Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

air suspension longevity

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air suspension longevity

so i have air suspension and its fantastic. but i hear it is very expensive to fix when it does break down. so my question is...how fragile is air suspension and is there anything that can be done to make sure that it does not break down. i am constantly changing drive modes daily....can this be bad for the longevity?
Old 06-29-2017, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

just make sure you put it in jack mode when changing tires, or anything like that.. If it errors out and stops working dont keep ****ing with it and get a diagnostic tool plugged in asap.. Otherwise you risk burning it out trying to pump it up when it dont want too.

they are not fragile, even if you put it in one mode and leave it there its still pumping/venting air as you take corners to reduce body roll.. so you fidgeting back and forth between settings isint causing additional wear/tear, otherwise whats the point of riding on air?

Common issues with modern air suspension are usually level sensors or valves getting stuck; both are cheap and easy to fix.. The pump wont run indefinitely anymore like early allroads, if you have a leak the pump should shutdown instead of running at 100% duty until its dead.. They have also made the air shocks more modular so if a component fails you dont necessarily have to replace the entire thing.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 06-29-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

good to hear....loving the air .... best option to get ...
Old 06-29-2017, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Gani
good to hear....loving the air .... best option to get ...
+1 I had premium plus with standard suspension as loaner for couple of weeks, which is good but man the air suspension with 4 wheel steering make the ride so much better.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish I knew first hand. I read and watched a lot of reviews. Some people said that. Others said that steel springs were equal to the middle setting of the air suspension. My friend has air suspension that came free on his Jeep. He said he never gave it a thought, doesn't adjust it, and no big deal. I think the more you pay for something, the more you cherish it. Since it cost nothing on his Jeep, he didn't seem to care about it.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
I wish I knew first hand. I read and watched a lot of reviews. Some people said that. Others said that steel springs were equal to the middle setting of the air suspension. My friend has air suspension that came free on his Jeep. He said he never gave it a thought, doesn't adjust it, and no big deal. I think the more you pay for something, the more you cherish it. Since it cost nothing on his Jeep, he didn't seem to care about it.
With Jeep your mind is busy with a lot of other things, inputs, sounds you have to deal with to stay on the road So no time left to analyze how the "air suspension" feels...