Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

ACC and Traffic Jam Assist

Old 08-11-2017, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ACC and Traffic Jam Assist

Now that I have tried my car a few times in traffic, I have some thoughts.

TJA is nice when it is working, but it takes mental energy to remember or check if it is active.

There are so many things that make it not active.

1. Hitting the brakes.
2. Going over 40 mph.
3. It seeing cars coming at you on a non-divided road.
4. It not seeing lines.

So you can never relax and let it do its thing, as at any given time, there is a significant chance it won't work.

Another issue - shen you have normal cruise control, it makes sense for it to default to your current speed when you engage it. But with ACC, and if I am in traffic going 20 on a 65 mph speed limit road, I don't want it to turn on and be set for 20! I want it to turn on and be set for the speed limit, or the speed limit +- some offset.

So there needs to be a setting where AAC could be either activated at the current speed, or at the speed limit +- some offset -- especially if the speed is currently limited by the radar seeing that I am in traffic.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Now that I have tried my car a few times in traffic, I have some thoughts.

TJA is nice when it is working, but it takes mental energy to remember or check if it is active.

There are so many things that make it not active.

1. Hitting the brakes.
2. Going over 40 mph.
3. It seeing cars coming at you on a non-divided road.
4. It not seeing lines.

So you can never relax and let it do its thing, as at any given time, there is a significant chance it won't work.

Another issue - shen you have normal cruise control, it makes sense for it to default to your current speed when you engage it. But with ACC, and if I am in traffic going 20 on a 65 mph speed limit road, I don't want it to turn on and be set for 20! I want it to turn on and be set for the speed limit, or the speed limit +- some offset.

So there needs to be a setting where AAC could be either activated at the current speed, or at the speed limit +- some offset -- especially if the speed is currently limited by the radar seeing that I am in traffic.
Just press set and it will go to the current speed you are going. Even if TJA shuts off, ACC is still active and you should have your hands on the steering wheel anyway.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Just press set and it will go to the current speed you are going.
I know. That is bad. If I am on a highway with a 65 mph speed limit, but stuck in traffic going 20 mph, and turn on ACC, I want it to come on at the speed limit, not at 20 mph. This is especially true if it was previously just set for 65 but disengaged from having to hit the brakes. The cars knows the speed limit. Why would I want to drive 20 on a road where the speed limit is 65? Should be a user preference but defaulted to off.

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Even if TJA shuts off, ACC is still active and you should have your hands on the steering wheel anyway.
Depends why it is off. True if it is off because it can't get a lock. But if it is off because a car just cut in front of you and you had to hit the brakes, then AAC is turned off. I guess they have to do this, or else some person will not know how to turn ACC off if it doesn't go off from hitting the brakes. I will just have to learn to resist hitting the brakes. But twice today cars cut into the gap in front of me, and the ACC didn't see it happening. Personally I don't cut in front of people if it will require them to react to not hit me! So it is annoying when people do it to others.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This is especially true if it was previously just set for 65 but disengaged from having to hit the brakes. The cars knows the speed limit. Why would I want to drive 20 on a road where the speed limit is 65? Should be a user preference but defaulted to off.

If you had it set at 65, then hit the brakes, pulling the stalk forward will resume it at 65 again.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I see. I should have known that because that is how normal cruise control works. Thanks.

It is just that I never used my normal cruise control because, well, it was just too annoying to always be running up to other cars.

As little useful as normal cruise control is, ACC is the total opposite. It is outstanding.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How come when the car comes to a complete stop, sometimes it moves again on its own when the car in front of me moves. Other times I have to tap the accelerator?

Does it just have to do with if it is in ACC or TJA mode?

BTW, I don't mind *** and don't find the restarting of the engine to be bothersome.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How come when the car comes to a complete stop, sometimes it moves again on its own when the car in front of me moves. Other times I have to tap the accelerator?

Does it just have to do with if it is in ACC or TJA mode?

BTW, I don't mind *** and don't find the restarting of the engine to be bothersome.
It will resume on its own as long as the stop was for ~3 seconds or less. You will see the "ACC Automatic Go" message in the virtual cockpit when it will resume on its own.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Not that taxing. The TJA symbol comes up in the dash better yet comes up in the HUD if u have a prestige. At first i was confused but now It such a seamless operation to me as the car transition between tja and acc. Setting the speed is easy too by pushing or down on the stalk. You can have the car change the speed with the speed signs but not sure how that works with TJA engaged
Old 08-12-2017, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can increase the set cruise control speed on the left lower stalk by 1's or 5's depending on how far you push it.

This car has a ton of features. It behooves you to spend the time to read the manual to make sure you're getting the most out of it.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

You can also give the stalk a quick tug rather than tap the accelerator to get going again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ACC and Traffic Jam Assist