Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Adaptive Cruise: Set Speed Limit with Tolerance

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise: Set Speed Limit with Tolerance

Has anyone figured out how the Set Speed Limit with Tolerance works for the Adaptive Cruise Control? As far as I can tell, setting it to "with tolerance" seems to work the same as just setting it to "on".

Menu > Vehicle > Driver Assistance > Adaptive Cruise Control > Set Speed Limit (off, on, with tolerance)

For example, if I'm cruising at 70 in a 65mph zone and the speed limit changes to 55, the cruise resets itself to exactly 55, not 60 (+5) or 59 (+7%). It seems to behave this was whether the option is set to "with tolerance" or "on".

Anybody else experience this?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
Has anyone figured out how the Set Speed Limit with Tolerance works for the Adaptive Cruise Control? As far as I can tell, setting it to "with tolerance" seems to work the same as just setting it to "on".

Menu > Vehicle > Driver Assistance > Adaptive Cruise Control > Set Speed Limit (off, on, with tolerance)

For example, if I'm cruising at 70 in a 65mph zone and the speed limit changes to 55, the cruise resets itself to exactly 55, not 60 (+5) or 59 (+7%). It seems to behave this was whether the option is set to "with tolerance" or "on".

Anybody else experience this?
They way you have laid out is the logical way to work. However, tolerance means that the cruise control won't do everything possible to keep the speed at 65 mph, e.g.. In other words, with tolerance in certain conditions it may let it go up to 67 and down to 63 in order to be more efficient.

I sure wish there was a way to do what you are saying.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by baltfan
They way you have laid out is the logical way to work. However, tolerance means that the cruise control won't do everything possible to keep the speed at 65 mph, e.g.. In other words, with tolerance in certain conditions it may let it go up to 67 and down to 63 in order to be more efficient.

I sure wish there was a way to do what you are saying.
That makes total sense. I guess I'll just turn it off then, since it's pretty annoying for it to reduce all the way down to the speed limit rather than something like 5 over.

Part of the confusion (in my mind anyway) may have stemmed from the other setting where you can set the speed limit warning to +0, +3, +5 or +10. Sure wish the ACC speed limit had that option.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

That makes total sense. I guess I'll just turn it off then, since it's pretty annoying for it to reduce all the way down to the speed limit rather than something like 5 over.

Part of the confusion (in my mind anyway) may have stemmed from the other setting where you can set the speed limit warning to +0, +3, +5 or +10. Sure wish the ACC speed limit had that option.
It is stuff like this that always makes me wonder about car testing. I think the Q7 is one of the best though-out cars that I have ever driven. It is very intuitive and almost everything works as I would expect. But there are still simple things like this that I can't believe no one thought of.

Another thing is a simple shortcut to Apple Music. Perhaps holding a certain button down.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by baltfan
Another thing is a simple shortcut to Apple Music. Perhaps holding a certain button down.
Since you brought up Apple Music, I have found this kind of inconvenient too. I like the MMI display much better than Car Play for music, so I have to go to the Connection Manager menu to disable car play if I've been using it to play podcasts (which I prefer it for).

Speaking of shortcuts, the manual says that you should be able to program Nav destinations and Phone numbers into the preset buttons, but so far, I've only been able to get it to accept radio stations.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

The best I can tell, our 2017 Q7 Prestige does not come equipped with ACC. Am I wrong?

My '13 S8 has ACC, which makes me quite familiar with the system.

The new Q7 does not have a "set distance" roller or toggle on the cruise control stalk. In the MMI, Pre-Sense is available, but not ACC.

Have I been hoodwinked?
Old 04-25-2016, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ferrari27
The best I can tell, our 2017 Q7 Prestige does not come equipped with ACC. Am I wrong?

The new Q7 does not have a "set distance" roller or toggle on the cruise control stalk. In the MMI, Pre-Sense is available, but not ACC.

Have I been hoodwinked?
Well, I can't speak to your having been hoodwinked. But the Order Guide (attached) clearly shows that ACC is part of the $2,400 Driver Assistance Package which is optional, not standard, on Prestige. If you expressed an interest in ACC, your dealer should have pointed this out to you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Order Guide Feb 2016.pdf (68.6 KB, 192 views)
Old 04-25-2016, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have I been hoodwinked?
I was thinking that the Prestige came standard with Adaptive Cruise but in looking at the online build function again, I remembered that if you don't get the Driver Assistance Package option, you don't get ACC or traffic sign recognition or high beam assistant.
If you do have that package - the distance control switch is no longer on top of the cruise control lever - it's a toggle switch on the face of the lever.

Last edited by Cadx6; 04-25-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Missing Driver Assistance Package

Well, I can't speak to your having been hoodwinked. But the Order Guide (attached) clearly shows that ACC is part of the $2,400 Driver Assistance Package which is optional, not standard, on Prestige. If you expressed an interest in ACC, your dealer should have pointed this out to you.
You are correct, of course. I am just getting around to going through the owner's manual and learning the difference between the MMI on the Q7 and the MMI on our '13 S8.

We ordered the 21"wheels with non-run flats. The car came with the 20" wheels and run-flats. I think that lengthy discussion/negotiation with the dealer distracted me from being more careful.

As I examine the original order sheet that was confirmed as accepted, I find the PCU for the Driver Assistance Package is present, but PCU is not on the window sticker or the car.

Serious discussion with the dealer to follow. Not happy, here.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You are correct, of course. I am just getting around to going through the owner's manual and learning the difference between the MMI on the Q7 and the MMI on our '13 S8.

We ordered the 21"wheels with non-run flats. The car came with the 20" wheels and run-flats. I think that lengthy discussion/negotiation with the dealer distracted me from being more careful.

As I examine the original order sheet that was confirmed as accepted, I find the PCU for the Driver Assistance Package is present, but PCU is not on the window sticker or the car.

Serious discussion with the dealer to follow. Not happy, here.
I had a similar problem ordering a Volvo a few years back. Something changed and the salesperson made an assumption about what I wanted, rather than asking, even though our discussions had clearly indicated the opposite. Fortunately, a good sales manager made it right. But now I am very careful to ask the sales manager to let me deal with his/her salesperson that has the most attention to detail and is the best listener.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise: Set Speed Limit with Tolerance