AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   4 cyl Turbo Suckiness proof... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/4-cyl-turbo-suckiness-proof-2966041/)

arU4ic 01-23-2019 01:20 PM

4 cyl Turbo Suckiness proof...

It's not exactly a Q7 - but it proves my point that I've been b*$%&#ng about for 3 years...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...paign=15782357

whyman 01-23-2019 01:59 PM

exactly, plus the 4 cylinder sounds like a tractor engine from a communist era agriculture machine in this big of an SUV

SYMAWD 01-23-2019 02:03 PM

It gets the same MPG as the supercharged V6, but it's about $6,500 cheaper and sells decently.

RJC 1 01-23-2019 04:00 PM

They certainly offer decent acceleration and they have finally eliminated the rough/vibration at idle, but I still dont like them.

whyman 01-23-2019 05:53 PM

acceleration is questionable, but sound is definitely annoying,

arU4ic 01-23-2019 07:56 PM

What I hate most is the pretending that it's better for the planet and that Automakers are increasing their MPGs, but really they are just increasing their margins.

I wonder if these engines help automaker's fleets to hit their gov't mandated goals for MPG and because they are turbo charged, it is somehow a loop-hole - because its part of the exhaust system not part of the engine. (?)

Or the automakers know people will buy them and just want to increase profits.

RJC 1 01-23-2019 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by arU4ic (Post 25266169)
What I hate most is the pretending that it's better for the planet and that Automakers are increasing their MPGs, but really they are just increasing their margins.

I wonder if these engines help automaker's fleets to hit their gov't mandated goals for MPG and because they are turbo charged, it is somehow a loop-hole - because its part of the exhaust system not part of the engine. (?)

I'd bet it's mostly all the above

whyman 01-23-2019 09:42 PM

To be Honest, the Supercharged V6 is the best engine I've ever driven, such linear power delivery, no lag at all, no desire for more power, linear power + smoothness, something the 4 cylinder lacks in every part.

Why are they even phasing out superchargers for turbos... New A7 etc... will all have turbo v6s, the turbo lag is immensely bad, half the time, the engine feels like it goes into limp mode and cuts turbo power

gsobol 01-24-2019 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by arU4ic (Post 25266169)

Even with all the changes you described, it's not easy to hit the gov't goals with the current vehicle lineup. It's for entire fleet of vehicles, and before light trucks (pickups) were excluded, not anymore. For MY2020 CAFE standards call for 35MPG average over entire manufacturer's fleet. The only way to achieve that is either build smaller crappier cars, which nobody want's to buy, or smaller packaged turbo charged engines in larger SUVs and buy ZEV credits from other car makers such as Tesla to artificially bump up your overall MPGs. But car companies are not in a business of loosing money, so if they can see an opening where they can give you something less (like a smaller engine), and charge you more (because of what the gov't demands), hey why not.

Force-1 01-24-2019 03:34 PM

In the Battle Between Superchargers and Turbochargers, There’s a Clear Winner. For Now