Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

4 cyl Turbo Suckiness proof...

Old 01-24-2019, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by whyman View Post
To be Honest, the Supercharged V6 is the best engine I've ever driven, such linear power delivery, no lag at all, no desire for more power, linear power + smoothness, something the 4 cylinder lacks in every part.

Why are they even phasing out superchargers for turbos... New A7 etc... will all have turbo v6s, the turbo lag is immensely bad, half the time, the engine feels like it goes into limp mode and cuts turbo power
Yeah I agreed - I was STUNNED when I drove the 18 - I was trading in my 15 and didn't expect such a radical leap forward, from essentially, the same engine block. I was so stunned that I stop shopping and bought one - I had no intention of buying a new Q7 - i was pissed about the premium for the appropriate motor. Driving the 3.0 cured me.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
Even with all the changes you described, it's not easy to hit the gov't goals with the current vehicle lineup. It's for entire fleet of vehicles, and before light trucks (pickups) were excluded, not anymore. For MY2020 CAFE standards call for 35MPG average over entire manufacturer's fleet. The only way to achieve that is either build smaller crappier cars, which nobody want's to buy, or smaller packaged turbo charged engines in larger SUVs and buy ZEV credits from other car makers such as Tesla to artificially bump up your overall MPGs. But car companies are not in a business of loosing money, so if they can see an opening where they can give you something less (like a smaller engine), and charge you more (because of what the gov't demands), hey why not.
why not? because its slimy and disingenuous - at a time when they need to be as clear, honest and transparent as possible.

I am curious if CAFE over-looks the turbo charging (somehow) when it calculates the total numbers for a manufacture's lineup?

Last edited by arU4ic; 01-24-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I luv the SC 3.0 but in all fairness the turbo 3.0 I drove in 5 different Q8's was quite good, tons of power and very repsonsive ...just need to press the pedal a bit more and it goes... just didnt sound as refined as our beloved SC'd inside and out. Glad i'm getting a 19 though last year of the goodness
Old 01-25-2019, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RJC 1 View Post
just need to press the pedal a bit more and it goes... just didnt sound as refined as our beloved SC'd inside and out.
That is reason enough to not like the turbo. I find them annoying