Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Anyone have experience with rear seat tablets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, correct me if I am wrong, but it seems an iPad receiving 3G or 4G connectivity wirelessly, and fully charged with several hours of battery life, could be mounted to the back of the seat/headrest with essentially the same functionality as the Audi tablet. You could obviously plug in the lightening cable with use adapter to a 12v outlet to recharge or continuously charge the iPad. Is this correct?

I'm not seeing what the pre-wiring gets me, other than the ability to add Audi's proprietary (and overly expensive) tablet in the future. The tablet, as I understand it, has a built-in DVD player, but other than that it doesn't do anything else that an iPad (which can obviously stream movies) can.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have them. The kids like them a lot. It is nice that you can plug them into the back of the headrest to charge. Work like a slightly limited Android tablet. They have plastic "glass" so safe in accidents. You can play netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, etc. Can download games.

Only thing I can't figure out is a way to stream the DVD player output to the tablets. There is almost no info out there on the system.

The tablets are easily the best car entertainment system I have seen. Everyone should get the pre wiring. As for the tablets, just depends on your kids. Younger ones for sure they are great. Teens just use iPads.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Post 9 has a bunch of pics.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post24763562
Old 01-25-2016, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rheagar
The info given in this thread about the tablets is not correct. They do function as a tablet and more(connection to the cars systems).

AUDI Q7 Rear Seat Entertainment Audi tablet - YouTube

Attachment 53046

Whether it is worth the cost versus a couple of iPads is a very legitimate question and one I considered myself, but you a spreading disinformation that is not based on fact.

There are photos of the tablets in earlier threads.
The video above is better than the current tablets. They are a bit bulkier and you can't control the navigation or music in the car.

Last edited by baltfan; 01-25-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=baltfan;24769416
Everyone should get the pre wiring. As for the tablets, just depends on your kids. Younger ones for sure they are great. Teens just use iPads.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I don't understand this comment. The pre wiring *only* works for Audi's own tablet so unless you intend to add that purchase you should not get the prewiring unless of course you think it helps with resale down the road.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zurichch
Sorry but I don't understand this comment. The pre wiring *only* works for Audi's own tablet so unless you intend to add that purchase you should not get the prewiring unless of course you think it helps with resale down the road.
I think you will get your $150 back and more in resale value. The pre wiring is very unobtrusive.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:47 AM
mbr
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by baltfan
I think you will get your $150 back and more in resale value. The pre wiring is very unobtrusive.
We plan to keep the Q7 for 5 years. By then, the Audi tablets will probably be obsolete. I used the $150 to buy the rear bumper cover film which will reduce scratches from kids loading sports gear into tailgate and will increase resale value.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

As they worked out a solution for the old Q7 to use iPads in the place of the Audi entertainment system, I believe (in time) there will be a similar solution available for the new Q7. Maybe from a third party, not from Audi. The vehicle is too new. We have to give time to companies to get model specific products like floor mats, Thule boxes, etc. for this car. I also think with future model years our options will broaden. My biggest gripe with this vehicle was that I couldn't get the S-line exterior package that makes the car sportier looking. Since I'm too impatient and don't want to wait another model year, I have to suck it up and live with what's available now.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mbr
We plan to keep the Q7 for 5 years. By then, the Audi tablets will probably be obsolete. I used the $150 to buy the rear bumper cover film which will reduce scratches from kids loading sports gear into tailgate and will increase resale value.
I don't think they will be obsolete. The system they created appears to be upgradeable. I am sure the tablets and system will get thinner and better over time but still get power from the back of the seats. But I understand your thought process.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by baltfan
I have them. The kids like them a lot. It is nice that you can plug them into the back of the headrest to charge. Work like a slightly limited Android tablet. They have plastic "glass" so safe in accidents. You can play netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, etc. Can download games.

Only thing I can't figure out is a way to stream the DVD player output to the tablets. There is almost no info out there on the system.

The tablets are easily the best car entertainment system I have seen. Everyone should get the pre wiring. As for the tablets, just depends on your kids. Younger ones for sure they are great. Teens just use iPads.
Hi. I am in the process of ordering a Q7 - my first Audi ever.

I asked my dealer this very same question about streaming DVD output to the rear tablets, and it does not appear to be possible, which is quite disappointing:

Rear Entertainment operates independently of the front DVD drive/screen. It has HDMI, USB and SD card reader and head phone jacks do you can play videos and games from external drives, cards or sticks and apps for each rear screen either independently or viewed together. May be used outside the car as well.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with rear seat tablets?