AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MKII Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/)
-   -   Audi Connect (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/audi-connect-2947146/)

Doc H 04-13-2018 08:42 PM

Audi Connect

General Audi Connect questions if anyone knows - I understand that Google Earth will no longer be functional after Dec 2020 for all MY2018 and earlier Audis (something my dealership neglected to point out on my yet-to-be-delivered Q7s, so I'll have a couple of years to use a tech feature that was one of the brand's primary selling and advertising points for me before it disappears). But that aside, does anyone know if Google Voice Search also vanishes? How about myAudi Destinations? Map updates? It seems in the fine print of services on their USA site, Audi could discontinue any and all of these features (as online services) at their (or the online provider's) discretion. Sort of an open ended, "we may at any time discontinue a key feature of your car." I suppose I am asking if Audi is a standup company that will support purchasers of their automobiles, because frankly, with the legal jargon and Audi's history, I'm wondering. Maybe GE isn't a key feature (although they certainly promote it); maybe traffic info isn't either, or voice searches. And certainly Audi may be at the mercy of software providers as well. Point is, Audi seems to indicate Connect services may not be available for any MY17-20 after 2021. Doesn't say they WON'T be, but that's just three years away ladies and gents, and Audi clearly says they don't HAVE to be. Consider the herd spooked....

RickObe 04-14-2018 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Doc H (Post 25138374)
General Audi Connect questions if anyone knows - I understand that Google Earth will no longer be functional after Dec 2020 for all MY2018 and earlier Audis (something my dealership neglected to point out on my yet-to-be-delivered Q7s, so I'll have a couple of years to use a tech feature that was one of the brand's primary selling and advertising points for me before it disappears). But that aside, does anyone know if Google Voice Search also vanishes? How about myAudi Destinations? Map updates? It seems in the fine print of services on their USA site, Audi could discontinue any and all of these features (as online services) at their (or the online provider's) discretion. Sort of an open ended, "we may at any time discontinue a key feature of your car." I suppose I am asking if Audi is a standup company that will support purchasers of their automobiles, because frankly, with the legal jargon and Audi's history, I'm wondering. Maybe GE isn't a key feature (although they certainly promote it); maybe traffic info isn't either, or voice searches. And certainly Audi may be at the mercy of software providers as well. Point is, Audi seems to indicate Connect services may not be available for any MY17-20 after 2021. Doesn't say they WON'T be, but that's just three years away ladies and gents, and Audi clearly says they don't HAVE to be. Consider the herd spooked....

Personally, I would be very happy if this happens and it causes them to lower the subscription price so I can get traffic info (all I really want/need) again without spending $28 a month for it.

Doc H 04-14-2018 05:57 AM

Definitely agree about lowering the subscription price if functionality is reduced - though of course Audi doesn't have to. Just unique to me that Audi actively promotes all the gee whiz features of the Virtual Cockpit as distinguishing them from other manufacturers, while at the same time deleting one of their primary bits of eye candy from their most current platforms. Not that Audi wants to (Audi points the finger at Google), but their Connect system clearly seems to be on shaky ground based on Audi's multiple - very small print - disclaimers on their site. I don't expect my year X auto to be retrofitted with all the new magic from subsequent generations, but I have never purchased an auto where features that were present when I purchased it were removed soon after I bought it (discounting the need for a paid subscription, which I understand). And according to Audi, all of the connectivity could be removed by 2021. Or not. I'm just taking them at their word. I expect it won't be, but the only hard fact I have to go on is that they are planning on removing one from my yet-to-be-delivered cars within a couple of years after purchase, end of story. I've honestly never seen anything like the legal-ese on Audi's site from any other manufacturers; BMW and MB - fellow Germans - certainly have nothing like it. I'd like to have confidence that my car will continue to do whatever it did when I bought it, as I'm sure everyone would. There's a reason most of us purchased car A over car B, a lot of it depending on specific features. If one manufacturer removes features retroactively (now clearly possible with all the software in vehicles), willing or not, trust in the brand goes out the window.

Rjim 04-14-2018 09:39 AM

Mine expired a couple of weeks ago. What I miss is Google Earth map overlays and online destinations. Those functions and a few more I rarely use are still available on my 2014 A6 for $15 per month. For the Q7 Connect to cost $33 per month is ridiculous.

smacky 04-14-2018 09:49 AM

My trial sub has another 2 or 3 months left on it so I can't test out what I'm about to say and say for sure 100%, but if you have an Android phone, using Android Auto should give you most of the Google Maps functionality so long as your phone is plugged in or connected to MMI.

It doesn't show up on the Virtual Cockpit screen on the dash but it will show up on the center screen and you can avoid using Audi's native nav system. Voice search does work with Android Auto and what I do is say "OK, Google" without even pressing the voice command button. My phone picks it up while driving, either via the phone or via the mic in the car through bluetooth. I'm not sure which one it is.

So for anyone that did not renew their trial for Connect, try using Android Auto and see what exactly is different from having Connect, in terms of Google Services from Connect. In my experience, it's just missing having the satellite view of Google Maps show up on the VC.

BigKutta 04-14-2018 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rjim (Post 25138524)
Mine expired a couple of weeks ago. What I miss is Google Earth map overlays and online destinations. Those functions and a few more I rarely use are still available on my 2014 A6 for $15 per month. For the Q7 Connect to cost $33 per month is ridiculous.

Even the previous gen Q7 offers this for $10-15 per month and I believe that includes some data. So pathetic

hammer458 04-15-2018 06:05 AM

Audi is going to have to do something to reduce the " noise" as Dec 2020 gets close. Think about it... Audi claims their '019 models will be comparable to GE ... Really,,,,But for how long ??! 2023 /4? Until the next major GE release happens Maybe Audi will leverage lINRX ( traffic overlay ) with more dynamics, or overall reduce pricing. on the package
Doing nothing will cause suspicion for future buyers

Doc H 04-15-2018 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by hammer458 (Post 25138777)
Audi is going to have to do something to reduce the " noise" as Dec 2020 gets close. Think about it... Audi claims their '019 models will be comparable to GE ... Really,,,,But for how long ??! 2023 /4? Until the next major GE release happens Maybe Audi will leverage lINRX ( traffic overlay ) with more dynamics, or overall reduce pricing. on the package
Doing nothing will cause suspicion for future buyers

It has caused suspicion for current buyers. Perhaps repeat buyers and brand loyalty is not in Audi's business model. This has been a major negative for me, not specifically because I would use GE so much (maybe not), but because Audi can delete a feature I purchased with the car ad-lib (their fault or not), with just a "sorry." I have not actually commited the cash (other than my deposits) for new Audi's, but given Audi-VW's history with Dieselgate (VW Group has probably single-handedly eliminated the possibility of diesel passenger cars going forward, not just US but globally), if I thought for a minute they were contemplating any further reduction in functionality of cars I had already purchased, I would cut my losses and return to BMW, warts and all, and an equivalent vehicle in virtually every way other than the tech - soon to be limited by Audi. "Read the fine print" and "sorry" is not good enough.

BigBoy11 04-15-2018 07:25 AM

This issue doesn’t just apply to Audi but to all auto manufacturers. All of them have had the disclaimer language as far back as I can remember to the 1960’s when I first bought a new car. It is more of an issue now though because of rapidly changing technology and all the techno-whiz features in a modern automobile. As to GE, AudiConnect, etc., the 3 major German car companies have embarked on a joint venture to provide the same platform for nav, wifi, connectivity services so GE will be going away on MB, BMW, Audi, and replaced by their new proprietary services. And if you can afford to buy one, you can afford a monthly subscription fee in their minds.

Doc H 04-15-2018 07:39 AM

I must have missed the disclaimers on BMW's NA site, or in my vehicle warranty, which seems to pretty thoroughly spell out BMW's responsibilities. I doesn't say anywhere I can find that they can remove technology from my cars post-purchase. And nowhere could I find that BMW Connect services "may not be available after (let's pick a year) 2021 for equipped MY17-20 vehicles." I don't own a MB, but similarly I couldn't locate equivalent disclaimers on their site either. Perhaps they are elsewhere?