Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Anybody Order a Samurai Gray Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynJim
I ordered Samurai Gray thinking it would be darker than Graphite but looking at the colors on the build out sites (still not listed on Audiusa.com) like autobutel the color looks lighter. Also looks like it might be a no cost option. Anyone have updated info on the color? Thinking I might jump to Orca Black.
https://www.autobytel.com/audi/q7/2018/configurator/
I concur. The photo appears to be Graphite Gray, and the autobytel configurator looks bogus for all of the colors.

Originally Posted by gassermd
Attachment 91239

The Samurai Grey is definitely darker. Autobytel picks colors based on whatever audi makes available, so I would agree with erwheezy that it is probably just mislabelled. Here is a not great photo taken by me when I was sending pics of the swatches to my wife. The Samurai Gray was definitely darker, though it is a little harder to tell because of the lighting in the photo and my lack of skills.
My car is still on hold, SA has not been able to figure out if it is the paint or the BOP. Hopefully will complete production soon.
Were those actual painted metal samples that you photographed? All I have seen so far is the glossy chips in the brochure. If so, how would you describe the Samurai relative to the Graphite? Did you see those at a US dealer?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. Based on this I think I'll stick with the Samurai. I really wish I could see it in person before my order is locked but that's not likely I guess.

Gassermd - does the Samurai sample appear less metallic (shiny) than the graphite?
Old 11-14-2017, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by socalsharky
I concur. The photo appears to be Graphite Gray, and the autobytel configurator looks bogus for all of the colors.

Were those actual painted metal samples that you photographed? All I have seen so far is the glossy chips in the brochure. If so, how would you describe the Samurai relative to the Graphite? Did you see those at a US dealer?
@socalsharky and bklynJim These were just the chips that they showed me at the dealership on laminated cards, probably not much better than the brochure, but i was able to compare them side by side. The graphite gray has that beige tinge to it which makes it appear a little lighter. The Samurai Gray was definitely a darker deeper shade though still with the metallic finish, more along the lines of daytona gray in terms of shade that others have mentioned in other threads. The sample cards were not that much larger than the brochure (maybe 2x3 inches,) so it was hard to tell if there was that same look of another color like GG, but convinced myself that maybe there was a blueish hue (I could be totally wrong about that.) My understanding is that all the dealerships have the reams of flashcards that have the colors for comparison. the one i flipped through had all the Q7 colors from the present generation both new ones and old ones. My SA said it was to give buyers at least some idea of the color change/ differences.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by quattro0323
Well visited my dealer and they pulled a 2018 Q7 Prestige with adaptive suspension. Took it for a spin and the car was awesome.
Tested the soft closed doors, kick tail gate, lowering load in back.
Oh, my timeline is on schedule.
Today my order got bumped from a mid-Jan to mid-Mar ETA. My dealer looked in his system and said all the Samurai Gray orders in the NYC region got pushed back two months. Might need to switch colors -- I've asked him if Graphite is still being offered (and on a reasonable schedule).
Old 11-14-2017, 10:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My dealer originally said late January as well. I asked SCarGuy on here to run the Comm # which shows mid March.

​​Actual Production Week0718Assigned PortDavisville, RICurrent LocationFactoryRailheadCarrierOcean Shipping VesselHoldsNoOrder Created10/18/2017Factory Submitted10/23/2017Frozen to ChangesProduction Week0718Production Complete02/16/2018 (ETA)Ship Departure03/03/2018 (ETA)Domestic Port Arrived03/17/2018 (ETA)Released to Carrier03/19/2018 (ETA)Rail LoadRail UnloadTruck LoadDealer Delivery03/12/2018 - 04/01/2018 (ETA)

Old 11-15-2017, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good grief. Was hoping to see Samurai Gray in person before ordering. If they don't start hitting until Mid March I might as well wait to order a 2019!
Old 11-15-2017, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, no BOP on mine so that's not the production holdup.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bklynJim
Also, no BOP on mine so that's not the production holdup.
No BOP here either. The paint is definitely the issue. Have you asked if it is possible to change an existing order to Graphite for more timely delivery? I haven't gotten a clear answer on that.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I tried to order graphite originally as my advisor had said it was possible but when we were placing the order it showed graphite was no longer in production. I think I'm going to wait for Samurai. April isn't that far away!
Old 11-15-2017, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Major delay

I order Q7, Samurai gray in Sep. 2017, initially the delivery date was end of Nov. got pushed to end of Dec. and now it got pushed again to Feb-Mar.
Decided to cancel this order and got the Graphite gray instead.

Quick Reply: Anybody Order a Samurai Gray Q7?