AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Anyone else: mildew? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/anyone-else-mildew-2968034/)

whyman 02-28-2019 03:17 PM

Anyone else: mildew?

Weird ass smell from Air Vents,

Smells like Wet Dog,

or Rotting food,

or Pool of Saliva,

Tried to put alcohol near vents, All I smell is alcohol, once it dissipates, and I turn on Air Blower, Smell this bad smell again

JT4 03-01-2019 02:55 AM

Maybe it's time for a cabin filter change? Even if it's not time for a change based on mileage or time, sometimes based on the environment you drive in it may warrant a change sooner.. For example, some CA members have changed their filter ahead of time due to the wildfires they experienced..

Check under your hood, if the smell is that bad it could be that a rodent crawled up under your hood and left a mess or died.. .

whyman 03-01-2019 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by JT4 (Post 25283322)
Maybe it's time for a cabin filter change? Even if it's not time for a change based on mileage or time, sometimes based on the environment you drive in it may warrant a change sooner.. For example, some CA members have changed their filter ahead of time due to the wildfires they experienced..

Check under your hood, if the smell is that bad it could be that a rodent crawled up under your hood and left a mess or died.. .

changed Cabin air filter already

erwheezy 03-01-2019 02:19 PM

I had this issue before. I think it's moisture building up from running the A/C with the system on re circulation. I took out the cabin filter ran the system on high with the recirculation off and sprayed lysol disinfectant spray into the outisde vent..

Corgiman 03-02-2019 06:00 AM

That sounds like mold buildup on the evaporator. Not sure how to clear it out however.

smacky 03-02-2019 06:12 AM

Someone suggested spraying Ozium in to the vents on the footwell while the AC was recirculating air. I've heard Lysol, too, but I've heard good things about Ozium and people seemed more open to doing that rather than Lysol disinfectant.

BigKutta 03-02-2019 06:42 AM

Is your "AC" on, or do you turn that off while running the heat in the winter?

Corgiman 03-02-2019 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by smacky (Post 25283867)
Someone suggested spraying Ozium in to the vents on the footwell while the AC was recirculating air. I've heard Lysol, too, but I've heard good things about Ozium and people seemed more open to doing that rather than Lysol disinfectant.

Quick Google and it looks like there are various kits out there to clean the evaporator. Also maybe the evaporator drain is clogged so water is not draining well? Just a guess.

Blake P 03-04-2019 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by BigKutta (Post 25283881)
Is your "AC" on, or do you turn that off while running the heat in the winter?

I always use the AC button to turn on my HVAC, regardless of the temperature. I feel like when I've used the heater with the AC button off in the past the windows fog up.

BigKutta 03-04-2019 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Blake P (Post 25284903)
I always use the AC button to turn on my HVAC, regardless of the temperature. I feel like when I've used the heater with the AC button off in the past the windows fog up.

Yeah, you are supposed to, hence was asking the OP