Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

All wheel steering setting in drive select

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All wheel steering setting in drive select

I use individual mode in drive select. There is an item called all wheel steering, but the description in the manual is rather vague. Does anyone know exactly what difference is between comfort, auto, and dynamic?

Does dynamic mean the rear wheel steering happens more aggressively at less than highway speed, so that cornering stability improves at e.g. 40 mph?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comfort mode usually turns any options off like all wheel steering. I could be wrong, but the same is true for my cars sport differential in comfort mode. Dynamic likely makes it more aggressive to use vs auto. You can always enable it and try the setting on the same turn a few times to see what if any changes there are.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. Basically I'd like to know the pros and cons of setting it to 'dynamic' vs. 'auto'.

Regarding experimenting with different settings, it may not be very easy to see the difference, and I was hoping someone has already done.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why would they turn off all wheel steering? especially in comfort mode. it would make the drive less comfy.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I havnt read anything indicating 4 wheel steering is effected at all by the drive mode.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
I havnt read anything indicating 4 wheel steering is effected at all by the drive mode.
Pg 130 in the Owner's Manual has a table that includes the adjustments that are made for the different drive modes. The table includes all wheel steering as one of the system that changes but only quantifies the changes a "comfortable, balanced and sporty". It doesn't say what these translate into for actual changes in the system though. Would be nice to know.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Not a lot of information is available how precisely drive modes affect rear steering, however here's a quick excerpt from the MotorAuthority article:

"Victor Underberg, the head of chassis dynamics at Audi AG, rode along with us for an hour or so, and he helped us understand how the all-wheel steering works in the Q7.
According to Underberg, there are some serious differences in the behavior of the rear wheels between the Q7’s Drive Select modes (Comfort, Dynamic, Auto, and Individual, as well as Off-Road in some situations). The Q7’s Dynamic Mode not only reduces the maximum angle of the rear wheels in tight cornering but changes the entire way the system works in quick maneuvers and nearer to the limit."

If you like you can read entire article here: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...teering/page-3
Old 11-27-2017, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I wish Audi did better explaining these modes
Old 11-27-2017, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gsobol
Not a lot of information is available how precisely drive modes affect rear steering, however here's a quick excerpt from the MotorAuthority article:

"Victor Underberg, the head of chassis dynamics at Audi AG, rode along with us for an hour or so, and he helped us understand how the all-wheel steering works in the Q7.
According to Underberg, there are some serious differences in the behavior of the rear wheels between the Q7’s Drive Select modes (Comfort, Dynamic, Auto, and Individual, as well as Off-Road in some situations). The Q7’s Dynamic Mode not only reduces the maximum angle of the rear wheels in tight cornering but changes the entire way the system works in quick maneuvers and nearer to the limit."

If you like you can read entire article here: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...teering/page-3
Thanks for the link! I've read this article in the past, but wasn't able to find it again. That appears to be the most detailed info available online, although still rather vague and seems to have a typo ("reduces the maximum angle" should be "increases the maximum angle").
Old 11-28-2017, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jcolinzheng
Thanks for the link! I've read this article in the past, but wasn't able to find it again. That appears to be the most detailed info available online, although still rather vague and seems to have a typo ("reduces the maximum angle" should be "increases the maximum angle").
Well, considering that we don't have access to any literature that would explain precisely what's going one, we really can't say if it's a typo or not....