Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2nd q7

Old 05-22-2017, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

came across this review : Chris Evans Audi Q7 3.0 TDI: You?d love a Range Rover but would never really put it to the all-terrain test. So what do you buy instead? The awesome new Audi Q7 | Daily Mail Online

but i think velar would not be a bad choice..
got to look in to it.

Last edited by indiandevil2; 05-22-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
I came from a 2016 XC90 R-Design. Aside from the better looking front end (subjective) the only thing better might be the seats. Otherwise the Q7 beats it in every other spot across the board.
Console storage is important to us and apparently the Q7 doesn't have any. (Yes, I need to go over both with a fine tooth comb). How's the storage and utility compare?

I wanted to keep our XC90 for 100k miles or more. We didn't get past 25k before I got fed up with constant dealer visits for service that sometimes lasted weeks on end. The Sensus system is full of bugs. Dealers can't keep up with updates and often claim to fix something just to have it reappear days later.
Yep, sounds like software issues. Had the same on a Volvo convertible which was solved with an update.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

At one point we had a 2007 Q7 & 2008 LR3. Q7 (4.2) was more fun to drive but LR3 did everything else better...more space, adults fit in the third row, better in winter driving thanks to snow mode. Right now we have two 2013 LR4's, both are V8 HSE-LUX models. Thankfully one is red and the other is gray. Mine is getting up in mileage so I'm looking to replace it.

I'm down to either a Q7 or new Discovery. New Discovery has absolutely nothing in common with an LR4. (Most LR4 owners that have seen or driven the new Discovery hate it) LR4's are going to be like the original Audi allroad, they have actually gone up in value and will be in demand for years to come.

Anyway, the Q7 and Discovery are both very nice luxury crossovers. IMO, the Q7 has the better engine and handles a little better. Discovery has more storage room, especially in the way back since the roof doesn't slope forward. Unlike the Q7, the Discovery comes with a spare tire and you can add a full size spare for $400. Q7 Prestige with air suspension and Discovery HSE-LUX are very close in price. Of course the Discovery is amazing offroad and it's a waste not to use it for that. If you get one, take it on the beach, through the woods and to a Land Rover sponsored off road event. You will be amazed.

Then there is one other choice coming...the VW Atlas. $50K for a loaded SEL model seems like a good deal. Although the 3.6 may be a little disappointing after driving the SCV6 in either the Q7 or Discovery.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Am still looking for "the perfect SUV" and just checked Consumer Reports. They sure slam the Discovery when it comes to reliability.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Bench
Console storage is important to us and apparently the Q7 doesn't have any. (Yes, I need to go over both with a fine tooth comb). How's the storage and utility compare?

Yep, sounds like software issues. Had the same on a Volvo convertible which was solved with an update.
The XC90 is hindered by a rarely-used CD player that takes up precious space in the console. Some have tried to remove it to free up space. Almost impossible. There is a small spot for sunglasses to the left of the steering wheel. It's about the same size as the secret spot in the Q7 doors.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

The XC90 is hindered by a rarely-used CD player that takes up precious space in the console. Some have tried to remove it to free up space. Almost impossible. There is a small spot for sunglasses to the left of the steering wheel. It's about the same size as the secret spot in the Q7 doors.
Thanks for the info. Scratch that one off the list. As a Lexus owner they did the same thing, reduce the console utility space to nothing plus we hate the new "angry" look and will not buy one again until they change it.

Leaves us with a Q7, Mercedes, Beemer X5 or Acura MDX, the latter have a ton of utility and cargo space.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Bench
Am still looking for "the perfect SUV" and just checked Consumer Reports. They sure slam the Discovery when it comes to reliability.
Based on what? Nobody owns one yet, there is only one Discovery demo at each dealership. Ford invested billions into Land Rover to modernize manufacturing and improve quality. Tata has even deeper pockets so who knows what they have spent. CR must be using data from pre-Ford & Tata ownership. We drove over 250K combined miles on an LR3 & LR4 with very few issues, just suspension parts that wear out from all the weight.

I was shocked when CR liked the Q7. They used to slam Audi for reliability as well and usually recommend transportation appliances from Toyota/Lexus.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul3.2A4avant
Based on what? Nobody owns one yet, there is only one Discovery demo at each dealership. Ford invested billions into Land Rover to modernize manufacturing and improve quality. Tata has even deeper pockets so who knows what they have spent. CR must be using data from pre-Ford & Tata ownership. We drove over 250K combined miles on an LR3 & LR4 with very few issues, just suspension parts that wear out from all the weight.

I was shocked when CR liked the Q7. They used to slam Audi for reliability as well and usually recommend transportation appliances from Toyota/Lexus.
i agree with you that Tata has invested and turned the brand around. also the Jaguar. reliability has improved. they made the land rover brand and specially range rover something of its own. going to test drive a few models of land rover this weekend.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

There is a small spot for sunglasses to the left of the steering wheel. It's about the same size as the secret spot in the Q7 doors.
WAIT - what secret spot??????????!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RSQ9
WAIT - what secret spot??????????!!!!!!!
Yeah, I want to know too. I can find one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd q7