Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Anyone have issues with their soft close doors?

Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Jistel
My soft close feature works about 60% of the time. Only affects the front doors. Dealer has replaced everything in the driver's door including the wiring harness. Waiting on Audi to say what the next move is. Since the car was new (I've had it a year) the soft close feature would periodically stop working on all the doors but then work fine the next time I started the car. Happened maybe 5-6 times. Then I got a "driver door malfunction" "parking brake malfunction " and "oil level malfunction" all at the same time. They fixed the problems but then the soft close feature began to act up. It may work 10-15 times perfectly and then have a temper tantrum and not work 5-6 times. They know what's wrong - the system doesn't wake up and recognize the door needs to close. The repair eludes them. Audi in Germany is looking at the issue. I've had several other cars with soft close and they worked perfectly.
I'm coming up to a year *maybe 11 months now* and no issues with soft close (knock on wood).
Old 02-06-2018, 04:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mild hijack...I'm picking up an '18 Prestige this week. First vehicle with soft close doors. What's the significance of this feature?
Old 02-06-2018, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

None so far, but too early for me.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CUE SEVEN
Mild hijack...I'm picking up an '18 Prestige this week. First vehicle with soft close doors. What's the significance of this feature?
Have them on my X5; they can be sort of "gee whiz" tech, but I suppose are a functional safety feature since the doors will close completely if you don't quite fully close them. They do allow for quieter closing without "slamming," but you can still close them normally without affecting the system.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine work as designed, however I need a fix for my "slam-door family". Interestingly, if the door fails to close, as soon as I start to drive, it will close if ajar.

Steve
Old 02-06-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sdevoll
Mine work as designed, however I need a fix for my "slam-door family". Interestingly, if the door fails to close, as soon as I start to drive, it will close if ajar.

Steve
You should not have to drive for the door to close. The moment it hits the latch it should close the rest of the way. Mine will finish closing if I touch the door handle or bump the door from the inside but this is not normal.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CUE SEVEN
you just touch the door to the latch gently and an electric motor finishes closing the door.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Jistel
You should not have to drive for the door to close. The moment it hits the latch it should close the rest of the way. Mine will finish closing if I touch the door handle or bump the door from the inside but this is not normal.
Ill have to pay closer attention the next time it happens (its rare). It is quite possible I may have my elbow against the door preventing it from closing and not realizing it. Until reading this thread, I never gave it much thought.

Steve
Old 02-07-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine hardly ever engage. 9 out of 10 times, the doors close so easily that they are already completely shut before it would even trigger the soft close feature - and no, I'm not slamming my doors at all..
Old 02-07-2018, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
Mine hardly ever engage. 9 out of 10 times, the doors close so easily that they are already completely shut before it would even trigger the soft close feature - and no, I'm not slamming my doors at all..
Experience in our X5s is that the door needs to be in the "almost closed" state - probably 1/4" or so from actually closing, with the door/frame in contact. The purpose I think is that if you haven't quite closed the door but think you have, soft close will snug it up to all the way closed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have issues with their soft close doors?