Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Another deletion on 2019s

 
Old 06-10-2019, 06:42 AM
  #1  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 48
Default Another deletion on 2019s

Driving a 2019 loaner while the 2018 is in the shop for annular service and a couple warranty items.

We had noted losing the door pocket lights on the 2019 and not being able to drop the center screen while driving (the screen one being chalked up to government regulations). And I guess the jack is no longer a no-cost option...

But I quickly noticed the deletion of the overhead button that only turned on the rear lights. Besides hating the look of dead buttons on vehicles, we actually make good use on trips when our toddler wants light in the back and we don't need the distraction up front. Or want to check on the kids while driving at night.

Really glad we bought our 2018. Are they just trying to save a few pennies per vehicle? Like the genius who removed a single olive from each airline meal back in the day?
randomman1 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 09:46 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
hayde_bre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 966
Default

What purpose would it serve to remove that button? I love that button, not only turn on the rear light but also I use that turn them off when kids forget them on after getting out.
hayde_bre is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 10:48 AM
  #3  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 48
Default

Originally Posted by hayde_bre View Post
What purpose would it serve to remove that button? I love that button, not only turn on the rear light but also I use that turn them off when kids forget them on after getting out.
I can only assume it saved them $1 per car...
randomman1 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:22 AM
  #4  
AudiWorld Member
 
CountLaszlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 87
Default

Originally Posted by randomman1 View Post
Driving a 2019 loaner while the 2018 is in the shop for annular service and a couple warranty items.

We had noted losing the door pocket lights on the 2019 and not being able to drop the center screen while driving (the screen one being chalked up to government regulations). And I guess the jack is no longer a no-cost option...

But I quickly noticed the deletion of the overhead button that only turned on the rear lights. Besides hating the look of dead buttons on vehicles, we actually make good use on trips when our toddler wants light in the back and we don't need the distraction up front. Or want to check on the kids while driving at night.

Really glad we bought our 2018. Are they just trying to save a few pennies per vehicle? Like the genius who removed a single olive from each airline meal back in the day?
The screen default is due to new laws.

The rest I have zero idea. I have a 19.
CountLaszlo is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 01:18 PM
  #5  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 125
Default

On the other hand more 2019s have soft close doors than before.
sickk23 is offline  
Old 06-10-2019, 02:58 PM
  #6  
AudiWorld Member
 
Astropup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Oregon
Posts: 133
Default

Any way to use an OBD device to reprogram the screen down while driving? Typical stupid law. Since it has two screens anyway, that makes no sense.

But then I guess I am stupid for expecting laws to actually make sense.

Last edited by Astropup; 06-10-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Astropup is online now  
Old 06-10-2019, 03:52 PM
  #7  
AudiWorld Super User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 2,335
Default

Originally Posted by Astropup View Post
Any way to use an OBD device to reprogram the screen down while driving? Typical stupid law. Since it has two screens anyway, that makes no sense.

But then I guess I am stupid for expecting laws to actually make sense.
Virtual cockpit has nothing to do with the center screen

the law states that backup cameras were now mandatory on all new cars sold in the US as of spring last year, and, when shifting into reverse, the image has to show in a prescribed number of seconds. There is not enough time for the screen to rise and show the image, and so, the screen is up when the car is on

the single button still puts all the interior lights on at once, and I the fronts are so small and concentrated, I wouldn't consider them a distraction.

The jack was a no cost option for part of the MY19 model year IIRC. It now is $40. But runflats used to be standard, and now, they are a no cost option (choose conventional or runflat, same price on both 19's and 20's). Black Optics used to only come with summer tires, now comes with all seasons, warm weather is now standard on a Prestige. There are always running changes made. Not all of them are cost cutting measures, sometimes they are supplier related
SCarGuy is online now  
Old 06-10-2019, 08:06 PM
  #8  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 444
Default My 2018 Q7 Prestige Doesn't Seem to Have that Button.

I can't find any overhead button that controls only the rear seat lights in my 2018 Q7. Can someone post a picture of that button?
AUDIQSS is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:18 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Member
 
Lectoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Asheville, NC USA
Posts: 275
Default

Lectoid is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 07:52 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 48
Default

Originally Posted by Lectoid View Post
This picture is missing the button too. Would be in the bottom left. I'll get a picture when I get my car back.
randomman1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another deletion on 2019s


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: