Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Aftermarket trailer hitch now available

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket trailer hitch now available

Last week, etrailer.com just began selling an aftermarket trailer hitch for the 2017 Q7.

I've been looking for a solution other than the super-high-priced factory hitch and stumbled upon this one just a few hours after it was released.

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2017_Audi_Q7.htm

Here are the instructions:
http://www.draw-tite.com/support/ins...ion/N76076.pdf

I ordered it and installed it yesterday. It's not a job for the faint of heart because it requires removing the entire rear bumper cover and the bumper beam. The hitch gets sandwiched between the bumper beam and the chassis. I've done other projects like this in the past, so I was willing to take it on. It took me a total of about 3 hours from start to finish.

A small section of the fascia needs to be cut and I did that with an air cutoff wheel. The instructions mention using tin snips, but I didn't find them to work well. The cut-off wheel worked great and I did final trimming with a dremel grinding wheel since I had to relieve the fascia a bit more than the instructions mentioned, I was able to do the final sizing after the bumper cover was back in place.

All in all, it was a straightforward job, but you'll want to be really careful in removing and supporting the bumper cover as it's really easy to scratch or damage it or the wiring harness that is attached to it. I was able to prop it up with boxes so that I did not have to separate the harness from the bumper cover.

We're just using it with a hitch-mounted bike rack, so I did not look into the options for wiring a

harness.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Nice work. Your post is a PSA to spend $550 on the hitch when the car is ordered.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I would gladly pay the $550 to get the hitch and wiring from the factory. Unfortunately, the one we purchased didn't have it.

Buying the factory hitch as an accessory is hyper-expensive. The best price on the factory hitch (not installed) that I saw was $840 and I believe it may require a new lower diffuser too. And the bumper cover still has to come off.

This install went perfectly, but there is potential to damage things if you're not careful in removing the bumper cover. After I completed everything, I saw that eTrailer rated this hitch as a 10 out of 10 on Installation Difficulty.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wish I would have ordered the hitch as well. Plan to put on an invisihitch before next spring, thanks for the DIY photos. Any other pics/comments on how to detach the bumper safely?
Old 07-09-2016, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The instruction are pretty descriptive with great photos that you can enlarge on your computer or tablet.

All I can say on removing the bumper cover is to proceed carefully. You don't have to pry or pull things hard.

I did not fully remove the wheel well trim. I just released enough fasteners to pull the rearward side out enough to get small ratchet behind it.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The only word of caution I would give if you plan to DIY or someone other than the dealer is to research your options if you have the hands free tailgate operation. The sensor is built into the entire lower valance in a loop fashion in models without the hitch. The cutout version has two loops, one on each side of the hitch cutout.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drkknte
The only word of caution I would give if you plan to DIY or someone other than the dealer is to research your options if you have the hands free tailgate operation. The sensor is built into the entire lower valance in a loop fashion in models without the hitch. The cutout version has two loops, one on each side of the hitch cutout.
Thanks for the heads up on that.

My dealer has looked into post-delivery hitch install and said there is no Audi-approved option for installing a hitch (at this time) so I'd need to use a third party for the install if I don't DIY.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcook
Thanks for the heads up on that.

My dealer has looked into post-delivery hitch install and said there is no Audi-approved option for installing a hitch (at this time) so I'd need to use a third party for the install if I don't DIY.
Not sure that's true as I had a post delivery install. It took a day to complete as they have to recalibrate the rear sensors too.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by drkknte
Not sure that's true as I had a post delivery install. It took a day to complete as they have to recalibrate the rear sensors too.
Could you PM with the details of which hitch was installed and contact info for your dealer so I can follow up with them for info for my dealer? And if you don't mind, what the cost was?
Old 08-27-2016, 04:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would be curious about this info as well. Just was informed that my ordered vehicle is not due to arrive until Feb/March (8 months!), so I am going to try and find something in inventory - which may not have a tow hitch.

Originally Posted by jjcook
Could you PM with the details of which hitch was installed and contact info for your dealer so I can follow up with them for info for my dealer? And if you don't mind, what the cost was?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket trailer hitch now available