Added a hitch-mounted "step" for some extra bumper protection - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Audi Q7 > Q7 MKII Discussion
Reload this Page > Added a hitch-mounted "step" for some extra bumper protection
Notices
Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Added a hitch-mounted "step" for some extra bumper protection

Old 07-06-2016, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Added a hitch-mounted "step" for some extra bumper protection

A solid 15 lb chunk of metal I got from Amazon called a "Beaver Step"

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004K23KQ0

Actually works well as a step to access the trunk or perhaps a roof box, but I got it more as defense from how some idiots park in a big city like where I live and work. This thing will really F up someone's bumper or grille if they decide to use the bumper-kiss technique when parallel parking behind me.

There are many products like this, but after trying a few, this looks as stealthy as an 18" wide chunk of metal can be, has a thin sleek truss shape, can be used as a tow hook (if I ever have to pull someone off a ditch), and best of all, it does not interfere with the rear parking sensors at all. I think it's a keeper. I just need to remember it's there when I approach the trunk when loading stuff so I don't whack it with my shin. I will likely forget a few times, and it's going to hurt lol.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow, I like it! Perfect for when I visit NYC on business and park on the street or let a valet park it in a garage.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would think the WeatherTech version would work better, and looks better IMO.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Force-1 View Post
I had the weathertech version and took it off after a day because it rattled in the receiver, which drove me crazy. Wound up putting it on the Ram 1500 crewcab, where it actually fit snugly and did not rattle at all...I did see in the Amazon reviews that this particular step had a lot of complaints about rattles as well.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Force-1 View Post
I had the weathertech version. It does not look better IMO. It's a big block of plastic and sticks out more when viewed from the rear. I had the weathertech hitch step mounted on my '12 Escalade and it lasted about 6 months until someone actually hit it while parallel parking and it shattered! Not very durable at all, which was expected since it's just plastic. Worked well as a step though, and only as a "one use" bumper protection. This beaver step I have is all solid metal... it seems like it will F up someone's bumper without sacrificing itself and is less noticeable when viewed from the rear.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by termite View Post
I had the weathertech version and took it off after a day because it rattled in the receiver, which drove me crazy. Wound up putting it on the Ram 1500 crewcab, where it actually fit snugly and did not rattle at all...I did see in the Amazon reviews that this particular step had a lot of complaints about rattles as well.
Nothing that wrapping with some electrical tape or duct tape before inserting into the receiver wouldn't fix.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by larryV View Post
I had the weathertech version. It does not look better IMO. It's a big block of plastic and sticks out more when viewed from the rear. I had the weathertech hitch step mounted on my '12 Escalade and it lasted about 6 months until someone actually hit it while parallel parking and it shattered! Not very durable at all, which was expected since it's just plastic. Worked well as a step though, and only as a "one use" bumper protection. This beaver step I have is all solid metal... it seems like it will F up someone's bumper without sacrificing itself and is less noticeable when viewed from the rear.
My only concern would be since the beaver step is so narrow a vehicle could ride up over (or under) it, depending on the vehicle.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone tried the
Bully step Bully step
?

My goal is to protect my car when parked at a valet garage (frequent) or on the street (infrequent), not to F up the other car. IMO the Beaver step has a tactical, weaponlike look that I am not going for. I'd also like to not magnify the damage too much if the person driving my car makes a mistake and nudges another one.

I was looking at the Weathertech but there are a lot of reviews saying it's flimsy and rattles. The Bully looks like it might be a good compromise.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is awesome! Never thought of using one of those... Might need to grab a few.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had the Weathertech until the shins couldn't take it anymore, it seems like some of the alternatives shown in this thread are even more viscous.