Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Access to 3rd row?

Old 10-06-2016, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Access to 3rd row?

Hello-

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger and buying a Q7, but I'm curious whether anyone regularly has their children use the 3rd row.

I have 4 kids and need to have two kids in the 3rd row. I'm concerned about how difficult it might be for them to get back there (their still young) given that the 2nd row seat has to be moved manually and (to my great consternation) there are no captain's chairs

This one issue might push me to the Infinity QX60, which I plan on test driving this weekend.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

It will depend on your kids' age and their ability to physically operate the 2-step fold and tumble 2nd row mechanism on their own.

It's not difficult, but it's not very intuitive either, and smaller kids will probably have a hard time. Plus, I personally wouldn't let any young kids do it on their own for the simple fact that they can easily smash the 2nd row latch with all its weight on their little foot when latching it back down after entry.

Of course if an adult who knows how does it for them, it's easy and safer. So if your intention is to make 3rd row access easy for young kids to do on their own, then sadly the Q7 is probably not a good option.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bummer.

Why on earth would Audi not offer captain's chairs? My understanding is that they were available on the previous iteration.

I guess I'll see what the QX60 offers before deciding.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Getting in the third row on this new Q7 is far easier then the prior generation. Like LarryV said above, will depend on your kids age and ability if you need them to do on their own. Though most all makers third rows are better served having adults help younger kids in IMO (too many moving things, not to mention being sure seat belts / booster seats etc. are in place properly).
Old 10-10-2016, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 7 year old loves to ride in the far back and he likes to open the 2nd row seats himself. My 3 year old only likes to ride in the 3rd row when her elder brother is there. The younger one (2 years old) only likes to ride in his toddler seat (Orbit Baby) in the middle seat of the second row.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 3rd row has plenty of space once the 2nd row is folded up. I have been in the 3rd seat and getting there is very easy. So for your kids, they will have plenty of space to walk. Of course, you would have fold the 2nd row seat up yourself as they are heavy. I wished that Audi would put motorized seat on the 2nd row like the 3rd row.