Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Is "Android Auto" useful?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
I know Android Auto, ah, very well .... happy to answer any questions about it.
Can you get the text messaging to go via Google Voice and not your cell number?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by hitchens97
Can you get the text messaging to go via Google Voice and not your cell number?
Google Voice isn't properly supported by Android Auto right now .... You can do one of two options, use Hangouts to receive your text messages -- or you can use the Google Voice app to do so. The Google Voice app doesn't work properly with Android Auto, but you will receive the messages also through the phone's default SMS app. Replying to a Voice message via Hangouts *will* reply from your GV number, but the other way through the text message app won't.

Right now you cannot use the Assistant via AA to send a message via text and have it use the Google Voice number as the sender address. The team does know about this bug.....
Old 11-11-2017, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Scoopman, I am having problems with Tune In getting stuck after I get back in the car, so it sounds like there is a miscommunication or lack of resume (it gets confusing, and stops playback, says "buffering" forever). When I first start driving, it works fine, no problems at all. Once I get out of the car, and get back, it misbehaves.
Also, at this point, it causes it to crash so bad on my phone I can't even end the application easily. I have to force close it. Is there a known bug with Tune In on 6.0.1 or is there something else I can try.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Hi Scoopman, I am having problems with Tune In getting stuck after I get back in the car, so it sounds like there is a miscommunication or lack of resume (it gets confusing, and stops playback, says "buffering" forever). When I first start driving, it works fine, no problems at all. Once I get out of the car, and get back, it misbehaves.
Also, at this point, it causes it to crash so bad on my phone I can't even end the application easily. I have to force close it. Is there a known bug with Tune In on 6.0.1 or is there something else I can try.
Sounds like a TuneIn bug .... I generally don't use TuneIn, but can see if I see the same thing. I bet there are other apps you can find that won't misbehave (go visit http://g.co/AndroidAuto in a browser on your phone or computer to see all of the apps the Play Store thinks are pretty good for Android Auto). If you go to TuneIn's listing in the Play Store, then click on "READ MORE" you can find the support email address for the developer to yell at them to fix the problem :-)
Old 11-13-2017, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Scoopman, I'll try other apps, it's just that I've been using tuneIn for many years and it has vast number of stations around the country. Most of those stations have their own apps but not available in AA or in other consolidated streamers.
I'll check if MyTuner has similar selection and give that a try.

Last edited by hayde_bre; 11-13-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi Scoopman, is there anyway to prevent MMI AM/FM Radio from turning on while Android Auto is buffering or while changing stations? Is this a bug, or is there a way to go around this?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi Scoopman, is there anyway to prevent MMI AM/FM Radio from turning on while Android Auto is buffering or while changing stations? Is this a bug, or is there a way to go around this?
Hmmmm, I'm not sure what you are describing. I don't have anything like this happen on my S5. I know it might be difficult to do (you need another phone) but could you take a short video of what's going on to help?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
Hmmmm, I'm not sure what you are describing. I don't have anything like this happen on my S5. I know it might be difficult to do (you need another phone) but could you take a short video of what's going on to help?
Sure, I'll try tomorrow.
When I am listening to a station on TuneIn Radio, if I change channels (or hit next in favorites) it stops playback, switches stations and starts buffering. Sometimes (I don't know what triggers it) I hear the FM Radio in the channel I was last listening to, until it completes buffering, then it starts streaming.
It also happens when I hit the stop button in Tune In. Instead of just going silent and staying in AA audio input, I hear the FM radio. This sounds like a normal operation, but it should not be doing that if the app is loading/working/buffering, etc.

Same thing happened with "MyTuner Radio" app as well. Will try to replicate when I get back to my Q7.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sure, I'll try tomorrow.
When I am listening to a station on TuneIn Radio, if I change channels (or hit next in favorites) it stops playback, switches stations and starts buffering. Sometimes (I don't know what triggers it) I hear the FM Radio in the channel I was last listening to, until it completes buffering, then it starts streaming.
It also happens when I hit the stop button in Tune In. Instead of just going silent and staying in AA audio input, I hear the FM radio. This sounds like a normal operation, but it should not be doing that if the app is loading/working/buffering, etc.

Same thing happened with "MyTuner Radio" app as well. Will try to replicate when I get back to my Q7.
That sounds like a bug. Let me see if I can repro that.

Questions:
Only happening for you with TuneIn?
Is the MMI's audio source you last used before you switched to AA's audio the FM radio? (eg if you had selected Sirius then plugged your phone in, would you hear Sirius instead of FM when TuneIn is buffering?)
Old 11-16-2017, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Scoopman, I'll try other apps, it's just that I've been using tuneIn for many years and it has vast number of stations around the country. Most of those stations have their own apps but not available in AA or in other consolidated streamers.
I'll check if MyTuner has similar selection and give that a try.
I played with TuneIn some more tonight and I still couldn't get it to repro what you have described. Perhaps your data connection is very slow (I was doing this in my garage with strong wifi)?

Quick Reply: Is "Android Auto" useful?