Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

4 cyl Turbo Suckiness proof...

Old 01-23-2019, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 4 cyl Turbo Suckiness proof...

It's not exactly a Q7 - but it proves my point that I've been b*$%&#ng about for 3 years...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...paign=15782357

Old 01-23-2019, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

exactly, plus the 4 cylinder sounds like a tractor engine from a communist era agriculture machine in this big of an SUV
Old 01-23-2019, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It gets the same MPG as the supercharged V6, but it's about $6,500 cheaper and sells decently.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They certainly offer decent acceleration and they have finally eliminated the rough/vibration at idle, but I still dont like them.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

acceleration is questionable, but sound is definitely annoying,
Old 01-23-2019, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What I hate most is the pretending that it's better for the planet and that Automakers are increasing their MPGs, but really they are just increasing their margins.

I wonder if these engines help automaker's fleets to hit their gov't mandated goals for MPG and because they are turbo charged, it is somehow a loop-hole - because its part of the exhaust system not part of the engine. (?)

Or the automakers know people will buy them and just want to increase profits.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic View Post
What I hate most is the pretending that it's better for the planet and that Automakers are increasing their MPGs, but really they are just increasing their margins.

I wonder if these engines help automaker's fleets to hit their gov't mandated goals for MPG and because they are turbo charged, it is somehow a loop-hole - because its part of the exhaust system not part of the engine. (?)

I'd bet it's mostly all the above
Old 01-23-2019, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

To be Honest, the Supercharged V6 is the best engine I've ever driven, such linear power delivery, no lag at all, no desire for more power, linear power + smoothness, something the 4 cylinder lacks in every part.

Why are they even phasing out superchargers for turbos... New A7 etc... will all have turbo v6s, the turbo lag is immensely bad, half the time, the engine feels like it goes into limp mode and cuts turbo power
Old 01-24-2019, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic View Post

Even with all the changes you described, it's not easy to hit the gov't goals with the current vehicle lineup. It's for entire fleet of vehicles, and before light trucks (pickups) were excluded, not anymore. For MY2020 CAFE standards call for 35MPG average over entire manufacturer's fleet. The only way to achieve that is either build smaller crappier cars, which nobody want's to buy, or smaller packaged turbo charged engines in larger SUVs and buy ZEV credits from other car makers such as Tesla to artificially bump up your overall MPGs. But car companies are not in a business of loosing money, so if they can see an opening where they can give you something less (like a smaller engine), and charge you more (because of what the gov't demands), hey why not.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4 cyl Turbo Suckiness proof...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: