Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Any Independent Service Shops in FL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Independent Service Shops in FL?

I just got my 2003 Honda Pilot (185k) back from the independent mechanic I've been using for a decade. I asked him about the Audi and all he said was that he doesn't work on German cars because it is not cost effective. He said that Florida is hard on German cars because of the type of plastic they use. He said nobody works on them so you are stuck paying whatever the dealer wants to charge. He said no one stocks parts except the most basic things.

Any comments on these concerns would be appreciated.

Last edited by uberwgn; 11-11-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

on newer models you need certain proprietary VAG VAS tools and diagnostic tools which cost a great deal of money. if a shop doesn't turn enough wrenches on a specific model or marque it doesn't make sense to spend all that money on a machine that has a break even point and a point of profitability so far down the road. some of these diag and calibration tools start at $3800 and go up from there.

champion in pampono beach is an amazing shop that works on all things german...
Old 11-11-2016, 03:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
on newer models you need certain proprietary VAG VAS tools and diagnostic tools which cost a great deal of money.
My mechanic told me that there was a piece of equipment where the software for Audi was more expensive than the comparable software and the device together for the Honda.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Florida Guy

There have to be other Audi owners in FL

You might post the city you are near and ask what others are doing for service if you intend to keep the car for the long run. (Many owners of hi-line Euro cars will keep the vehicle 'til warranty runs out and then turn it in. << For many folks, I see this as a practical solution.)

There are plenty of people here with hi-mileage Audis and I suspect many have purchased VCDS and are tending to basic maintenance themselves, myself included. If service and the related cost are still your primary concern, stick with an Asian car. You may not be a candidate for a hi-line Euro car.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd go to the regional section of the forum and ask people there who are in your area they are using for a mechanic.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Florida Guy
I just got my 2003 Honda Pilot (185k) back from the independent mechanic I've been using for a decade. I asked him about the Audi and all he said was that he doesn't work on German cars because it is not cost effective. He said that Florida is hard on German cars because of the type of plastic they use. He said nobody works on them so you are stuck paying whatever the dealer wants to charge. He said no one stocks parts except the most basic things.

Florida is hard on German cars because of the type of plastic they use? What is he living in 1999?
Old 11-15-2016, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

i am not sure what the 1999 comment has to do with anything but materials in vehicles and paint were better pre-recession than post.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iconoclast
i am not sure what the 1999 comment has to do with anything but materials in vehicles and paint were better pre-recession than post.
I'm referring to the severe cost cutting measures of European automakers during the late 1990's and into the 2000's.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Expert

it's worse now than ever before... wait until you see how VAG plans to make up for losses from "dieselgate".
Old 11-18-2016, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like they're starting on the labor side: Volkswagen plans 30,000 job cuts worldwide - BBC News

Quick Reply: Any Independent Service Shops in FL?