k price jump, IMO.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, did you chose to mount Contis on the 21" wheels and are they summer or all season? Reason I ask is because our Q7 came with GY Eagle F1s and they are wonderful.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul
True, our 21s are not available on any other trim, but watch a base model premium with the 19" standard wheels drive away and watch ours drive away, generally looks like the same wheels. Just too similar of a design for a possible $30k price jump, IMO.
I agree with you there.
Actually, my winter wheels are identical in design to our 21s except they're 20" and a titanium finish instead of silver painted.
I thought the "2-tone" 18s on my A4 were unique in Audi Land, but now I see some other 19s for the A4 that are very similar with two different finishes on the face 2017 Audi A4. #8W0071499LT7: 19 5 V-spoke summer wheels.

Last edited by Cadx6; 09-05-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Compguy! Glad you made it over the border! Now that makes the 2 of us that I know.

1. Great write up! I contemplated on the 21in. and during test drive it drove just fine. but never really had a chance to drive the 20"s and do a side by side detailed comparison like you did. Others should benefit so much from what you provided. Thank you.
2. Agree with you there, the 10 even-spoke US 20" wheel took a bit sportiness look out of the car. The S-Line 20" looks better. The alum interior trim is more polished than the gloss black US version.
3. The older I get, it's more function over form... my last SUV was an E70 X5 V8 Sport with staggered 20" with the back ones at 315 and front at 275. I ended up selling them and traded down to a 19" 255s. 20" Dunlops (1st set) and Brigestone (next 2 sets) all got super noisy after 10K miles. it's like driving a school bus. You had asked why I didn't want 21". It's exactly for this particular reason. Plus summer tires are good for maybe 20K to 25K? and $$$ to replace them. But I totally get it. The look does complete the car. So glad you got your 21"s.
4. Why not keep the 20"s? for raining days? wait and see if 21 get too noisy then decide? or when you get sick of the 21"s you can always sell them and put the 20"s back on. But I also think it would be great if another US member would score your 20"s. They are pretty sharp looking in my opinion.

Originally Posted by compguy
I'm in the US, but its a Canadian car. It's the "stock" 20s that come with the S line pretty much everywhere else except the US.

So yeah, its a great chance for someone in the US to land a set of these wheels without any importation hassles. Personally I'm not a fan of the US 20s, but its totally subjective, everyone will have their own opinion.

I'm still baffled how Audi USA wouldn't allow the S line to be an option for their market. The local dealer even freaked out saying how much nicer it was (the aluminum interior trim, the blacked out bumpers and the wheels).
Old 09-05-2016, 09:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 21" wheels and tires are straight from a stock 2017 that came with them. They are one of the factory issue 21" tires. They have the Contis and Goodyears. I haven't driven on a Goodyear in ages, the last ones being a set of GSCs from 1995, so the 20s that came on the Q7 from the factory were a nice surprise.

Originally Posted by drkknte
OP, did you chose to mount Contis on the 21" wheels and are they summer or all season? Reason I ask is because our Q7 came with GY Eagle F1s and they are wonderful.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah man it made it over all good. Not a single problem.

I don't really need 2 sets of wheels/tires. Space for long term storage is a bit of pain for me and it usually never rains where I'm at.

The 21s are by no means terrible and the adaptive suspension in comfort takes care of most of the additional roughness. I'm going to stick with them for looks alone. If I was anywhere near a lot of rain or any snow I wouldn't be letting them 20s go for sure. 8)

Originally Posted by Zoich
Hi Compguy! Glad you made it over the border! Now that makes the 2 of us that I know.

1. Great write up! I contemplated on the 21in. and during test drive it drove just fine. but never really had a chance to drive the 20"s and do a side by side detailed comparison like you did. Others should benefit so much from what you provided. Thank you.
2. Agree with you there, the 10 even-spoke US 20" wheel took a bit sportiness look out of the car. The S-Line 20" looks better. The alum interior trim is more polished than the gloss black US version.
3. The older I get, it's more function over form... my last SUV was an E70 X5 V8 Sport with staggered 20" with the back ones at 315 and front at 275. I ended up selling them and traded down to a 19" 255s. 20" Dunlops (1st set) and Brigestone (next 2 sets) all got super noisy after 10K miles. it's like driving a school bus. You had asked why I didn't want 21". It's exactly for this particular reason. Plus summer tires are good for maybe 20K to 25K? and $$$ to replace them. But I totally get it. The look does complete the car. So glad you got your 21"s.
4. Why not keep the 20"s? for raining days? wait and see if 21 get too noisy then decide? or when you get sick of the 21"s you can always sell them and put the 20"s back on. But I also think it would be great if another US member would score your 20"s. They are pretty sharp looking in my opinion.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For sale here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/par.../#post24854587
Old 03-25-2019, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 Q7 Owner

Originally Posted by compguy
From a cost of ownership go with the 20's. The odd tires sizes and 21's are much more expensive at this width 285/40. Keep in mind 21's in this size have NO treadware warranty. I wish I did not own them having to replace tires annually in my third year of ownership getting very low miles out of them.

Last edited by Precab; 03-25-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 21" vs 20" wheels, tested on the same Q7