Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Album Art Missing via Bluetooth

Old 09-15-2016, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Album Art Missing via Bluetooth

Did a quick search and couldn't find an answer to this question:

When using Rhapsody on my iPhone and streaming to MMI via bluetooth connection, I don't see any of the album art appear on the screen (just the genre placeholder graphics). However, when I use Rhapsody and connect via the USB cable, the album art does appear. Strangely, the album art does appear for Pandora when streaming via Bluetooth. Anyone know what's going on here?

Nick
Old 09-15-2016, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Perhaps the album art limitation is just due the Rhapsody app's implementation when streaming via bluetooth... that something gets mysteriously lost in (digital) translation somehow.

Spotify via bluetooth shows album art for me.

Another possibility: keep in mind that album art on the Q7 is based on gracenote music recognition software and access to their database via Audi connect when a device is streaming music via USB connection. Maybe that explains things too? My guess is that the Rhapsody app doesn't send album art info to the MMI when streaming via bluetooth but when connected via USB, the MMI's ability to pull album art from the gracenote database becomes active, which explains why you get album art that way. I could be wrong.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Album art and the "now playing" of something as basic as the song title seems to be very inconsistent with Apple Music via bluetooth (not using Apple car play). It gets even stranger as I can search for an album by a single artist, play the album and while the first song may come up on my screen w the proper song title and the album art, the next song or many songs will not show the art or even the song currently playing. Just shows a list of all the songs on the album (see pic below, it's currently playing a song far down the list). It plays all songs but no visual indication as to what song is currently playing on the main Main MMI screen. Interestingly it will show the song playing over in the virtual cockpit. I don't get it at all. Anyone have more insight, would love to hear your thoughts.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Album art and the "now playing" of something as basic as the song title seems to be very inconsistent with Apple Music via bluetooth (not using Apple car play). It gets even stranger as I can search for an album by a single artist, play the album and while the first song may come up on my screen w the proper song title and the album art, the next song or many songs will not show the art or even the song currently playing. Just shows a list of all the songs on the album (see pic below, it's currently playing a song far down the list). It plays all songs but no visual indication as to what song is currently playing on the main Main MMI screen. Interestingly it will show the song playing over in the virtual cockpit. I don't get it at all. Anyone have more insight, would love to hear your thoughts.
I've seen these glitches (song playing not song shown in list, list empty except for the song that's playing) when playing from the Apple Music app over Bluetooth. They are usually fixed by force quitting and restarting the Apple Music app on the phone. It doesn't happen very often, but I've not been able to pin down any specific circumstances that cause it.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread. I had a loaner A5 (side note: was impressed with the 2.0T power) and streaming Spotify showed the album art automatically. I get my 2018 Q7 back and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to make album art show while streaming via bluetooth. Are there any tricks to this? Has anyone had luck showing album/cover art while streaming Spotify via bluetooth?
Old 09-26-2018, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meyecul

The Lemonheads COOL!
Old 01-12-2019, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cltsig
Resurrecting an old thread. I had a loaner A5 (side note: was impressed with the 2.0T power) and streaming Spotify showed the album art automatically. I get my 2018 Q7 back and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to make album art show while streaming via bluetooth. Are there any tricks to this? Has anyone had luck showing album/cover art while streaming Spotify via bluetooth?
When playing a song via Bluetooth hit the “+” button. Scroll down to “Show Now Playing Screen”. Should work.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Resurrecting this old thread...is there no way to have the Q7 pull album art from the actual files on your device? I've spent a fair amount of time setting album art in iTunes because I like to have the art from the original album (for older songs and ones that have been on many compilation albums) but what I see in the Q7 only matches sometimes. It's very inconsistent. Like recently I updated the album art for some Christmas music and some of them show up in the Q7 (whereas they didn't before I updated them in iTunes) and some don't.