Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2nd Row - middle seat is a waste

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adamvincent617
I love the fact that you can latch a car seat into the middle of the second row.
this was very useful for us and was just another reason we stayed clear from the XC90 that didn't have this as an option.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We also have our car seat in the middle, and we love the space it offers. But OP was simply asking if anyone has modified the middle seat into a center console, not that the middle seat was garbage overall (only to him)
Old 09-06-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those who posted pictures of rear-facing car seats (convertible or infant) in the second row, does the car seat fit with the front passenger seat all the way back? Or does it have to be moved forward somewhat to accommodate? Thanks for any info on that as important for tall passenger...
Old 09-06-2016, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by victoras
For those who posted pictures of rear-facing car seats (convertible or infant) in the second row, does the car seat fit with the front passenger seat all the way back? Or does it have to be moved forward somewhat to accommodate? Thanks for any info on that as important for tall passenger...
Sorry should mention was referring to car seats behind front passenger. . .
Old 09-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry should mention was referring to car seats behind front passenger. . .
With the Britax Boulevard Clicktight rear-facing (2nd row seat fully slid back and fully reclined for leg room) requires that the front seat to be forward slightly. It is thankfully night and day compared to my BMW 3-series sedan.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

It really depends on the brand/model of rear-facing child seat as well as your own fore-aft space requirements.

We have the Britax Boulevard clicktight set to medium recline angle rear-facing for a 2yo toddler, and when I placed it behind the driver's seat, it just slightly touches the back of the driver's seat which I had set to my own comfortable driving position (I am 5'9"). Ideally, you need some space, so I installed the rear-facing seats behind the front passenger seat and another behind the center console, leaving the seat behind the driver's seat unoccupied. However, when my wife who is 5'2" sets the driver's seat to her settings, this space is not an issue at all as the rear-facing britax have plenty of room before contacting the back of the driver's seat.

FWIW, this is the most fore-aft child seat accommodations in the 2nd row that I've ever seen on an car we've owned from various Audis, BMWs, and MB. The only car I've tried with more child seat space is an '16 A8L I had as a loaner from the dealership a few months ago, but that's not really a fair comparison
Old 09-06-2016, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks so much for the replies! I had looked at a Q7 early on but hadn't brought a car seat along to test (and it's hard to get back to the Audi dealer right now). Checked out the XC90 and had to move the front passenger seat up a surprising amount to fit a rear facing convertible. Wouldn't have felt comfortable sitting in that seat for a prolonged period (at 6'5"). Drove a Highlander too as a lower cost option and was amazed that could fit the convertible with the passenger seat all the way back. Sounds like the Q7 might be somewhere in between...
Old 09-06-2016, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You're looking to do custom 2nd row captain seats?
Old 09-07-2016, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks so much for the replies! I had looked at a Q7 early on but hadn't brought a car seat along to test (and it's hard to get back to the Audi dealer right now). Checked out the XC90 and had to move the front passenger seat up a surprising amount to fit a rear facing convertible. Wouldn't have felt comfortable sitting in that seat for a prolonged period (at 6'5"). Drove a Highlander too as a lower cost option and was amazed that could fit the convertible with the passenger seat all the way back. Sounds like the Q7 might be somewhere in between...
Don't forget that the Q7 2nd row seats are on tracks. So make sure you slide the seat all the way back when installing the carseat.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just transitioned from an infant seat to an Infant/toddler seat.

Decided to go with the middle seat to place it. Absolutely spectacular setup to use the latches and fits just right while leaving all the space for an adult on either side to recline and move up/down without any obstruction. 3rd row entry or folding down of 2nd row seat is uninterrupted. You can tell Audi thought this through, functionality without loss of function!

Just need to see if strapping on my kid would be more convenient if i placed the carseat by the window. Didn't want to lose the rear heated seat feature which is only for the left and right rears, thus use of the middle seat to place the car seat.

Quick Reply: 2nd Row - middle seat is a waste