Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 / Q8 > Audi Q7 > Q7 MKII Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with rear seat tablets?

Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anyone have experience with rear seat tablets?

Old 01-24-2016, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have experience with rear seat tablets?

My Q7 has got the pre-wiring. If anyone has them, I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

question...when you get the wiring do you get tablet holders/clips too or just the wiring? Its impossible to figure out on the audi website...Clearly you can buy their 'tablets' for $1000+ but I'm interested in using my own ipads. tx
Old 01-25-2016, 03:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jkwelsh View Post
The Audi "tablets" are nothing more that LCD screens with a built in DVD slot and some IR headphones. There is no "tablet" functionality (i.e. no internet/apps/facebook/streaming etc)

Doing an iPad install is absolutely the way to go, especially if this is to keep kids entertained on longer journeys. You can get iPad headrest mounts (search fleabay) but honestly, most people will use a tablet in their hands rather then mounted on the seat backs - which tend to be too far away from the real seat passenger to be comfortable to use. The Audi OEM system is just a DVD player, so thats happy attached to the back of the front seats, you don't need to touch the screen.

If you have MMI 3G+, and you have the wifi hotspot fitted/enabled, then you can hook any iPads up to you our in-car hotspot as well.

Just need a power hook up point(s) and your done.
Thanks
Great info. So basically the pre-wiring is just a connection. Is it USB I hope?
Old 01-25-2016, 03:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The info given in this thread about the tablets is not correct. They do function as a tablet and more(connection to the cars systems).

Name:  photo887.jpg
Views: 6739
Size:  32.1 KB

Whether it is worth the cost versus a couple of iPads is a very legitimate question and one I considered myself, but you a spreading disinformation that is not based on fact.

There are photos of the tablets in earlier threads.

Last edited by Rheagar; 01-25-2016 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:30 AM
RAF_S7

Ah, my bad and apologies to the OP.

I was going by the options available for the pre-facelift Q7 platform.

I have deleted my earlier comment

Last edited by jkwelsh; 01-25-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is for the old Q7 (2007-2009)
Old 01-25-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A4rooster View Post
This is for the old Q7 (2007-2009)
You are absolutely right. I've deleted my post. Hopefully they will come out something similar for the new Q7s, soon.

Last edited by moncsicsi; 01-25-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

so back to my original question as I still can't make out what comes with the $200 'prep' for tablet...is it a connection that is USB based so that I can plug my ipad into it? I'm assuming I would have to buy my own ipad holder that attaches to back seat... If there is no USB and the connector is designed only for the Audi tablets, then it makes no sense to add this to the car if I'm never going to by the audi tablets...
Old 01-25-2016, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I share your same sentiments. The only reason I might add is that it seems to include the tablet socket plug-in in the back of the seat. It serves as both the electrical (data and power) connection as well as a means to support the tablet. I'm hoping the aftermarket solution will be a iPad holder that uses that unique plug for power. Hoping..
Old 01-25-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by andy603 View Post
so back to my original question as I still can't make out what comes with the $200 'prep' for tablet...is it a connection that is USB based so that I can plug my ipad into it? I'm assuming I would have to buy my own ipad holder that attaches to back seat... If there is no USB and the connector is designed only for the Audi tablets, then it makes no sense to add this to the car if I'm never going to by the audi tablets...
It is a very unobtrusive solution, apparent only if you look for it.

On the back of the front seats, the headrest mount has a small openable flap to insert the tablets adapter for power and connectivity.

Unless you are looking for it, it is virtually impossible to discern. Overall, an elegant solution.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with rear seat tablets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: