Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Added a hitch-mounted "step" for some extra bumper protection

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by javp1
i agree that this thingy is too aggressive and if my bumper get dented by this thingy (my fault or not) I will definately key the other car like hell
WOW, I'd never have expected a childish and ignorant statement like that, key somebody's car! If you have a problem with something that you think it's the fault of a owner of a vehicle you should talk to the owner, not key the car, so immature, I'm shocked!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe everyone is being too hard on this poster. Saying you will key a car could just be poor word choice, and maybe the post was written as a reflection of the scale of his anger rather than a statement to be taken literally.

As I said before, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if someone did something very bad to a car if they hit the "step" pictured in this thread. A black step that low to the ground is going to be hard to see at night if someone is pulling behind you into a parallel parking spot. These days people have no respect for property or personal space. Walking in London, someone tried to rip my wife's engagement ring off her finger. At the Reagan airport last week, I sat in line waiting for a lady to stop yelling at an American Airlines ticket person because she got to the airport early, got a standby seat on an earlier flight, didn't check in on that earlier flight for whatever reason, and then wanted to get back on the original flight but there was "no space" because her seat got assigned to another person. She actually was on the agent side of the podium, camping out, fuming and jamming the line.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

A Normal trailer hitch could be much larger, easier to hit and do much more damage to a vehicle getting hit by it, is that reason enough to attack the vehicle if you smack into it while trying to park? Parking sensors wouldn't let you get nowhere near close enough to this to hit it.

If it looks threatening then perhaps you should make sure you dont hit it? This is only hard to see if your head is 16in off the ground.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are at least 2 reasons to have a trailer hitch -- to tow something or install some kind of "step" as protection.

In this tread, this is so called "protection". One thing I suggested earlier is there are other solutions that are less harmful to others car while protecting your car.

Not all cars have camera or sensors, or have good visibility under the dark or heavy rain, or sensors that always work properly, or camera that always show things clearly. Just like the new Q7...how many times the sensors have given false alarm? And if you are driving a car with low suspensions, you may not see this step at all.

If you have this step installed and unintentionally bumped into someone's and made a hole, would you stay or leave your contact number so you can pay for the damage? I would say 50/50 if one is being honest. While if you have other types of "step" for the purpose of protection, for instant, a WeatherTech bumper step, or even any portable bumper protection soft covers, the damage would be close to nothing under the normal parking speed.

If you unintentionally bumped to someone's who had this step installed, would you be not angry and be happy enough to stay and wait for the other driver to show up, so that you can apologize and pay for the damage of a scratch/hairline on the step, while your car is damaged with a hole?

I would forgive if I hit someone's car with a regular tow hitch because most likely it is used for towing purpose. Nevertheless, I would be so pissed if I see a hole on my bumper created by this step, which is installed in order to damage other's car. I would rather be an a**hole or douche or immature...

This is a product simply brings anger to others no matter getting bumped or bumping into someone's.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

I have a
Hitch Safe Hitch Safe
installed in my receiver.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently illegal in at least 4 states but definitely something that may prevent back bumper damage.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-11-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello every body,

I have got this option :

Take a look and let me know.

Faithfully
Alexandre ROMERO
Old 12-11-2017, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by alromero
Hello every body,

I have got this option : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQq9nD9Law&t=50s

Take a look and let me know.

Faithfully
Alexandre ROMERO
That thing is definitely not going to work - at least not for for me. Too much of a hassle to get it deployed and even more hassle to get it folded back for storage in the trunk. Thinking about Minnesota winter conditions in particular - with snow, ice, salt and sand mix from the road all over the thing. I gave some thought about buying a different product, but did not get it yet so cannot attest how well it works:
Amazon Amazon