Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

50TDI Engine rattle low revs

Old 04-29-2019, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50TDI Engine rattle low revs

Hi!

I took delivery of my Q7 50TDI (3.0 diesel) around two weeks ago, and have noticed a couple of things with the engine which are causing some concern, I've just passed the 1000 mile mark in it.

Firstly, both cold and warm (though more noticeable when cold) at low to gentle acceleration around 1-2k RPM the engine is very loud and rough sounding, with a rattle noise - sounds a bit like a tractor/old 4 pot engine. As soon as I'm past 2k RPM, it sounds buttery smooth, like a completely different engine. Also when idling I'm sure I can hear a loud ticking noise, almost like a pump, not sure if this is normal or not, its louder than the background engine noise.
Secondly on cold starts, the engine sounds rough, and on 2 occasions the idle has been rough enough to feel the car rocking as a result, though it only lasts 20 seconds or so.

Any thoughts? Or have I just got car hypochondria?

Thanks, John
Old 04-29-2019, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by john_wing
Hi!

I took delivery of my Q7 50TDI (3.0 diesel) around two weeks ago, and have noticed a couple of things with the engine which are causing some concern, I've just passed the 1000 mile mark in it.

Firstly, both cold and warm (though more noticeable when cold) at low to gentle acceleration around 1-2k RPM the engine is very loud and rough sounding, with a rattle noise - sounds a bit like a tractor/old 4 pot engine. As soon as I'm past 2k RPM, it sounds buttery smooth, like a completely different engine. Also when idling I'm sure I can hear a loud ticking noise, almost like a pump, not sure if this is normal or not, its louder than the background engine noise.
Secondly on cold starts, the engine sounds rough, and on 2 occasions the idle has been rough enough to feel the car rocking as a result, though it only lasts 20 seconds or so.

Thanks, John
John,
Majority of actively participating members on this forum are from the US. The TDIs (Alas!) were taken away from us after VAG was caught cheating emissions law . So don't be discouraged by the lack of many replies. I used to drive Touareg TDI before Diesel scandal... equipped with the same TDI engine as yours or close enough. What you'd described is not normal by any standard, but it is hard to judge unless you'll post an audio record. I bet there are quite a few of us former TDI-ers here that might comment on your case.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I would expect any modern engine - diesel or gas - to be smooth and pretty much silent. Something is definitely wrong.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi!

Thanks, John
John,

i thought it was paranoia to start. Mine first rattled and had a rough idle at 4000 miles. Then it’s done it 3-4 times since up to 7000 miles currently. I was driving on roads that I knew were perfectly smooth yet I could feel the car Lurching and snatching. So I booked it in along with a panoramic roof rattle and a faulty window not working on one touch.

Ive heard back from Audi dealer and there is a technical bulletin out for a problem described exactly as I reported the fault ( roughy idle, intermittent misfire,lack of power at low revs). So I’m getting the car back with no fix as it is for central Audi (factory) to diagnose and fix the problem then release the fix for dealers to repair.

This is the 2nd new Q7 I’ve had, the old one 272bhp s line and this is a 50 tdi black edition. Fantastic car but I’ve had more issues with them both than I’ve ever had with any / all the cars I’ve owned. I’m ready to throw the towel in with Audi in all honesty.

Ill post update with bulletin # if I can get it out of audi!

Cheers
neil
Old 05-30-2019, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Vagbob
John,

i thought it was paranoia to start. Mine first rattled and had a rough idle at 4000 miles. Then it’s done it 3-4 times since up to 7000 miles currently. I was driving on roads that I knew were perfectly smooth yet I could feel the car Lurching and snatching. So I booked it in along with a panoramic roof rattle and a faulty window not working on one touch.

Ive heard back from Audi dealer and there is a technical bulletin out for a problem described exactly as I reported the fault ( roughy idle, intermittent misfire,lack of power at low revs). So I’m getting the car back with no fix as it is for central Audi (factory) to diagnose and fix the problem then release the fix for dealers to repair.

This is the 2nd new Q7 I’ve had, the old one 272bhp s line and this is a 50 tdi black edition. Fantastic car but I’ve had more issues with them both than I’ve ever had with any / all the cars I’ve owned. I’m ready to throw the towel in with Audi in all honesty.

Ill post update with bulletin # if I can get it out of audi!

Cheers
neil
Hey Neil,

After taking mine in for the issues mentioned, the technician noticed that one of the injectors was near the limit of it's fueling tolerances @ +2/6 (limit is +3). Whilst this is within tolerance, they replaced it under warranty.

This improved the symptoms, though didn't remove any of them completely. Since taking it in a second time, the bulletin you've mentioned has been released and I've been given the same response as yourself. Talking through with the technician, he wondered if it was an issue with under-fueling caused by the eternal chase to reduce emissions as much as possible. Fingers crossed that they resolve it, I'm starting to miss the 35d engine from my previous BMW.

This Q7 is my first Audi to date, though I agree with your sentiment, lovely car, albeit it with more issues than I've ever experienced on a new vehicle. The latest one being an annoying rattle when playing music with moderate to high bass coming from the rear of the cabin.

Thanks, John
Old 01-24-2020, 01:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default same

Hi!

Thanks, John

hi john,
we have same model bought it nov 18 at 10 month old, had it 3 weeks and just stopped the car started jumping, could feel it revving and rocking, put in park and it carried on, turned off and ok, wife slowed at junction and car wanted to pull forward , took into audi they know about it and working on ecu upgrade due this month, not heard anything yet, now doing it couple of time a week, i also thought a little noisy on tickover and also hear the clicking, will mention when goes back in, great car though.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi John,

While my Q7 is a 2018 and the 3.0 gas not diesel I did have a low RPM rattle. Check out post #12 in this thread where I list the issue with the muffler flex pipe and the repair and parts performed by my dealer.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...ution-2975380/