Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

annoying sound when I accelerate from stop

Old 07-12-2019, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default annoying sound when I accelerate from stop

After picking up my used 19 Q7 prestige a few weeks ago I began to notice this sound whenever I would accelerate slowly from a complete stop. I took it to my local Audi dealer and they had a two guys road test it. Both said it was normal. Only problem is they put me in a 2019 Q7 prestige loaner and it didn't make the sound at all. So that leads me to believe there is an issue. Their solution is for me to monitor the noise and if it continues or gets louder come back. Honestly I have no idea what it is. Would it make sense to take it to another Audi dealer and see if they can diagnose it? Do people do that? Ive been fairly happy with my local dealer but stuff like this bugs me when its obvious there is an issue and they have no clue what it is.

I guess that leads me to question 2. Whats the best audi dealer for service in the Philly area? Im taking it to Audi Warrington (used to be Holberts). Anyone in this Philly area have any good experiences?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Meg007 (06-01-2021)
Old 07-12-2019, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you hear a blowing, hooting sound from driver vent?
And it only happens when rev above 2000+ rpm?
Old 07-12-2019, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I have this problem! Just started this week at 1,500 miles. I’m pretty irritated. It’s like a mechanical grind/squeak upon takeoff. Got it on video.
Meg007 (06-01-2021)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Video?
Old 07-13-2019, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Can you describe the noise?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sickk23
I have this problem! Just started this week at 1,500 miles. I’m pretty irritated. It’s like a mechanical grind/squeak upon takeoff. Got it on video.
dealer claims its normal and part of the turbo system. Im not buying that.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My started to have that noise after they replaced the steering shaft. Is it like a Whistle blowing kind of noise when under medium throttle around 2000-3000 rpm?
Old 07-14-2019, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PARealtor
dealer claims its normal and part of the turbo system. Im not buying that.
Yikes. If we have the same issue, no way it’s normal. This new sound is horrendous.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok... Ive had the Q7 for over a month now and its still there. The noise occurs only in "normal drive" mode. In sport it goes away.

The sound occurs under normal acceleration from a dead stop. Happens almost every time so I have no idea how the dealer can not hear it. To me it almost sounds like something needs lubrication. At first I thought it was the brakes sticking but that wasn't it. Then I thought it may have something to do with the steering but not it.

Its not loud but it is noticeable in the cabin even with the radio on. Im going to take it back to the dealer and if they can't figure it out bring it to another dealer.

does the 2019 Q7 prestige come with any type of blow off valve. Could that be sticking open?
Meg007 (06-01-2021)
Old 08-15-2019, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PARealtor
Ok... Ive had the Q7 for over a month now and its still there. The noise occurs only in "normal drive" mode. In sport it goes away.

The sound occurs under normal acceleration from a dead stop. Happens almost every time so I have no idea how the dealer can not hear it. To me it almost sounds like something needs lubrication. At first I thought it was the brakes sticking but that wasn't it. Then I thought it may have something to do with the steering but not it.

Its not loud but it is noticeable in the cabin even with the radio on. Im going to take it back to the dealer and if they can't figure it out bring it to another dealer.

does the 2019 Q7 prestige come with any type of blow off valve. Could that be sticking open?
Sound like it could be the Supercharger clutch... when at idle (and cruising on the highway) the Supercharger will disengage. When you're accelerating from a stop, the supercharger will engage a second or two after you get rolling (depends on how hard you're accelerating) If you switch to sport mode, the supercharger either doesn't disengage at stop or engages the second you're on the throttle (in my experience)... try revving the engine at idle (while in park) You'll hear the supercharger engage (mine will sometimes chirp while engaging) When the engine is cold (and ambient is lower) there is a definite howling until the SC warms up...
Meg007 (06-01-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: annoying sound when I accelerate from stop