Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2nd Row - middle seat is a waste

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2nd Row - middle seat is a waste

On the 2017 - the 2nd row middle seat has the raised floor and is cramped. My kids are in college and this car for us is a comfortable 4 seater.

That space would be better utilized as a deep cargo / dual cup holder / arm rest combination.

I'm thinking of having something fabricated & using the leather from the middle seat to match the rest of the interior.

Anybody thought of this or had done something similar? My "R" class had a great cargo / cup holder between the 2nd row seat.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I beg to differ. 2nd row middle seat is very useful just the way it is for us. Even when the child seats are removed, there's comfortable adult seating in middle seat and it's not an issue to straddle the middle hump thanks to the spacious 2nd row leg room in this car. I love how wide the Q7's interior is in the 2nd row. I can easily fit 3 full-sized convertible child seat across just in the 2nd row alone. And I can configure it for 2 child rear-facing child seats on the middle section and one of the outboard sections, while still allowing easy fold and tumble of one of the seats for access to the 3rd row as well as plenty of space for that remaining 2nd row outboard seat for an adult. When child seats are not in place, I love how the entire 2nd row folds completely flat and parallel to 3rd row for large cargo runs. A middle console in the 2nd row would not allow for this. IMO, this is also the most well-designed set-up for those who use child seats that I've seen on any other luxury crossover/suv we've looked at. Even the 3rd row has a two sets of latch anchors and tethers for front facing child seats.

You do realize that the 2nd row middle section has a fold out armrest with cupholders, right?

Old 09-03-2016, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must disagree. Works perfect for us

Old 09-03-2016, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also surprised. The Q7 strongpoints is the 2nd row. Wider than xc90 and one of the only cars with x3 ISOFIX, which I wanted. Volvo has a better 3rd row, but after sitting between 2 child seats in a Cayenne, X5, Q5, XC60 my wife told it was actually quite comfortable to sit on the center rear seat when necessary, the Q7 is so wide. So one of tje reasons I chose the Q7 is the wnd row.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the MKll 2nd row is a big improvement over my prior Q7's 2nd row. Like others have said, now enough space for two car seats and still full width for an adult, no matter what seating configuration you use.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Q7
On the 2017 - the 2nd row middle seat has the raised floor and is cramped. My kids are in college and this car for us is a comfortable 4 seater.

That space would be better utilized as a deep cargo / dual cup holder / arm rest combination.

I'm thinking of having something fabricated & using the leather from the middle seat to match the rest of the interior.

Anybody thought of this or had done something similar? My "R" class had a great cargo / cup holder between the 2nd row seat.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I appreciate all the input and I'm long past car seats. It appears nobody has customized their cars to this extent yet.

As stated, for an adult, the middle seat is not the best.

Check out the XC90 Excellence & the 2nd row. I'm looking for something similar.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:30 AM
NGN
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LarryV and ProEdgeBiker,

Thank you both for sharing your experience and the pictures.

Latch option on all 2nd and 3rd row seats, and the ability to install car seats in the middle and one side while still being able to access the third row is huge for me.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the fact that you can latch a car seat into the middle of the second row. This was a major disappointment with my MIL's brand new MB GLS 450 that only has latches on the outside seats and you have to deal with the headrests...
Old 09-04-2016, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its very useful. Its wider then my Honda Odyssey.

Quick Reply: 2nd Row - middle seat is a waste