Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Alignment Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
Here's what I don't understand about alignment as it relates to DAP. If the alignment was correct when the vehicle was brand new and the DAP sensors where calibrated for that, when you bring the alignment back to spec, why would the DAP sensors need to be recalibrated? They should still be calibrated for the correct alignment, which is where you will be when the alignment process is done. Doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing?
I think the answer lies in the fact that changing alignment alters the thrust angle of the vehicle. You'll have to Google thrust angle for a full explanation but it essentially defines where the vehicle is pointed with respect to the center lines of the axles. The cameras need to look in this direction hence the need to realign them along with the wheels. If there was only one perfect alignment the factory wouldn't provide adjustments. My .02.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Jistel
I think the answer lies in the fact that changing alignment alters the thrust angle of the vehicle. You'll have to Google thrust angle for a full explanation but it essentially defines where the vehicle is pointed with respect to the center lines of the axles. The cameras need to look in this direction hence the need to realign them along with the wheels. If there was only one perfect alignment the factory wouldn't provide adjustments. My .02.
Yes, if the thrust angle changes, but generally the alignment would try to get it to zero, so the car's center line is pointing straight ahead. There are also tolerances as with everything, so as long as you stay within the tolerances it should be fine. I have heard that Audi only calls for aligning the sensors if the rear toe gets changed, which is what influences the thrust angle, but even so, the RL toe was out of spec last time I did the alignment and they didn't push for aligning the sensors. My thrust angle is zero now and the toe is in spec again.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Find out what they are proposing to do for $450. I'm guessing they want to at least charge you for aligning the DAP sensors, but insist on only doing a mechanical alignment. If the alignment is brought back to factory spec and you don't have any aftermarket suspension modifications and the sensors themselves weren't knocked out of alignment, then a normal mechanical alignment is all you need in my experience. I don't have a Q7, but I have an RS5 with DAP. Granted, I only have the side assist and front radar sensors, but still. I just had a mechanical alignment done not too long ago and it was like $140 at the dealership. I did have bad experiences outside the dealership. My wife's car was aligned at Big-O-Tires after a minor collision and it drove like crap afterwards. Had to have it redone at my indy shop. But the same indy shop struggled in the past aligning my RS5. One thing that needs to be done after an alignment is resetting the steering. My indy shop tried to do that with a laptop and vagcom, but I'm guess they didn't do it right. I have the optional Dynamic Steering. The car never drove quite right after the alignment, so I had the dealership redo it and that fixed everything. Since then, I only take my RS5 to the dealership for alignment and as I said so far no DAP sensor alignment was ever necessary. I would just do the mechanical alignment and then if you are having any issues with DAP, then you can take it back and get the sensors alignment. Chances are everything will be fine after the mechanical alignment.
Do not believe any Audi dealers will do an alignment on a 2017 Q7 with DAP without calibrating least some of the sensors or perhaps its just different at different dealerships. It's my understanding an all or nothing kind of thing as there are just too many systems on this particular vehicle that rely on it. There have been discussions before on the process taking over 6 hours. My guess is if the OP was quoted $450 for an alignment at the dealer, they are not taking into account that he / she has DAP or perhaps a partical calibration is in there. The rate for a full alignment and full calibration job on 2017 Q7 is over $1k sans any discount pull you may be able to get.

Last edited by Meyecul; 12-07-2017 at 01:07 PM.