Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Ambient Lighting retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ambient Lighting retrofit

So my Q7 unfortunately didn't come very the cool looking Ambient Lighting package. Solution - retrofit it! I had to purchase a different centre console trim with the led strip. Door trims were easy as I already had exit warning led strips so just had to buy led modules and fit them to exit warning system. I have wired these directly into 12v led that only comes on with the headlights. As a result of doing this way I don't have the full multi colour system - I have red only as the led globes I used were red but you can just change the globes for another colour. If you want the multi colour system you need modules etc and coding which would be a lot of work. Finally got every installed today and wired up. Next I will do the same to the air vents but this is not so easy so will be a job for another day!

Old 03-23-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Retrofitted the next part today - the dash main air vent. Will do drivers side vent on weekend.

Last edited by bjc2974; 03-23-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! It looks very cool. And what did you add outside? I bought headlights for my car on this site https://www.uzooka.com/audi-headlights/. And thank you for the photo and story. I will wait for the continuation.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought headlights for my car on this site https://www.uzooka.com/audi-headlights/. And thank you for the photo and story. I will wait for the continuation.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice Work!
Old 01-19-2019, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

holy ****. for the amount of time and effort you poured into this car, might as well gotten everything in it to begin with. this, new wheels, RES, taillights, virtual cockpit...I checked all the boxes on my S5sb and the wifey got everything she wanted in our Q7 and we're not tearing everything and spending weekends putting stuff together. We're using that time on the road and making memories. But I get you! I used to have an RX8 that I would toil around in the garage and I occasionally dabble on the A4, but I guess I'm getting to old for that. Time to enjoy the drive, not the garage.

looks good though, keep on that project list!
Old 01-19-2019, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool! I’m in same boat. We got everything on our Q7 except titanium lug nuts and the exclusive leather interior, but I still find myself adding things that other Audi’s have...sunglasses holders, lighted usb AMI, remote start, blackline tails with dynamic signal lights and coming up is door pocket lights and wireless charging!
Old 05-05-2019, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Very nice work! Which LED modules did you purchase? Also can you explain/show how you wired the LED modules? I've seen people do a few different ways but I would like to keep it clean so if necessary you could just swap the LED module without having to also undo all the wiring.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Hello, What partnumber i need to do the same for retrofit ambient light? Thx!

Originally Posted by bjc2974
So my Q7 unfortunately didn't come very the cool looking Ambient Lighting package. Solution - retrofit it! I had to purchase a different centre console trim with the led strip. Door trims were easy as I already had exit warning led strips so just had to buy led modules and fit them to exit warning system. I have wired these directly into 12v led that only comes on with the headlights. As a result of doing this way I don't have the full multi colour system - I have red only as the led globes I used were red but you can just change the globes for another colour. If you want the multi colour system you need modules etc and coding which would be a lot of work. Finally got every installed today and wired up. Next I will do the same to the air vents but this is not so easy so will be a job for another day!

Hello, What partnumber i need to do the same for retrofit ambient light? Thx!