Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Connect

Old 04-15-2018, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
I've mentioned Android Auto a few times but something tells me I'm missing something because people are still worried about Google Maps on their Virtual Cockpit (dash). I use Android Auto every time I'm in the car. To make calls, listen to music, and occasionally use Google Maps for navigation. It still has the benefits of Google, it just doesn't show the satellite view on the VC. Instead, it's the terrain map on the center screen. It's different, but not a deal break for me. Voice control, when AA is activated, doesn't even require a button press. You just say "OK, Google" and the phone picks it up and waits for a command. It will follow "complex" commands such as "take me to the nearest gas station" instead of requiring you to state an address or specific brand of gas station.

This is enough for me and it's free and is unaffected by the Connect subscription.

For those don't use Android Auto or Apple Car, you will always have the Audi navigation. I've never used it, but it's there. You're not stuck without a navigation system in your, with or without your phone.

I was not aware of this. We have an MB and I did notice the navigation on there is not too different from Google Earth, in terms of the graphics/layout of the maps. If that indeed is HERE nav, then there's nothing to worry about. It's a good looking system. It's a MY15 S Class so I'm not sure just how recent the HERE acquisition was and when their services were implemented. What sucks is this car isn't Android Auto compatible, but our W213 does. I don't know if they can be retro-fitted, but Android Auto on our Q7 has ruined other cars for me. Android Auto has been incredible, especially when lost in an unfamiliar place and you just need to get gas or food or something. Hands-free and voice activation further eases the stress.

And it doesn't look like that's going away if Audi lets the Google agreement expire.
I find AA a stopgap solution at best. It looks out of place and doesn't play well with all the displays in today's cars. It's why Audi is moving to embedded Android, which is Android Auto under the hood, but skinned by Audi so it looks like it's part of the car. I hear you about ease of use, but it seems a lot of folks don't really explore the MMI's capabilities. For example to find a gas station in an unfamiliar area just press the voice button and say "I need gas" and the MMI will find the nearest gas stations. For food, just say "I'm hungry" and it will find the nearest restaurants. Say "I need coffee" and it finds the nearest Starbucks etc. With Audi connect you get the full Google search capabilities that AA offers. All you have to say is Google Search "<search command>". Anything Google understands can be said after Google Search. I personally prefer the convenience of not having to plug in the phone to do all this. The MMI is always there and ready. I don't have to remember to connect the phone, but I do look forward to the new embedded Android system.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. I appreciate the answers.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superswiss
I find AA a stopgap solution at best. It looks out of place and doesn't play well with all the displays in today's cars. It's why Audi is moving to embedded Android, which is Android Auto under the hood, but skinned by Audi so it looks like it's part of the car. I hear you about ease of use, but it seems a lot of folks don't really explore the MMI's capabilities. For example to find a gas station in an unfamiliar area just press the voice button and say "I need gas" and the MMI will find the nearest gas stations. For food, just say "I'm hungry" and it will find the nearest restaurants. Say "I need coffee" and it finds the nearest Starbucks etc. With Audi connect you get the full Google search capabilities that AA offers. All you have to say is Google Search "<search command>". Anything Google understands can be said after Google Search. I personally prefer the convenience of not having to plug in the phone to do all this. The MMI is always there and ready. I don't have to remember to connect the phone, but I do look forward to the new embedded Android system.

That would be ideal for most, to not have to connect the phone and activate AA. However, I have a few modified apps on my phone that I play through AA. Spotify is one, as is TuneInRadio. They are different from the versions that are in the AA Google Play Store so it still benefits me to run them off my phone. Also, it charges my phone, which is nice.

But for most people, simply having a system like Google's for getting information and playing media would be best. MMI Connect does offer more information, like parking availability and weather and news, but I personally don't read that information in the car, especially news and weather. I'm sure there's more that Connect does but it just too pricey for what it does, in my opinion. I know Audis are luxury cars, especially our Q7s but $400 is a lot for what it offers a lot of people. And I think it would be much better received if the software was always there and Audi only charged for data, but that too is a bit unreasonable. It would be nice to be able to buy a SIM from a carrier of our choice with the data amount of our choice and go from there.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
I think therein lies the rub and the concern. MY19 and forward according to Audi is covered by hardware updates. MY18 owners (the year we are currently in, with cars yet undelivered to some) have already been told by Audi that GE will be non-functional in 2020. Audi did NOT say a new platform would be retrofitted, or software would be updated, or new Navigation features would be forthcoming, or hardware would be replaced. To the contrary, right on their site in tiny red letters, they state that connectivity features are not guaranteed past 2021 for MY17-20. That's my concern, and I'm sure many others. You could argue that of course they wouldn't do that, that of course connectivity will still be available, that they wouldn't leave earlier (by that meaning 2018 - or maybe 2020 - and earlier) Audi owners stranded. But that's not what Audi says in their written disclaimer, and I'm inclined to take them at their word. The only thing we DO know for certain is that hardware in Audis up through 2018, according to Audi, apparently will not run whatever version of GE will be available in 2020. 2021 gives me some wiggle room, and like Superswiss I'm perfectly happy owning my cars for two or three years and bailing if Audi doesn't follow through. If they don't, my next cars will certainly not be Audis, regardless of the technology they fit or promise in their post-2020 autos....
Just took delivery of a new 2018 Q5 2 weeks ago (the sale person did a great job showcasing Google Earth to support my specific needs) I was not informed of Audi's decision to sunset/desupport Google Earth in 2020, in effect leaving current owners and prospects stranded as Doc H indicated. This is a surprise to me and I am not impressed with Audi's decision. Being a real estate investor (and a software architect) I use GE extensively to scope out the landscape, businesses and other pertinent details surrounding a property to consider for acquisition, all without having to stop and start a lap top simply to use GE.

Navigation-wise, my understanding is that basic map and direction features would continue to be supported either by Here natively (if not already) or by Google Map via Android Auto. I would either pay for the connection charge or simply use Android Auto. However, for my specific aerial/satellite use case (pardon the IT lingo) Audi's plan of taking away a feature that I paid for and relied on leaves me disappointed. I wish I did more research before taking delivery of the vehicle. I also wish Audi and the dealership were more crisp in communication with potential buyers (and journalists/reviewers) about Audi's prominent technological features and popular product roadmap, Google Earth being one of them. I've reached out to Audi and awaiting a response, I am looking for a solution from Audi to provide Google Earth support beyond 2020 to those who needs it. With regular trips of 2,000 miles or more every few months I would be open to participate in beta- testing the solution if needed.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think therein lies the rub and the concern. MY19 and forward according to Audi is covered by hardware updates. MY18 owners (the year we are currently in, with cars yet undelivered to some) have already been told by Audi that GE will be non-functional in 2020. Audi did NOT say a new platform would be retrofitted, or software would be updated, or new Navigation features would be forthcoming, or hardware would be replaced. To the contrary, right on their site in tiny red letters, they state that connectivity features are not guaranteed past 2021 for MY17-20..
So what is it now exactly? Is Audi claiming that MY19 and forward will be good to go OR MY17-20 (which includes MY19 and the refreshed MY20) are not guaranteed past 2021?

I might be reading this wrong, but the two highlighted statements don't go along.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

From Audi USA (buried a couple of layers deep). MY19 hardware compatibility for GE was confirmed by Audi rep on another site, but possibility of no connectivity begs the question. Yes, it is confusing.:

3 Always pay careful attention to the road, and do not drive while distracted. Audi connect should only be used when it is safe and appropriate. Audi connect services and features are optional, provided with the support of authorized affiliated and third-party service providers, and may require additional subscriptions with separate terms and conditions. Available on select models. Certain services collect location information, see Terms of Service for information about how to disable and for other details. Google Earth features will not be available after December 2020 for Model Year 2018 & prior vehicles. Google Earth is a trademark of Google Inc. Connect services are subject to technologies remaining commercially available, such services are not guaranteed, and may not be available after 2021 for equipped MY17-20 vehicles.

4 Online services are subject to change at any time. Google Earth™ features will not be available after December 2020 for MY2018 and older vehicles.

Last edited by Doc H; 08-16-2018 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It may just be a contractual issue...better to surprise owners with a service they thought they'd no longer have (if it works out that way) than to tell them all of a sudden that Google Earth won't be available anymore.

Curious how many Connect Prime subscribers would continue with it without Google Earth.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A6Louie
It may just be a contractual issue...better to surprise owners with a service they thought they'd no longer have (if it works out that way) than to tell them all of a sudden that Google Earth won't be available anymore.

Curious how many Connect Prime subscribers would continue with it without Google Earth.
I've actually turned GE off and prefer the regular GPS view. It's easier to see the roads.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

From Audi USA (buried a couple of layers deep). MY19 hardware compatibility for GE was confirmed by Audi rep on another site, but possibility of no connectivity begs the question. Yes, it is confusing.:

3 Always pay careful attention to the road, and do not drive while distracted. Audi connect should only be used when it is safe and appropriate. Audi connect services and features are optional, provided with the support of authorized affiliated and third-party service providers, and may require additional subscriptions with separate terms and conditions. Available on select models. Certain services collect location information, see Terms of Service for information about how to disable and for other details. Google Earth features will not be available after December 2020 for Model Year 2018 & prior vehicles. Google Earth is a trademark of Google Inc. Connect services are subject to technologies remaining commercially available, such services are not guaranteed, and may not be available after 2021 for equipped MY17-20 vehicles.

4 Online services are subject to change at any time. Google Earth™ features will not be available after December 2020 for MY2018 and older vehicles.
So they way I'm reading this, they are stating that GE won't be available after December 2020 for MY18 and earlier and that Connect services are not guaranteed after 2021 for MY17-20 vehicles.

It seems there is a difference between GE and connect by saying GE will def. be gone on 'older' MYs while connect 'might' not be there after 2021.

Why, we don't know. could also be that they KNOW that there will be an update on MY19 so that former MYs don't work anymore in regards to GE and that they simply don't want to guarantee connect services in general.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 281 Likes on 201 Posts

It would be nice if we could pay for a single month of Prime. My S5 is my daily driver (wife has her own SUV) so I drive Q7 to work about once a week. Waste of $ to pay for an 18-month subscription if it doesn't leave my local area but a few times a year, and I never use it. I would gladly pay maybe $25 for a 30 day subscription for those times I go on a road trip.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Connect