Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Frustration: Fixing tilted steering wheel

Old 02-27-2017, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustration: Fixing tilted steering wheel

Hi

I brought my car to dealer to fix the alignment / tracking / steering wheel FOUR times, and the problem still persists :-( The car is still very new, only about 1600 miles when I brought it to the dealer to fix it.

I really need yours advice on how to move forward / fix this.

Here is how it went:
1) FIRST TIME: Initially, the steering wheel was level and horizontal straight, but the car moved to the right. So I brought it to dealer to check it out. They acknowledged the issue, and according to the doc, they adjusted the rear toe to negative (or something like that)

Brought it home .. do more test drive

2) SECOND TIME: Discovered the steering wheel now is titled to the right, and the car still moved to the right (although it was less severe than the first time). Told the SA the issue, they kept the car for like 3 days... then returned the car back to me, said everything is ok now. I'm not clear anything has been done during these last 3 days?!

3) THIRD TIME: Seem like nothing has been done during the last visit?! Told SA and requested test-drive with shop foreman, and showed him the issue. They acknowledged the issue, and did alignment, adjusted toe, camper, steering wheel etc.. and what's not. When I picked up the car, the SA gave me the spec list, which showed numbers within the (Audi?) specs.

4) FOURTH TIME: The car now tracks straight, so I guess alignment and stuffs are fine. HOWEVER the steering tilted to the left :-( Brought it in to the dealer again, and this time, the technician had me sit on the rack, and hold the steering level / horizontal straight. Then he tighten bolts or something, and checked the number on sensor screen...

Brought it home .. do more test drive ... and the steering wheel still tilts to the left (although it's a tiny bit less than before)

* They did check the tire pressure

I'm exhausted, and tired with this whole ordeal. I understand road crown and such, so when I test drive and check steering wheel level, I only consider "flat" surface road. Local / highway, low speed / high speed does not matter, steering is slightly tilted to the left when the car go straight. When I drive fast on highway, without (or only slightly) hold on to the steering wheel, I could see the steering wheel *default* position is titled.

Also, I don't think I'm being too sensitive. I don't have this issue with my other SUVs or sedans. The steering level was fine initially, then titled right, and now titled left, so I felt the different there after the servicing at dealer.

Is there something wrong with my car? Anything else that I should check or the dealer may have missed?

What is your advice on proceeding with this matter?

All I really want is to get it fixed, and enjoy my car :-(

Please help!!!!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel for you. I had a similar issue with my X5 after replacing all 4 tyres and getting the alignment checked.

The highly recommended local independent had all the laser gear etc, but I reckon I took it back 4 times before they got it to the point i could live with it. Still a slight tilt to drive straight but only by a few degrees. I still don't understand why it proved so hard?

Do people generally accept it? They gave me the impression that I was unreasonable wanting it flat to drive straight!!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I feel like my steering wheel is slightly turned to the right when I drive and I mean slightly. Doesn't seem like a huge problem. Would you be able to post up your alignment specs? I would like to compare them to mine as im dealing with another issue.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by manguyen
I feel like my steering wheel is slightly turned to the right when I drive and I mean slightly. Doesn't seem like a huge problem. Would you be able to post up your alignment specs? I would like to compare them to mine as im dealing with another issue.
I'll look for the doc and post it once I'm done.

When you rest on the steering wheel, usually you would try to adjust it to level, then you know it would make the car go slightly right.. now you have to make minor adjustment title to the left (default position) so the car go straight. This is soo annoying.

Mine is tilted about 2~3 degree.. Is there a rule that this tilt is within acceptable range?

Last edited by pgtop; 02-27-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I had this issue on an older Isuzu Rodeo. From new, I had to hold the steering a few degrees to the right to keep the car straight. And it was also a pain to keep holding in that position because you couldn't relax. Took it in a few times but no fix. I was young back then so never really cared too much to make a song and dance out of it
Old 02-27-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pgtop
Hi

I brought my car to dealer to fix the alignment / tracking / steering wheel FOUR times, and the problem still persists :-( The car is still very new, only about 1600 miles when I brought it to the dealer to fix it.

I really need yours advice on how to move forward / fix this.

Here is how it went:
1) FIRST TIME: Initially, the steering wheel was level and horizontal straight, but the car moved to the right. So I brought it to dealer to check it out. They acknowledged the issue, and according to the doc, they adjusted the rear toe to negative (or something like that)

2) SECOND TIME: Discovered the steering wheel now is titled to the right, and the car still moved to the right (although it was less severe than the first time). Told the SA the issue, they kept the car for like 3 days... then returned the car back to me, said everything is ok now. I'm not clear anything has been done during these last 3 days?!

3) THIRD TIME: Seem like nothing has been done during the last visit?! Told SA and requested test-drive with shop foreman, and showed him the issue. They acknowledged the issue, and did alignment, adjusted toe, camper, steering wheel etc.. and what's not. When I picked up the car, the SA gave me the spec list, which showed numbers within the (Audi?) specs.

4) FOURTH TIME: The car now tracks straight, so I guess alignment and stuffs are fine. HOWEVER the steering tilted to the left :-( Brought it in to the dealer again, and this time, the technician had me sit on the rack, and hold the steering level / horizontal straight. Then he tighten bolts or something, and checked the number on sensor screen...

Brought it home .. do more test drive ... and the steering wheel still tilts to the left (although it's a tiny bit less than before)

* They did check the tire pressure

I'm exhausted, and tired with this whole ordeal. I understand road crown and such, so when I test drive and check steering wheel level, I only consider "flat" surface road. Local / highway, low speed / high speed does not matter, steering is slightly tilted to the left when the car go straight. When I drive fast on highway, without (or only slightly) hold on to the steering wheel, I could see the steering wheel *default* position is titled.

Also, I don't think I'm being too sensitive. I don't have this issue with my other SUVs or sedans. The steering level was fine initially, then titled right, and now titled left, so I felt the different there after the servicing at dealer.

Is there something wrong with my car? Anything else that I should check or the dealer may have missed?

What is your advice on proceeding with this matter?

All I really want is to get it fixed, and enjoy my car :-(

Please help!!!!
You have radial pull, did they swap the front tires left to right?
Old 02-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have the dynamic package ? all wheel driving?
Old 02-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IndyRon
You have radial pull, did they swap the front tires left to right?
I don't think so.

Originally Posted by Kall
do you have the dynamic package ? all wheel driving?
It's a Q7 2017 Quattro, so it's an all wheel drive. No, I don't have "dynamic / air suspension system".
Old 02-27-2017, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

If it is tracking straight why doesn't the dealer realign the steering wheel. I have swapped steering wheels in the past and had to pull the wheel back off after my initial install and ever so slightly clock the wheel counterclockwise to get it right while driving. Maybe that is what needs to happen for you.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Getting the steering wheel perfectly straight seems to be a challenge during alignment. I've dealt with this issue pretty much with every alignment and it's why I am hesitant now to do an alignment at all, unless absolutely necessary. It's also hard to test. There are no perfectly flat roads at least around here and there are always grooves in the road surface that can pull the car to one side or the other. Certain tires are more prone to follow road imperfections. Another issue is the reference that the tech uses to align the steering wheel. Most reference something on the dash that appears horizontal to them. It's often the case that it actually isn't horizontal. I had a conversation with one of the technician and he showed me what he used as a reference, so I pointed out to him that that's not actual level. I have a flat bottom steering wheel and I use the flat bottom as a reference. Seems like techs don't do that. Another issue is the weight of the technician sitting in the car and getting in and out. Steering wheel might be center for the tech when he is sitting in the car and his weight is pulling down the driver side, but if you are sitting in it, different weight and the steering wheel may not be centered.

I just kinda try to live with it. Mine is pretty centered on my current car, but I do feel it's slightly to the left. It would just be never ending if I went back. There are ways to manually adjust it by either taking the wheel off and notch it a bit or adjust the tie rods yourself equally on both sides to shift the steering a bit. Here's a DIY from a bimmer owner.

DIY: Centering the steering wheel after getting an alignment easily!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frustration: Fixing tilted steering wheel